End of Dark Ages!!!

Formulapower

Warlord
Introducing...................

:viking::viking::viking::viking:END OF DARK AGES:viking::viking::viking::viking:

!!!!!!!!!!NOW ON STEAM WORKSHOP!!!!!!!!!!
In the year of our Lord 1100, from the ashes of the Dark Ages, many small but able kingdoms begin to show long awaited signs of civilization and growth.. Economies and populations have once again started to expand and nations are ready to end the Dark Ages and expand into this Medieval world. Each Nation has only a few stable cities to rest their hopes of expansion. Outside of their borders are many strong, independent, city-states that will fight to defend their sovereignty. It is up to you to lead your nation from these small beginnings to the glory of an Empire!

-------------------MOD INFO--------------------

Custom Europe Map with 19 Playable Civs and 38 Petty Kingdoms (city-states)

---PLAYABLE CIVS---

(CHRISTIAN)
1. Kingdom of England
2. Kingdom of France
3. Kingdom of Castile
4. Crusader States
5. Holy Roman Empire
6. Kingdom of Denmark
7. Kingdom of Norway
8. Kingdom of Sweden
9. Kingdom of Sicily
10. Kingdom of Hungary
11. Kingdom of Poland
12. Kingdom of Scotland

(ISLAM)
13. Fatmid Caliphate
14. Sultanate of Rum
15. Almoravid Caliphate

(ORTHODOX)
16. Byzantine Empire
17. Principality of Novgorod
18. Principality of Kievan Rus

(PAGANISM)
19. Kingdom of Lithuania

---PETTY KINGDOMS---
Wales
Portugal
Leinster (Eastern Ireland)
Munster (Western Ireland)
Orkney
Brittany
Aquitaine
Toulouse
Flanders
Valencia
Aragon
Banu Tribes
Hammadids
Damascus
Danishmends
Southern Italy
Pisa Republic
Papal States
Lombardy
Lorraine
Franconia
Bavaria
Austria
Saxony
Venice Republic
Genoa Republic
Prussia
Northern Barbarian Tribes
Livonia
Greece
Croatia
Albania
Bulgaria
Cuman
Polotsk
Crimea
Finish Tribes
Baltic Tribes

*Civs have custom Traits/Leaders
Leaders Names are Generic (Ex. Leader of England is "King of England")
*Civs have custom Dawn of Man Image, Music, and Description
*Civs have custom Diplomacy Screens
*Civs start with correct Religion
*Timeline 1100-1493 (over 700 turns---6months/turn)
*Research has been slowed so that game stays in the Medieval period...Techs stop at Rifling because it is Unreachable
*All Unique Units and Buildings have been removed...Custom UU and UB will be added in later versions
*Diplomatic Marriage has been given to ALL Civs (Except HRE because historically Germany was not united during this time) this was they can acquire Petty Kingdoms peacefully
*All civs also have a 25% chance of Rebel Strongholds (Barbarian Encampments) joining their side after defeat...this is to reflect the changing loyalties of the people of this time
*Settlers have been disabled

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD
-Custom Victory Conditions
-Create Unique Units and Unique Buildings for all Civs
-Create Custom Social Policies
-Create Custom Medieval Tech Tree
-Bring back wonders that are specific to the medieval time period
-Create famous medieval mercenary units (Swiss Pikeman, Genonesse Crossbowmen..etc)
-Create "Leader Dies" and New Leader Crowned" Events that will come with positive and negative for the civ.
-Create Historic Events for the time period and make them happen at the correct date.
-Create New Civs Portugal & Papal States
-Create Mongul Invasion event
-Create Custom Medieval Buildings

I will give this a try. It seems a good mod.

I will probably play as the Byzantines and kick some Turkish ass.

City States are no longer just a single cities but consist of 2 or 3 cities and act more like the small fiefdoms they are. These "City-States" can be a worthy foe (or ally). City State alliances can be very valuable not only for the military value but also for the added resources and all civs are going to compete over these allies very agressively and it would be wise to do the same.

I find this very interesting, maybe you could explain what you changed to allow cs to found new cities, or have you reworked the minor civs. Doesnt tried your mod iam to busy at the moment.

