Faerun

Hey!
I only have one thing to pick on... UNITS!.. Why not ask other modders to use their elven archers or dwarf axemen units in the game...

Well I'm no 3D artist, so I'm reliant on what other modders come up with in that department. Recently there have been some interesting additions in the fantasy units genre, so I may add a few to this mod. This would include a few more quests that involve untrainable units, like spiders.

When I select it, it says it's setting stuff up, but then it brings me to the standard start up screen. And I see nothing about the mod.

Well it's not the normal setup screen... I think there is a different background image to distinguish the Faerun Setup from the normal one. But, yes all the Advanced setup options are available to Faerun. If you want to play on a scenario map, just choose one of the Faerun maps from the map list and tick "Load Scenario".

I am also experiencing difficulties launching this mod. Is it outdated and abondoned ?
No, and no!

My son and I have been enjoying this mod quite a bit. Thanks for all of the time and effort you have put into this project.

Are there any plans to make the mod work with multiplayer...especially hot seat?

I had an interesting bug yesterday. I didn't like the map that I started with so I used the ingame option to regenerate the map on turn 0. After regenerating the map, all players (at lease me and the two AI players I met before restarting) started the game with a strength 23 demon unit.

There are now several fantasy mods out there, and they're all better than Faerun. I realize this mod isn't much used, but there were a few things I never got to that I want to include a large update.

Mainly this will be an update for units. There have been a lot of great additions to the 3d models available and it would be a shame not to include them in this mod. I'll be adding a unique hero for almost every civ in the mod and introducing two new unit systems.

The first creates new damage types for all units: Magical, Piercing, Blunt, Slashing and Special. Various units can have resistances or vulnerabilities to the different types of damage; there will also be promotions to buff each resistance type.

I'm also introducing a new Racial system that will include Human, Elf, Dwarf, Undead, Dragon, Drow, Beast, Fiend, and Orc races. Each racial type has certain inherent strengths and sometimes weaknesses. Each time a basic type of unit is trained, (for example an archer), a civ will be able to upgrade it to any of the Races with which it currently has an alliance. Each civ will have a default Race, and they will always have units of that race available for unit upgrades. But civs will be able to expand the the types of races available for upgrades by befriending city states and major civs, building wonders, choosing certain policies, and completing hero quests. While there will be only a few generic types of trainable units, there will be over 140 total unit upgrades.

I may include support for Hotseat games if this is not a laborious project...

Spoiler :

Excellent news. I think you might be underestimating the amount of people that play your mod. Having unit visuals will definately be a plus.

Great news!!!
GO on FramedArchitect. Your mod is awesome. Baldur's Gate is in Strategy now!

In this save the game consistently hangs on Mithral Hall's turn somewhere around turn 180.

Almost all civs now have a Unique Hero to replace their former dishwatery unique units. Unique heroes are cheaper to train that normal heroes and generally are stronger, faster or have some unique ability.

Spoiler :

Thanks to Sergeus' Custom Missions I'm going to be able to (finally) add spell casting. v.7 will probably include about 20 Cleric, Hero, and Arcanist cast-able spells or abilities. This will remove some of those awkward "build improvement" spells like the Cleric's Glyph of Warding.

I've finished off the spell-casting system and with a little more debugging, I should have a beta version to post here later this week. In the meantime I made this little video (my first ever!) as a demo.
(And a huge thanks, again, to Sergeus for his Custom Missions mod!)

EDIT: Moved video to top post.

I've finished off the spell-casting system and with a little more debugging, I should have a beta version to post here later this week. In the meantime I made this little video (my first ever!) as a demo.

(And a huge thanks, again, to Sergeus for his Custom Missions mod!)

Ooooh! That's really impressive!

I'll have to look into Sergeus' mod to see how he does it... I've dabbled a bit with custom missions, but it's not nearly that sophisticated.

In the meantime, maybe we'll have to dredge up those discussions about how to add custom animations and effects to models, so you can maybe get a spell effect to fire off when you cast those spells...

:goodjob:

This spell mechanism is excellent! But...
1. Does AI knows how to use it?
2. Do you have a visualisation of Spell effects in your future plan?

This spell mechanism is excellent! But...
1. Does AI knows how to use it?
2. Do you have a visualisation of Spell effects in your future plan?

Hi.
1. Yes, the AI can and will cast spells. I didn't write a complex AI script for each spell, rather I laid out some basic parameters. If the parameters are met, then the AI unit randomly chooses a spell to cast. Event units have many spells available to them and will always try to use them.

2. Nope, and it's not particularly interesting to me. I'm not trying to build an RPG here, just add flavor for units. I think the little sound effects I added for spell casting does that pretty well.

3. You didn't ask, but units do get experience for casting spells and for surviving a spell attack. I had turned spell XP off in the video in order to show the damages better.

Hi FramedArchitect,
Just bought Civ5 yesterday in order to try out your mod (and Game of thrones one) and im pretty happy about my decision so far.
I've played for about 2 hours and not got very far (2-3 reboots).

I was wondering if there was any documentation? like wikia or something? I looked for some in vein.
I would like to understand better the traits of each civilizations (their specific hero, starting pos., unique building)

Oh! almost forgot.
I started a game with the race whose melee units heal after killing units.
But noticed there was no heal on my very first unit (the starting melee unit which is given to the player at start).
I stopped playing with this faction after that, I still have my save though.

Thanks FramedArchitect! :goodjob:

Before I start messing around with Steam I wondered if you would also update the Steam Workshop? If not, no problems.

Really Enjoying the new racial trait system as well as the other updates. I have, however run across a game breaking problem. When I invade my enemies territory and his militia spawns, it is so powerful that the 1 militia can destroy my entire army single handed. My 2 star soldiers do 1 damage and are instantly killed when attacked. When I looked at the militia in the help area it says its stats are reasonable, but unfortunately I cant get a read on the one that is actually spawned.

Top Bottom