AND2 and SVN Bug Reports - A New Dawn 2 ONLY

@45*38'N,
Here's a Barb World Random CTD save game and logs.

Last 2 lines from PythonDbg file in the attached logs :
PY:City Acquired Event: Nakhon Sri Thammarat
PY:City Razed Event: Nakhon Sri Thammarat

JosEPh

Thank you JosEPh, I'll have a look tomorrow :)

so no map are made just for a new dawn? or work better with terrain placement and the like?

so no map are made just for a new dawn? or work better with terrain placement and the like?

AND has a whole list of maps? Not sure what you are needing or asking?

JosEPh :confused:

@45*38'N,

Another CTD at EoT involving P:Raze City Event.

Observation: if I load the autosave it plays the turn and then CTDs, but not every time. If I do a manual save before I hit the EoT button i can proceed almost every time.

Is there some strange connection between Barbs Razing AI New cities and EoT calculations?

JosEPh

45°38'N-13°47'E;12179114 said:
I don't think it's a bug. It could be that someone declared war on you and his vassals followed or he/she was able to convince other civs to declare war on you; maybe because you're the strongest civ, maybe because you're really weak. Looking at the other screenshot you've posted, it looks like there are many civs stronger than you. For example, if Native Americans declared war to you, also Koreans, Incas and Holy Romans do.

hmm, from what I remember no one declared war on me. Also why would that result in me throwing their ambassadors out? Further, I was able to speak to the all leaders the same turn this happened, and that wouldn't be possible if they declared war. I wish I had a savegame from when it happened.

AND has a whole list of maps? Not sure what you are needing or asking?

JosEPh :confused:

I know that, but I do remember when I played a long while ago (just coming back to civ4 after almost a 2year hiatus) that not all map work well with all the terrain feature and the like.

I was just wondering which one are the most stable and make good map.

tx

@45*38'N,

Another CTD at EoT involving P:Raze City Event.

Observation: if I load the autosave it plays the turn and then CTDs, but not every time. If I do a manual save before I hit the EoT button i can proceed almost every time.

Is there some strange connection between Barbs Razing AI New cities and EoT calculations?

JosEPh

I've made some tests and I start to think that's not really related to city razing. Actually, I've been able to load your previous savegame and play on without problems even when the city was being razed. So if I can play on even when the city is being razed, the problem might lie somewhere else.
In a test game I've made I've had a CTD related to a unit being killed (at least minidump was reporting a problem in a "kill" function of the dll). I've done a little more testing and I think I've solved it by partially merging the code from C2C; I'll upload the new revision as soon as I can (it looks like there are some problems with sourceforge right now).

religions don't seem to be active. Is there a way to turn this back on.

As I said in the other topic (but this one is the right one), have you downloaded the game via Tortoise SVN? If so, I need to check again Divine Prophets option...

45°38'N-13°47'E;12180318 said:
I've made some tests and I start to think that's not really related to city razing. Actually, I've been able to load your previous savegame and play on without problems even when the city was being razed. So if I can play on even when the city is being razed, the problem might lie somewhere else.
In a test game I've made I've had a CTD related to a unit being killed (at least minidump was reporting a problem in a "kill" function of the dll). I've done a little more testing and I think I've solved it by partially merging the code from C2C; I'll upload the new revision as soon as I can (it looks like there are some problems with sourceforge right now).

As I stated in the 2nd save the Random CTDs are not all repeatable. The 1st save I gave you actually was an EoT save (not an autosave) before it CTD on the previous try. But Every CTD When it occurs generates in the PythonDbg file the PY: City Acquired Event and PY: City Razed Event.

If you think you've found the problem then great!

It was perplexing to me and Dancing Huskold why C2C does Not have this problem with Barb World On but AND2.0 does. Since the DLL that was merged from C2C into AND did not have this problem. So was it an incomplete merge on Afforess part? Or something in AND's version of Barb World python that was not addressed as it should've been. :dunno:

religions don't seem to be active. Is there a way to turn this back on.

@dsidedkt,
Do you have a Religion Civic Active that allows you to Convert to a religion? Prophets and Divine Cult are the 1st 2 that Allow you to Convert and have a State Religion. If you are still on the 1st 2 Rel. Civics then you Can Not Convert to a State religion.

JosEPh

As I stated in the 2nd save the Random CTDs are not all repeatable. The 1st save I gave you actually was an EoT save (not an autosave) before it CTD on the previous try. But Every CTD When it occurs generates in the PythonDbg file the PY: City Acquired Event and PY: City Razed Event.

If you think you've found the problem then great!

It was perplexing to me and Dancing Huskold why C2C does Not have this problem with Barb World On but AND2.0 does. Since the DLL that was merged from C2C into AND did not have this problem. So was it an incomplete merge on Afforess part? Or something in AND's version of Barb World python that was not addressed as it should've been. :dunno:

I've read your logs and I've seen that python error; what I'm saying it's that maybe that wasn't the reason for CTD. Or maybe it wasn't the only one. I've reloaded your first save many times, sometimes the game was CTD, sometimes it wasn't: and it wasn't related to the city being razed. Sometimes it was razed and I could continue playing, sometimes it wasn't razed but the game was CTD anyway. Then I've tried a few times with the latest dll (rev610) that I've enhanced by correcting that "kill" feature that was causing CTD in one of my test games, and I haven't had the CTD anymore. Hopefully, the bug has been solved. As for the comparison with C2C, IIRC Afforess did only a partial merge with C2C dll before leaving. Then something more was merged by jtanner28 last summer, mainly something about routing of units if I'm not mistaken. But there are a lot of things now that are different between C2C and AND's dll, more than I expected. And if I'm not mistaken, part of the python code was moved to dll in C2C. As I said I'm merging more code from C2C as things pops up or when I find something interesting to enhance AND, but it will still take a while. When you (and other players as well) will update to rev610, I'm curious to know if CTD happens again and if it's always reported in the python log that there's an error when a city is razed. :)

Will update asap. Thanks.