Hi there! Tried it, b/c it sounded really interesting.

3 things though: I started in the stoneage 4000BC and am only progressing 1 year/round. That means, I'm now 75 rounds in and now in 3925BC.
2nd: I cannot build settlers. Only expansion via conquest.
3rd: Other civilizations are in the game as well. Eg Polynesia.

All that supposed to happen?

No other mods activated.

Hi there! Tried it, b/c it sounded really interesting.

3 things though: I started in the stoneage 4000BC and am only progressing 1 year/round. That means, I'm now 75 rounds in and now in 3925BC.
2nd: I cannot build settlers. Only expansion via conquest.
3rd: Other civilizations are in the game as well. Eg Polynesia.

All that supposed to happen?

No other mods activated.

Question 2
As of right now settlers have been disabled (by design) but after playing the mod myself...I am finding myself wishing I could create settlers as well...they will probably be added back in the next release or 2.

Questions 1 & 3
Hmmmm....are you sure you loading it correctly??

When you activate the mod you need to select the "End of Dark Ages" Map and then "Load Scenario" Then you should only get to choose between the Civ listed.

Did you do this?

I find this very interesting, maybe you could explain what you changed to allow cs to found new cities, or have you reworked the minor civs. Doesnt tried your mod iam to busy at the moment.

CS cannot found their own cities...I just gave them 2 or 3 when building the map....they will not expand further unless through conquest. I am working on the CS AI to make them much more agressive as well...since they represent some significant people/regions I want them to be a strong force to deal with.

is there anyway for you to post the files here on the forum instead of the ModBrowser? This mod looks really cool and interesting, and my Browser doesn't work.

is there anyway for you to post the files here on the forum instead of the ModBrowser? This mod looks really cool and interesting, and my Browser doesn't work.

Why does the Mod Browers not work? I have seen several ppl say this but I have never had problems using it.

I will see what I can do...I have never loaded a mod on here so I will have to research and see how.

Why does the Mod Browers not work? I have seen several ppl say this but I have never had problems using it.

I have a Mac, you can't use it on a Mac.

I will see what I can do...I have never loaded a mod on here so I will have to research and see how.

Awesome! Thanks! Many more people will be able to enjoy this mod.... and compress your mod into a .zip file or post it as a .civ5mod file here on the forums in your first post. In the post editor, you can link downloads. It accepts .zip files and .civ5mod files for posting.

I have a Mac, you can't use it on a Mac.

Awesome! Thanks! Many more people will be able to enjoy this mod.... and compress your mod into a .zip file or post it as a .civ5mod file here on the forums in your first post. In the post editor, you can link downloads. It accepts .zip files and .civ5mod files for posting.

Okay...I will try to upload in a little bit.

I tried to upload but got something about a missing "token" and not being allowed to do so...I sent a message to the admin so hopefully I can get something up soon

A few things I noticed when I started to play as Poland:

• Poland has a shortage of Horses at the beginning of the game, due to their source of Horses being unimproved.
  • Poland's capital should be Krakow, not Warsaw.
  • There is a city named "Kaliningran". I think you meant "Kaliningrad", but the name was changed to it after WW2 (it comes from a Soviet politician Kalinin). Actually it was founded after 1100 AD, but I think you can keep it in the game, named Königsberg.

A few things I noticed when I started to play as Poland:

• Poland has a shortage of Horses at the beginning of the game, due to their source of Horses being unimproved.
  • Poland's capital should be Krakow, not Warsaw.
  • There is a city named "Kaliningran". I think you meant "Kaliningrad", but the name was changed to it after WW2 (it comes from a Soviet politician Kalinin). Actually it was founded after 1100 AD, but I think you can keep it in the game, named Königsberg.

Thank you so much for this information...I will make the needed changes in my next release.

I encourage anyone who see historic mistakes like this to let me know because I want this to be as historically correct as possible while keeping gameplay intact.

FYI...I am uploading version 2 tonight and will give an update of the changes made soon

Mod has been refined and is now on the Steam Workshop...please give it some play and give some feedback of any game play issues, bugs or suggestions.

