Need help with audio issue on an ASUS notebook

NewWaver

Special Agent
Hello! :) I come in need of assistance with a laptop/notebook issue.

For years now, I've had this little contraption - an ASUS Eee PC 900 (details here: http://www.asus.com/Eee_Family/Eee_PC_900A ). After a while, for whatever reason that I can't remember (some kind of problem, I believe), I decided to format the system and reinstall Windows XP (it was that long ago). Since then I haven't been able to get any audio from it, and I don't know why. :confused:

When I go into Device Manager, the audio devices seem to be there and don't have that yellow question mark that sometimes sets up residence (although, I should add that the question mark...in question...has appeared quite a few times in the Other Devices section). I can understand if it was a driver issue, but since I know very little about laptops compared to PC's and Macs, I wouldn't really know.

Any tips and tricks on what I should do next? Thanks in advance! :goodjob:

P.S. I'm not overly excited about the machine, personally. It's my wife's... :mischief:

Why the heck are you still using XP?

I once had this issue albeit on an ancient desktop, i.e. no sound but seemingly all is well in device manager. First, try searching for most recent drivers, if those exist for XP still. If that does not work, I forget if I uninstalled/reinstalled the audio device or disabled/reenabled, but it worked after doing that. Maybe try that in reverse order.

Also make sure the correct audio output is selected. Sometimes the PC will get stuck on, say, outputting to headphones or some other disconnected audio output rather than, say, the hdmi out or something. I'm not sure what audio out you have on that thing though.

Top Bottom