BoG 3 - Deity Minus

bewareofgnomes

Back Again
I am starting my third succession game, and this time it will be on deity minus and the civ will be the ottomans. Will be played on continents and 60% water. everything else in the middle. will try to play on PTW 1.21, but if need be, we can play on civ 3.

Current Roster

Bewareofgnomes
Tonsoffun
TriviAl
Snaproll
6thGenTexan

I would be interested in joining also, but, like TriviAI, I don't understand what "Deity Minus" means.

lurker's comment:

Snaproll and TrivAl, IIRC, "deity-minus" is deity with the human getting an extra settler.

Or it could be taking the extra settler away from the AI. I played one game that way.

bewareofgnomes should define what he sees as deity minus.

im sorry, minus means take away settler from ai, not the human player getting an extra one, like in GOTM 20. i will add you two to the roster.

Sounds good!

I'm happy at Emporer and am trying to make the deity jump at the moment, so this sounds an ideal game... Quite certain you don't want to ramp it up to an 'explorer' game?

Can play at the weekends, but don't have net access, which can be awkward...

Ptw 1.21 is fine with me. Ottomans will be fun - those Sipahi are just plain nasty :)

what exactly is an "explorer" game?

btw, im making the scenaio now and will play 20 turns to kick it off.

BoG--

What TrivAl means by "explorer" is that you play deity as-is; i.e., exploring deity ala RBP10.

And one question--you got an extra settler for GOTM 20? Was that in Open or Conquest class?

conquest. i dont think i could have one playing on open, but i might have. i have already made the save taking away the settler, and our start is AMAZING 2 cattle, 1 wheat, about 6-8 BG, and lots o hills. i swear i tokk the first one too. possibly the best non edited start ive seen. as soon as i find a good picture editor to download so i can crop the image, ill show u.

Read the term in the 'Spanish Explorers' thread. They just took on Deity as is. It was only a tongue in cheek suggestion... should have added a :) after it... Think this variant sounds like a better way to get into it. Curious to see how much of a difference that extra settler makes to the AI, compared to the boosted tech/shields/growth/etc.

Sounds like an amazing start. Will have a peek tomorrow.

i couldnt crop it, so its kinda big... o well. just to give u an idea

edit - too big. didnt attach. heres the save can someone post a screeny?

i am currently playin, and i need to ask a question. if we settle on our starting spot, we will have 2 cattle, 1 wheat, 5 bonus grassland, 7 hills, 4 grassland, and 10 river tiles. if we move one square SW, we can have 2 cattle, 9 bonus grassland, 7 hills, 1 forest, 2 grasslamd, and 9 river squares. im leaning towards moving, but im not sure. i need some serious input.

edit - after looking at the save again, i see that either location could easily be a 4 turn settler factroy. therefore im really leaning towards movin one square. im still gonna wait, but the only difference i see is that we could have +8 food or +6. both would require a granary. but think of a city working 9 bonus grassland, 2 cattle, and 1 hill or forest. in despotism that would be pumping 24 shields without corruption :eek: then, after we leave despot, with all of those hills and river tiles for republic... it will be a monster. there might even be a chance for IW with 7 hills. i didnt edit it, but u never know.

bewareofgnomes,

It would really help if you could put a screen up. I can't do it now because I'm at work. Make sure you use these procedures.

Also, if the file is too big, open it up with Paint and save it as a JPG. This always makes the files much smaller. You could also crop the sides and just show the starting position.

after failing at uploading, i wll try to attach again. if this doesnt work, could a lurker take the save and post a screenshot?

Attachments

• bog_3_pic.jpeg
    bog_3_pic.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 322
Boy did you get a good start! I would found right there and go for a 20K victory. With three food bonuses and all those hills and BG you'd be a killer production machine! Not to mention you've got cheap librarys and universities as the Ottomans. If the rest of your starting area is like this, this won't feel like diety!

actually, i decided to move one square to get 3 extra bonus grassland and use the wheat for a worker factory. a 20k on deity?

Yeah, with that start it doesn't matter too much what we do - I think that's just about the single best start I've ever seen!

I don't know about going for an OCC however - I wanted to use this game to learn how to play Deity, and I don't think a OCC does that.

Hey Control Freak, if you don't mind me asking, what part of Western Ohio do you live? i live in Dayton.

I never said to limit yourself to one city. Just build as much culture as you can in the capital. You can still expand like everything else, but given a choice, build culture buildings ASAP. Actually the other cities will be used to make an army that can:
1) Get leaders for quick wonders in your capital.
2) Defend your precious city.
3) Prevent AI from launching the spaceship.

(I've never done one, but in theory, it looks like a good spot.:lol: )

I'm about 1.5 hours north on I-75 in a small town north of Lima.

Top Bottom