Some feedback from me again:
  1. In your Handicaps XML file I noticed that you change some things for the Prince difficulty, but not for higher difficulties. Why is it so?
  2. There is some confusion about religion in the game - in my game England founded a Pantheon, so the Christianity in their capital got wiped out by the Pantheon (but it soon reappeared due to spread from other cities). England was the only civ to found a Pantheon, because Lithuania enhanced Paganism very early in the game.
  3. I think you should rename Christianity to Catholicism, because Orthodox is Christian too.
  4. Many civs get Archers as their starting units, and they can be immediately upgraded to Composite Bowmen. So I think they should be Composite Bowmen from the start.
  5. I haven't played to the end, but I feel that the technological advancement is too fast, especially later in the game when espionage and Research Agreements become available.
  6. Civilopedia says that Spearman replaces Horseman, that's really strange...
  7. The notification icons about founding religions appear again after loading a saved game.
  8. I keep getting quests from Petty Kingdoms to build wonders, but I can't build them.
  9. There is something wrong with the tech tree (see screenshot). Scientific Theory requires Military Science, but they are in the same column of the tech tree.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 258
How does one launch this mod?

I've downloaded and activated in the mod browser, but I can find no reference to End of Dark Ages anywhere in the setup screen.

Thanks Pawel. This part of the Civ5 UI is badly designed.

Some feedback from me again:
  1. In your Handicaps XML file I noticed that you change some things for the Prince difficulty, but not for higher difficulties. Why is it so?
  2. There is some confusion about religion in the game - in my game England founded a Pantheon, so the Christianity in their capital got wiped out by the Pantheon (but it soon reappeared due to spread from other cities). England was the only civ to found a Pantheon, because Lithuania enhanced Paganism very early in the game.
  3. I think you should rename Christianity to Catholicism, because Orthodox is Christian too.
  4. Many civs get Archers as their starting units, and they can be immediately upgraded to Composite Bowmen. So I think they should be Composite Bowmen from the start.
  5. I haven't played to the end, but I feel that the technological advancement is too fast, especially later in the game when espionage and Research Agreements become available.
  6. Civilopedia says that Spearman replaces Horseman, that's really strange...
  7. The notification icons about founding religions appear again after loading a saved game.
  8. I keep getting quests from Petty Kingdoms to build wonders, but I can't build them.
  9. There is something wrong with the tech tree (see screenshot). Scientific Theory requires Military Science, but they are in the same column of the tech tree.

Thanks for the feedback

1. I made changes to the Prince Handicap to try and make it more balanced...I assumed that most would play at this level and I made some small changes to make it as even as possible for player and AI

2. I am aware of the issue with England...I they have too much Faith in the begining because of Stonehenge...I will probably just remove the Wonder and that should fix this issue (I am going to be doing an overhaul of some wonders for this time period..that is why they have all been removed as of now)

3. I completely agree....Christianity will be changed

4. I am thought about changing this...but I think I am going to leave it the way it is for now....I like the fact that the player has to decide to upgrade their units or maybe use the initial gold to do something else (ally with Petty Kingdoms...buy buildings...buy more troops..etc)

5. I have not completed a full game myself yet...but I do think you might be right...once some players get into the late part of the game maybe we will know for sure.

6. I have only done VERY limited things to the Civilopedia and I don't remember changing any of that...I will look into this but there will probably be a lot of Civilopedia issue for the next few releases..I want to get the other gameplay elements in first before taking time to clean up the CP.

7. Yep I noticed this too...but I'm not sure how to fix...it doesn't apprear to mess anything up it just reloads the notification.

8. Yes I know...also the PK that are Militaristic will gift UU that will never be discovered..I am going to look into these...I think If I delete the UU and Wonders that won't be used this will fix it.

9. The tech tree doesn't look right...it is my hope these techs will never come into play because they are not medieval techs. In the future some type of repeating "Future Tech" will be there.

Thanks for all this input I hope to get as much of it addressed in the next release as I can.

Thanks Pawel. This part of the Civ5 UI is badly designed.

Sorry about that...I meant to change that before release to something like "End of Dark Ages Map"...It is "1" because that makes it first on the map list and that made it easier when testing because I didn't have to go down the map list each time I started a game.

Top Bottom