Tomatekh's Historical Religion Mods

First of all, thank you for making this mod. Don't know what I'd do without it. However, as a fan of Dido (points at username), I have a small quibble with you making Canaanism her preference. Because this is my first post in the forum, I'll refrain from posting a link, but if you visit the Wikipedia page for "Dido (Queen of Carthage)" it reveals that she married a Priest of Hercules (Hellenism), and given all the events surrounding her death it is clear that was Dido's religion for all of her life.

With that said, can you please change her preference to Hellenism for the sake of accuracy? Thank you. :)

First of all, thank you for making this mod. Don't know what I'd do without it. However, as a fan of Dido (points at username), I have a small quibble with you making Canaanism her preference. Because this is my first post in the forum, I'll refrain from posting a link, but if you visit the Wikipedia page for "Dido (Queen of Carthage)" it reveals that she married a Priest of Hercules (Hellenism), and given all the events surrounding her death it is clear that was Dido's religion for all of her life.

With that said, can you please change her preference to Hellenism for the sake of accuracy? Thank you. :)

My intent wasn't necessarily to make Dido prefer Canaanism, but have Carthage prefer Canaanism. I know I wasn't 100% consistent in this; sometimes I chose the preference based on the leader and sometimes on the civ itself. Another example is Bluetooth. Bluetooth converted to Christianity, but as the civ itself is primarily Civ V's Viking civ, and for the sake of diversity, I still set Denmark to prefer Norse religion. There were significant differences between Punic and Greek religion, justifying the inclusion of both, and if I added Punic religion to the game it didn't make sense to have Carthage not prefer it. So that's why Dido/Carthage has the preference for Canaanism in the mod.

However, it's relatively easy for you to edit Dido's preference in the mod. Go into the mod folder (Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Mods). Open the file "Historical Religions Mod" in the XML folder with notepad or a similar program. Search for "CIVILIZATION_CARTHAGE" (it will be the second hit, after the delete entry). On the next line replace "RELIGION_CANAANISM" with "RELIGION_HELLENISM".

This mode is great. Thanks.

One question, though: I've been trying to find away to increase the number of religions in game. Is there anyway to do that? I've made a huge map with the max number of civs and I'd like there to be 10 or 12 religions in game.

This mode is great. Thanks.

One question, though: I've been trying to find away to increase the number of religions in game. Is there anyway to do that? I've made a huge map with the max number of civs and I'd like there to be 10 or 12 religions in game.

Number of religions is set by map size and controlled in the map size XML file (Gameplay/XML/Gameinfo/CIV5Worlds.xml) with the <MaxActiveReligions>x</MaxActiveReligions> line.

You can edit it to however many you want; however, I believe (or at least at some point it was the case) that in some situations there are not enough beliefs in the game in every category if you set the max number above 7 (it was certain combinations where Byzantium chose its extra belief from a certain category). So if you do raise it above 7 you should also use a mod that adds additional beliefs to the game.

Number of religions is set by map size and controlled in the map size XML file (Gameplay/XML/Gameinfo/CIV5Worlds.xml) with the <MaxActiveReligions>x</MaxActiveReligions> line.

You can edit it to however many you want; however, I believe (or at least at some point it was the case) that in some situations there are not enough beliefs in the game in every category if you set the max number above 7 (it was certain combinations where Byzantium chose its extra belief from a certain category). So if you do raise it above 7 you should also use a mod that adds additional beliefs to the game.

Thanks so much for the very quick reply. Can you help me out a bit more? I went in and changed the xml files. I didn't see a <MaxActiveReligions>x</MaxActiveReligions> line. I added one with 12 in the place of the X at the end of the section for huge maps. I didn't get any change. Do I need to make a proper mod to change this? Is there is something else I am missing? Thanks for your time and consideration.

Thanks so much for the very quick reply. Can you help me out a bit more? I went in and changed the xml files. I didn't see a <MaxActiveReligions>x</MaxActiveReligions> line. I added one with 12 in the place of the X at the end of the section for huge maps. I didn't get any change. Do I need to make a proper mod to change this? Is there is something else I am missing? Thanks for your time and consideration.