JosEPh

Right click and selct Show Log.

Also,when you right click on the AND SVN folder and select Update, after it updates it tells you the current version.

When you copy it to your "working" folder Name the "working" folder SVN 610 etc.. Then Copy the contents of the "working" folder to your Mod folder.

Maybe read some of the SVN help section, hmmm...? ;)

JosEPh.

Problem with Unlimited Power Event

There's an event in AND2 which provides unlimited power to all your cities on the continent. It says a source of geothermal energy has been found beneath a city of yours and offers you to spend gold (if you have enough money) to provide power to all of your cities. Problem is that it happened to me a couple of times that power was provided but money wasn't subtracted from my treasure. IIRC this event was working correctly. Last time it didn't work was in a multiplayer game. So, what I want to know is if it happened to someone else. Could you please report here if you've seen this problem happening? Thank you.

Right click and selct Show Log.

Also,when you right click on the AND SVN folder and select Update, after it updates it tells you the current version.

When you copy it to your "working" folder Name the "working" folder SVN 610 etc.. Then Copy the contents of the "working" folder to your Mod folder.

Maybe read some of the SVN help section, hmmm...? ;)

JosEPh.

Awesome I found it, thank you :)

hmm, from what I remember no one declared war on me. Also why would that result in me throwing their ambassadors out? Further, I was able to speak to the all leaders the same turn this happened, and that wouldn't be possible if they declared war. I wish I had a savegame from when it happened.

I think ambassadors are two-way - if they cancel theirs, yours is automatically cancelled as well. Like Open Borders.

1. Did you change religion or make any unpopular civic changes?

2. Are the other civs master and vassals, or in an alliance?

3. Could there have been a AP or UN resolution?

Otherwise, if these are civs you no longer have any trade deals with, I can only think one of them started preparing for war with you, and convinced others to embargo you.

Having taken note of some AI discussions that have been ongoing in this thread recently, I figured I would dump my 2 cents of my impression of the "better" AI vs the AI of Vanilla BTS. This problem predates AND and goes way back ever since I started playing ROM so I am not sure its easily fixable.

The problem with betterAI resides in the battle decision making when an AI is at war. The underlying issue is that, unlike vanillaAI, betterAI is more focused on winning battles, often at great loss, rather than capturing cities. The problem with this, is that BetterAI, with its huge stacks, often times can be baited into attacking units with super high strength values in terrains with defense bonuses.

Example: If betterAI has 20 mailed knights (strength 14 each) in a stack, and happens to pass by 3 fortifiedriflemen (strength 26 with 25% vs mounted units) on a hill with hill defense promotions (25% defense bonus for hills an additional 25% defense for each promotion), betterAI will happily sacrifice most of its 20 knights just to take down those petty 3 riflemen.

VanillaAI would never do this. Instead it would ignore the few super well defended units by walking past them. This is because it realized that it should focus on acquiring the closest city and that making a decision to attack the well defended units, although would result in a victory for that particular battle, would ultimately be too costly in the general war front due to the unit loss.

I have countless saves to back this up. In these saves the AI goes into a suicide run onto my well defended units on the very next turn. If need be I can upload them.

If this issue can be remedied, it would give the human player a lot more to fear from the AI on the war front :)

TLDR; BetterAI should focus on capturing cities rather than being baited into petty battles.

Arkatakor: you're right, I've seen it myself. But I'm currently having a look at C2C dll and it looks like the code goes in the direction your suggesting. I'm planning to merge more code from C2C but it will take a while as the differences between AND2 and C2C are more extensive than I thought. But I definetly agree with you, although I admit that until now I never had a game which was completely spoiled by this flaw. :)

I think ambassadors are two-way - if they cancel theirs, yours is automatically cancelled as well. Like Open Borders.

Might be, I think you could be right. It's just that I think that it is wrong. I mean if THEY cancel the embassy why am i the one getting the diplo penalty? I should only incur diplo penalty if I was the one initiation the action, IMO.

1. Did you change religion or make any unpopular civic changes?

No I didnt as far as I know. But why should that result in ambassadors automatically getting thrown out and me getting a diplomatic penalty for that?

2. Are the other civs master and vassals, or in an alliance?

There was some master civs each having some vassals. However, some of those vassals I didn't loose embassies with, even if all the masters did.

3. Could there have been a AP or UN resolution?

There was no mention of this as I recall, it was before the UN was build, and the AP was build build and owned by a Naghualism civ, while the civs with "thrown out" ambassadors where with different religions, Khemetism(as was/am I), Zoroastrianism, Naghualism

Otherwise, if these are civs you no longer have any trade deals with, I can only think one of them started preparing for war with you, and convinced others to embargo you.

I tried contacting all civs when it happened. Everyone wanted to talk to me an no-one said anything about an embargo and it was possible to make some deals with everyone. (However the civs with the ambassadors "Thrown out" was not willing to make embassies, which makes sense as far as in the context that they had just had them thrown out).l

Top Bottom