News: TSG111 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 111
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the 111th game in the GOTM V Training Series! This Series will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features from Civ5's expansions and DLCs in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread.

Must Read!
We would like to ask you to abide by our most sacred rule: Don’t replay any turns! If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to 1 turn. In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous save and play it as closely to how you played it the first time. Please let Leif or me know (either in the forums or through Private Message) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.

Civ V BNW - TSG111 Details:
Player (You): Nebuchadnezzar II - Babylon
Victory Condition: Science but all other VCs are enabled.
Difficulty: Immortal
Civs/City-States (including player): 8/18
Map Type/Size: Pangaea/Standard
Game pace: Standard

Game options:
Start - Ancient Era
Enabled - None

(Regardless of starting options, you may turn on/off Quick Combat/Quick Movement using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279.
Game Requirements: Wonders of the Ancient World, Babylon and Korea DLC, Gods and Kings expansion, Brave New World Expansion.

Unique Attributes: Babylon

Spoiler :
UA: Ingenuity - Receive free Great Scientist when you discover Writing. Earn Great Scientists 50% faster.

UU: Bowmen - a Unique Ranged Unit that replaces the Archer. It is stronger in combat than the Archer it replaces, both offensively and defensively. It requires you discover the technology of Archery and you do not need a resource to build it.

UB: Walls of Babylon - a city improvement that replaces Walls. The Walls of Babylon increase a city's defense strength by 6 and hit points by 100. You must discover the technology of Masonry and you do not need a resource to build it.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with each individual TSG -- Please Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
Spoiler :
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

TSG Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any game-related info once you open and play the save. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). We will issue medals to the top 3 winners (based on earliest date finished). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts.

File Upload System
We have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note: you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends July 1st, 2015.

The save will be available for download on June 1st, 2015, midnight Central Standard time (UTC -6:00) in the US.

The Save can be found here.

I think I'll move the warrior to the gold hill and see if it's worth crossing the river to settle. If not I'll settle in place. I also noticed we have 2 extra CSs and since it requires Korea as well, they are likely one of the AIs.

Enabled: None

What does this mean exactly? There are no ticks in the advanced game options? or there are no ruins?

- stride

Enabled: None

What does this mean exactly? There are no ticks in the advanced game options? or there are no ruins?

- stride
That means that all the options are left at default, none of the options are checked off. So there are ruins. :)

OK, we have river, coast, salt, but where is mountain? ;)
Sorry about the mountain...

This is one of the best starts I ever rolled, in all the years I've been doing this, so decided to use it and see how fast you guys can get to Science victory using it. :)

Of course, that says nothing about the surrounding terrain. :mischief:

Best of luck.

Nice start :drool:

I'm still obsessing over Liberty, and this looks like a reasonable place to mess around with that. No mountain in the capital = incentive to go a bit wider and spread pop around

Oh boy, salt again.

I wonder how likely it is that the water leads to an ocean and is not just a lake.

Fish won't appear in lakes, so that is coastal. Of course, it might not connect with the main ocean. That is it might have just enough water tiles to be called ocean instead of lake, or might be blocked by ice.

I also see some flood plains over there - so either that river wraps or more likely, there is a junction up north. Possible another ocean and a blocking city?

I also see some flood plains over there - so either that river wraps or more likely, there is a junction up north. Possible another ocean and a blocking city?

I think that is flat desert (based on the tile yield). You could sacrifice most of the good tiles for a chance at Petra.

If you want to stare into the fog it looks like there is a coast/lake to the NE of the forest ...

this great start almost grants GL, i don't know why we shouldn't risk it, even on inmortal, 4 -5 choppable tiles before turn 35 (since capiptal will grow towards the wheat and gold, you'll only need to buy 2-3 tiles to get them, and since there are so many CS and you have salt and gold, looks like you'll have the gold)

you seem to miss only one wheat if you aim for petra, but youl'll miss the river which can become necessary to rush up spaceship if you aint got the gold, so it will depend on there beeing desert hills, its babylon so i think i'tl be asy to have 3 GS before renaisece (if you build GL, HG and take liberty, there's no way you don't get them), placing a GS on a desert hill is a win-win, since you'll have 14 food 4 prod on those 4 tiles you see

on the other hand, its damm vs solar panels, so maybe river is worth loosing, argh, what a complicated start choice-less starts are way easier

but only if the desert is hills if its all plains i'd rather place my GSs on marsh to gain those 2 necessary turns

that wheat is tempting me not to build shrine before grannary, i guess it will depend on ruins, if i get one of thos handy +1 pop ruins at the begining, il go for shrine if i don't... well its effing tempting, so i still don't know, need to play this game NOW

so my first mov before settling will be warrior -> north east to check for deset hills

this will be the first game since i started playing 11 months ago where i'll make research agreements, that will be my challenge

because i know with my usual game play there'll be no chance i end the game before turn 380, and i'd love to rush that, i just hope korea starves at the beggining ot that they'll miss every wonder they try so making RA with them wont be a risk

I'm still obsessing over Liberty, and this looks like a reasonable place to mess around with that. No mountain in the capital = incentive to go a bit wider and spread pop around

Do you think the Babylonian UA is more beneficial to Liberty? I'm not sure, but I think so. A Babylonian 6th city would typically have more GS GPP, but also will have a higher hurdle to spawn a scientist.

Do you think the Babylonian UA is more beneficial to Liberty? I'm not sure, but I think so. A Babylonian 6th city would typically have more GS GPP, but also will have a higher hurdle to spawn a scientist.

Maybe, yeah. It's something worth thinking about... More cities should theoretically get more Great Scientists, which means you can get by with less natural beakers. Theoretically.

But Babylon also naturally gets to Philosophy a lot sooner than other Civs, which means that the "natural" National College start time is sooner. Which means that taking time to found more cities before NC causes a more meaningful delay to NC time than with other Civs. On these settings I think a Bowman rush is something to really think about. You don't need a Library pre-NC in every city if some of those cities are puppets...

Top Bottom