Official System Requirements

I have all the requirements from www.canyourunit.com except the video card, and when i play the civ5 demo, it works and i can play but it is laggy and slow, can someone help plz i really want to play this!!!

Acer Aspire X3400

AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor/pass
2.90 GHz/pass
RAM 2.7 GB/pass
Video card: nvidea GeForce 9200/fail

thats the only one that failed and it cost me big time, can someone suggest a graphic card for me and one designed for this computer as i cant open the motherboard cause of my warranty. plz help!:confused:

The 9200 should be able to run Civ5 on minimum settings :confused:
You might want to try a driver update first.

For replacing the video card, you will have to eventually open the case anyway. As it has only a 220W PSU, only low powered cards will work. The X3400 is supposed to come with a ATI 5570 GDDR5 as the most powerful video card choice.
The case looks to be to slim to accomodate full-size cards, you will have to look for a low-profile card.

So something like this would be my recommendation.

Ok, but there are not requirements for laptop. I play also there and i have problem. Intel i7 cpu q720 1,6 GHz, 4 memory, Nividia GeForce GTX 260m on win 7 X64 is enough? or i do something wrong?? On the late game turns (huge territory) i can't load game and if it loads, after freeze. Any idea???

Thanks, but the problem is not only the save/load, when i play late geme turns (after 180) (huge territory, 12 civ, 24 city states), between turns i wait 3 - 4 min (i have the time to prepare coffee!!), and some times freeze. Is this bug problem too???? (thanks again)

That happens for a lot of people, unfortunately. Everyone gets the slow turn times, and some those freezes to boot. The .62(1) patch is supposed to have made things a bit better.
Probably nothing wrong with your system, though you might want to check the temperatures of your CPU and GPU, and make sure your drivers are up to date.
That trick made things a bit more fluid for me (also on a GTX260).

Thanks tokala, i'll try the trick. The patch didn't fixed this problem, let's hope the next patch. We may be put this problem to the bug reports of the game. But it'a a pitty to buy a laptop 5 months ago about 1000 euro and can't play (finish) 1 game, not only for me but for many of us also.

hi guys,
civ veteran, but computer illiterate.Have installed civ 5 against recommendations.Looks like fun ..computer not up to it.Time for a new computer anyway, so what do I need?..amd, i5, graphics cards?..dunno..any help appreciated..got about 1000 euros to spend.

If you are "computer illiterate", it is probably safe to assume that you want a pre assembled system, isn't it?
Civ5 at the moment does not make good use of more than 2 CPU cores, so a high clocked i3 would be the most cost effective choice for the processor. If you are planning to use the new system for several years, investing in a quad core might be worth it, though. A ~3GHz AMD Athlon/Phenom II X4 or the intel i5-760 are recommended then.

Suitable video card for a EUR 1000 PC would be a nVidia GTX460, and civ5 really likes those. For a normal sized monitor the 768MB version should do.

4GB RAM is a good idea for a new system, and more than sufficient for Civ5. Windows 7 64 bit recommended with that.

You might be able to squeeze a solid state disk as the system drive into the budget, highly recommended. Intels or Sandforce chip based ones are the ones to get.

Make sure to get a quality power supply, pre-assembled systems are usually lacking in that department. ~400 W will be sufficient, e.g. that one.

The 9200 should be able to run Civ5 on minimum settings :confused:
You might want to try a driver update first.

For replacing the video card, you will have to eventually open the case anyway. As it has only a 220W PSU, only low powered cards will work. The X3400 is supposed to come with a ATI 5570 GDDR5 as the most powerful video card choice.
The case looks to be to slim to accomodate full-size cards, you will have to look for a low-profile card.

So something like this would be my recommendation.

so if i change my PSU to a higher one, lets say 440w, will then i be able to get non-low profile cards, u know, the really good ones?

so if i change my PSU to a higher one, lets say 440w, will then i be able to get non-low profile cards, u know, the really good ones?
low profile means the card is short which isn't necessarily connected power draw

Your case has a special form factor, so neither standard PSUs nor full-sized video cards will fit into this, unless you buy a new computer :sad:

hi i am back.
they game runs very good on the grafichs card i bought:thumbsup:
i played it for 2 weeks maybe
and then i want to start civ 5 up again ( i bought it on steam,i start it up from steam)
and the intro movie comes and then:
i get a error that says civilization 5 has stopt working
windows will now close the program and will look for a solution ( which it wil never do)

what is wrong with civ 5 ?
i played it the first 2 weeks or so and now it won't even go past intro movie:dubious:
(it always crashes will in the intro movie,and i even tryed removing te intro movie but the crash still comes)

probably u should re-install it, it happens to a lot of games on pc, and try playing in direct 9x. hope it helps.

& ty everyone for tips on graphics card, updated my geforce 9200 and it works normally on low settings, gonna get a better one so i can play on medium:)

probably u should re-install it, it happens to a lot of games on pc, and try playing in direct 9x. hope it helps.

i play civ 5 on direct 9x , 10 won't even start up.
i reinstalled it and it worked fine
but i finnaly found the worldbuilder thing
but when world builder starts i just get a error:
Error launching game

then i clik view details:

Application: World Builder
User: Unkown (Not an in-house user.)
Time: Saturday 11/6/2010 5:05:13 PM

Runtime: 32 bit
Machine: ROBERTO-PC

Note:
Error launching game.

Exception: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
Source: System
Thread: Main Thread
Description: Access is denied
Stack Trace:
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
at Firaxis.Nexus.Game.Launch()

i think i don't have acces, but i also tryed with " run as adminstrator" and i still get the error.

i play civ 5 on direct 9x , 10 won't even start up.
i reinstalled it and it worked fine
but i finnaly found the worldbuilder thing
but when world builder starts i just get a error:
Error launching game

then i clik view details:

Application: World Builder
User: Unkown (Not an in-house user.)
Time: Saturday 11/6/2010 5:05:13 PM

Runtime: 32 bit
Machine: ROBERTO-PC

Note:
Error launching game.

Exception: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
Source: System
Thread: Main Thread
Description: Access is denied
Stack Trace:
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
at Firaxis.Nexus.Game.Launch()

i think i don't have acces, but i also tryed with " run as adminstrator" and i still get the error.

could be that vista just has a lot of bugs and errors. try upgrading to windows 7, its basically vista with most of the bugs gone.

That's not "a really good graphics card" ;)
It's essentially the same you already have.

If it HAS to be £40, that one is at least a noticably step above what you already have, but it's still not really cost effective.
The sensible solution would be that one, it will on average be almost twice as fast as the £40 card and supports DX11, which might make a big difference in Civ5.

Top Bottom