Revolution and higher difficulty levels

I almost never play beyond monarch level, so I need some feedback from players using monarch and above and playing with Revolution ON. How is it? I mean, do revolutions ever happen? From my test games, I see revolutions very very seldom (colonies or distant cities revolting, or revolts caused by religion). I'm revamping a bit revolution values but I don't want to make it impossible for harder levels. So, has anyone some feedback about it? Thank you.

In my latest game, playing on emperor/huge Fractal/Snail, 14 civs. After the first 400 turns, 3 civs have already suffered revolutions and have given control of some of their cities to a new civ.
Ill send you a save If you need it when i arrive home.

Im not having problems, and i have more cities than any other civ. Not sure If being already culturally very strong (which is another fact that i should further point) is avoiding revolts. But i suspect i should be having problems at least in one far barbarian-captured City, and im not. From what i see, several AI civ are in trouble when they shouldnt (at least not yet) while i dont even bother about revolts.

I typically play on emperor, large or huge, on marathon, with new world type map. I've had a few overseas cities in some games get to "warning" level and been forced to take measures to prevent further deterioration, but they've never actually rebelled.

I have had distant captured enemy cities spawn rebels but never lost a city to them.

I've seen a handful of AIs suffer revolutions, most were in cities far from their capital or when they were losing / had lost a war badly.

At the current level revolutions are enough to factor into my strategy but don't play a major role in my games.

I play on the Immortal setting, I think its more a style of game play.

Humans will use the culture slider, garrison troops, and fight a war, where they constantly take cities, and hardly lose any, if any at all.

I've had newly distant, cities on the edges of my empire, revolt out of the blue, maybe due to AI espoinage, but some times when on own continent, all alone, they will revolt.

I try to place capital central, with Summer palace and Versillies equally place on continent, with some of the other sudo admin wonders as well.

Theatres are a stock standard build, as is a 10 % culture rate running.

I've had cities, who've "had enough of you" and "Just want to be rid of you" won't take bribes, but you defeat the rebels, and its back in the green. But does rise again, until the underling unrest is dealt with.

Hard to code to match ALL playing styles.

I only play on prince, but I tend to up the revolution modifiers in order to make revolutions more active in the game, for the AI somewhat and a lot for human player. I also find that lowering the colony modifier while increasing the distance modifier makes it a little easier for the AI to hold on to cities while adding a bit of challenge to games where I end up with a very large empire.

On a related note, I find the biggest obstacle to revolutions is that on larger maps (I usually play giant) every civ will end up on the map. Thereafter, revolts are usually barbarian. These seem to be easier to put down. I'm not sure if that can be fixed or if doing so would help with the balance at all.

I try to place capital central, with Summer palace and Versillies equally place on continent, with some of the other sudo admin wonders as well.

Are you sure that these two wonders make cities act as capital centers?The description says that they just reduce maintenance in nearby cities so IMHO i realize that they don't make the city work as capital in order to reduce the instability penalty due to distance from capital.

nionios, those wonders do act to reduce distance instability. I've seen huge effects, especially in colonies or distant conquered cities. I think anything that says "reduce maintenance in nearby cities" essentially acts as a centre of government in all respects. I don't think that's explicitly stated in any of the descriptions though.

Top Bottom