Are you sure you edited the correct file. The huge maps entry has the max active religions line:

Code:
		<Row>
			<Type>WORLDSIZE_HUGE</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_WORLD_HUGE</Description>
			<Help>TXT_KEY_WORLD_HUGE_HELP</Help>
			<DefaultPlayers>12</DefaultPlayers>
			<DefaultMinorCivs>24</DefaultMinorCivs>
			<GridWidth>128</GridWidth>
			<GridHeight>80</GridHeight>
			[B]<MaxActiveReligions>7</MaxActiveReligions>[/B]
			<FogTilesPerBarbarianCamp>35</FogTilesPerBarbarianCamp>
			<NumNaturalWonders>7</NumNaturalWonders>
			<UnitNameModifier>0</UnitNameModifier>
			<TargetNumCities>6</TargetNumCities>
			<NumFreeBuildingResources>7</NumFreeBuildingResources>
			<BuildingClassPrereqModifier>100</BuildingClassPrereqModifier>
			<MaxConscriptModifier>75</MaxConscriptModifier>
			<TerrainGrainChange>1</TerrainGrainChange>
			<FeatureGrainChange>1</FeatureGrainChange>
			<ResearchPercent>130</ResearchPercent>
			<NumCitiesUnhappinessPercent>60</NumCitiesUnhappinessPercent>
			<NumCitiesPolicyCostMod>5</NumCitiesPolicyCostMod>
			<NumCitiesTechCostMod>2.5</NumCitiesTechCostMod>
			<AdvancedStartPointsMod>120</AdvancedStartPointsMod>
			<EstimatedNumCities>132</EstimatedNumCities>
			<IconAtlas>WORLDSIZE_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
			<PortraitIndex>5</PortraitIndex>
		</Row>

It depends. You can technically just alter the core game file and it will work, however any time the game patches itself it will be overwritten. Otherwise you should make a mod in which you update that specific entry with something like this:

Code:
<GameData>
	<Worlds>
		<Update>
			<Where Type="WORLDSIZE_HUGE"/>
			<Set>
				<MaxActiveReligions>X</MaxActiveReligions>
			</Set>
		</Update>
	</Worlds>
</GameData>

If you do choose the edit the core file, make sure to always keep a back up of the original file. (You can also always just verify the integrity of the steam install to restore the files to the default).

Thanks again for the quick reply. When open up the CIV5Worlds.xml file. I see the following when I look for the huge map. It's different than what you pasted in!

<Type>WORLDSIZE_HUGE</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_WORLD_HUGE</Description>
<Help>TXT_KEY_WORLD_HUGE_HELP</Help>
<DefaultPlayers>12</DefaultPlayers>
<DefaultMinorCivs>24</DefaultMinorCivs>
<GridWidth>128</GridWidth>
<GridHeight>80</GridHeight>
<FogTilesPerBarbarianCamp>35</FogTilesPerBarbarianCamp>
<NumNaturalWonders>7</NumNaturalWonders>
<UnitNameModifier>0</UnitNameModifier>
<TargetNumCities>8</TargetNumCities>
<NumFreeBuildingResources>7</NumFreeBuildingResources>
<BuildingClassPrereqModifier>100</BuildingClassPrereqModifier>
<MaxConscriptModifier>75</MaxConscriptModifier>
<TerrainGrainChange>1</TerrainGrainChange>
<FeatureGrainChange>1</FeatureGrainChange>
<ResearchPercent>130</ResearchPercent>
<NumCitiesUnhappinessPercent>60</NumCitiesUnhappinessPercent>
<NumCitiesPolicyCostMod>7.5</NumCitiesPolicyCostMod>
<AdvancedStartPointsMod>120</AdvancedStartPointsMod>
<IconAtlas>WORLDSIZE_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
<PortraitIndex>5</PortraitIndex>

</Row>

Remember to open the G&K or BNW xml file...

Assets/DLC/Expansion/Gameplay/XML/Gameinfo/CIV5Worlds.xml

or

Assets/DLC/Expansion2/Gameplay/XML/Gameinfo/CIV5Worlds.xml

Thanks for this. I ALWAYS used to change the names of the religions when played with Inca, Maya, Celts, Shoshone... for exactly the names you now put them in the MOD xD But the icon was from another religion. :(

Now it's different. Thanks for this

Which of these religions are used in Leugi's Patria Grande? I know Pachaism is, but apart from that?

Which of these religions are used in Leugi's Patria Grande? I know Pachaism is, but apart from that?

At the moment I believe it would only be:

Pachaism (Inca/Andes)
Witran Mapu (Mapuche)

I assume he will also use:

Pajelanca (Tupi) once he releases that civ

And next update for the mod I'm going to add:

Chiminigagua (Muisca)

Which reminds me... what will be the XML name for Chiminagua?

Which reminds me... what will be the XML name for Chiminagua?

RELIGION_CHIMINAGUA

If you want, I can also include the religion preferences for your civs in the religion mod itself (setting the religion mod to load after your civs). That way you can include a preference for an official religion in your mod, but if anyone also uses my mod it will prefer the custom religion.

For the Muisca speciffically that could come in handy; so I don't have to reupload it; if you can, please do :D

However, for the rest there's no need I think. I'd rather have them follow random religions without the mod, than setting, say Christianity to all of them (like Firaxis does).

Top Bottom