Avalon Hills Civilization Map Project

I have uploaded version 2 of the map pack, which fixes the following issues:

• Enabled random ruins
  • Persia -> starts at the Caspian sea, to balance the map and give them room to expand.
  • Mongols -> start in Afghanistan, central asia, to balance the map and give them room to expand.
  • Added the city state Aralsk (maritime) at Aral lake for balancing reasons
  • Added the city state Sala (maritime) at south Morrocan coast for balancing reasons
  • Changed the city state type of Umm an-Nar from maritime to militaristic for balancing reasons.
  • Moved King Solomons Mines from Lut desert to Gedrosian desert
  • Added Angkor Wat
  • Changed strategic resources in Mesopotamia
  • Removed one Luxury from Samarkand
  • Added or changed variety of additional random starting positions for random games in: Oman, Iran, Turkey, Pakistan

I was going to post something about the ruins before.. I played 2 games on it and thought I must have turned it off somehow or it was a bug. Glad that's fixed!

how am I supposed to run this map on mod menu if it doesnt show as a mod ?

nvm I got it now,
One question do I have to play the map with Emperor difficulty or can I change it to any I want ?

Hi tobmic, you do not have to select mods, because this is not a mod, its only a map. You just have to go through the mod menu to be able to create a game with the map and use the "load szenario" button. The button is only available when you go through the mod menu to open your game. This loads the exact starting positions and city states.

You can choose your difficutly and even play on Deity, if you prefer. All players will start with correct warrior/settler combinations according to their difficulty, like on random maps.

Only game speed setting has no effect somehow, that is why I created three maps for different speeds.

Here is an example I made for another map (please make sure to choose "Dawn of History" as map name):

Spoiler :

I have just done a small version with standard mapsize (66x40). There is just enough space to fit a maximum of 12 civilizations in it. I have chosen the Civs according to create a completely ancient szenario.

(PS: I am also working on a medium version)

Small Version:

Dawn of History Small 66x40 (BNW)

Playable Civs:
(in alphabetical order)

1. Arabia
2. Assyria
3. Carthage
4. Celts
5. Egypt
6. Greece
7. India
8. Indonesia
9. Persia
10. Rome
11. Siam
12. The Huns

Altered TSL:

Persia -> starts at the Caspian sea, to balance the map and give them room to expand.
Siam -> starts in Bangladesh because the map does not include southeast asia.
Indonesia -> Indonesia starts in southern India and fills the gap there. It was historically influenced by the south Indian Chola Empire, so it fits quite well.
See reference for Chola Empire: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_India#mediaviewer/File:Rajendra_map_new.svg

Natural Wonders:

Mount Sinai (Sinai)
Gibraltar Rock (Gibraltar)
Mount Kailash (Matterhorn)
Mount Kailash (Himalaya)
Kilimanjaro (Vesuv)
Kilimanjaro (Ätna)
Krakatau (Santorin)
Great Barrier Reef (Maledives)
King Solomon Mines (Central Asia)
Mount Fuji (Ararat)
Lake Victoria (Source of Nile)
Sri Prada (Sri Lanka)
El Dorado (Angkor Wat)

CS balance:

Maritime: 3
Cultured: 3
Mercantile: 3
Militaristic: 1
Religious: 2

CS count: 12

Map Size: 66 x 40

New Mapfiles are attached to the first post of this thread!

Please make sure you open it via the mod menu and load the scenario, if you want to use the preset cities and resources.

I have a question about the level of difficulty by default Emperor : i get the level back from 6 to 4, is it a problem ? Because I'm afraid with levels superior to level 4, because AI should have too unfair bonus...

What is your answer for that ?

The difficulty is changeable, only speed settings have no effect during szenario. Thats why there are three maps with different speed.

I will add Bison and Cocoa during the next weeks.

I am currently more playing than building.

I would like a lot a "Dawn of History Small" extended to entire Earth following the Avalon Hills feeling...

It would be nice with the last patch and with proper ressources to each region of the World...

With only ancient civs... Like Incas, Mayas, Iroquois, Shoshones, Mongolia, Korea, China, Japan, Siam and Zulus... Maybie Songhai ?

Nice idea shouldn't be ?

When I download the files they are all named attachment.php instead of the file name. Does anyone have any idea why?

Problem fixed. Compatablity mode had to be enabled in IE11 for this site. Never needed it here before.

@Lachlan
Interesting idea (if there would not be the civilization limit). I am still working on the medium version. After finishing that, we will see if I can either use the medium or small version to expand. Sadly I will be on holiday for the next three months, without much access to the internet, so do not expect any updates during this time.

@tonymak
No problem here, use left click, save as...

Must saying that the civs proposed have to be with these in "Dawn History Small"

Only medieval and before civs...

Glad to see you are eventually interested to expand the concept to entire Earth...

:goodjob:

@Erzherzog
The problem with those algorythms you have been using seem to be the same, with those used for scaling and expanding in world builder, if you don't use the right value. It randomly creates bays and lakes around the coastlines, where they should not be. But its nice to be considered as an inspiration.

Yeah, just I didn't use scaling algorithms, I drew maps from scratch...

@Erzherzog
Oh, that map was intended to be that way? I did not know that. Sorry. :blush:
Have you tried the final maps? Do you have any suggestions to improve them?

----------------

@Topic
I have just stumbled over a perfect world map which I will use as reference for a complete world map. It does not exclude Siberia, but instead it is centered roughly at the north pole, which makes these areas look smaller, while others are naturally enlarged in this kind of view. It has been used in a cool board game, which was also published by Avalon Hill, but has been recently recreated as an iOS app. It will certainly make some interesting battles when north pole is finally crossable. I don't know if this has been done before, but I will be working hard on it, as time permits.

There will probably be two scenarios, one with ancient and one with only modern civilizations.

Here is the map of the game I was speaking of:
(The game is called "A brief history of the world")

Nice map, and i tried this game long time ago...
Prefer Civilization...

Nice idea !

:goodjob:

Cant wait too much for playing this map in CivV Completed...

I have already rastered it here on my mac. It will be something close to 90x80 hexes in size, with plenty of space in Europe aswell.

Sadly I can not upload the rastered image, nor can I start working on it, because the SDK and my other usual programs are not working on Mac OS. I will have to wait another month before I am back home.

But that will not hinder me to do the thinking behind it. The map as base material is not very accurate, I will try to improve it where necessary. Especially fixing Indonesia, Ireland, Crete, Greenland, Labrador, Persian Gulf, South Africa, etc.. I hope the result will be an even better map.

PS: The app is fun and very fast if played against AI, compared to Avalon Hills Civilization board game.

Great map! One thing though: due to their isolated location the Celts are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to grabbing ruins. Is there any way to remove the ruins without upsetting the starting and resource locations?

Top Bottom