Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Arguments from a gameplay perspective are better IMHO ;) It means you can start constructing buildings right from the start instead of having to chose between Brute and Stone Thrower, I don't think that's a bad idea.

I choose Lesser Wealth. It is an alternate to making units.

There is currently no building-patron.

So whoever calls dips on it is the new person in charge there :crazyeye:

I'd say go for it, for the same reasons Rwn stated. Sounds good :goodjob:#

Edit: Lesser Wealth doesn't generate any :gold: AFAIK since your production is so low. Therefore it would be actually better to build a unit and sell it right away.

It does generate 1 gold/turn IIRC, but maybe selling the unit is actually worth more...

The Lesser Wealth was initially set up to be the same as building a unit and then deleting it. This is why the Wealth processes give so much wealth, they have to match the alternative of building a unit and selling it and so reduce micro management.

Arguments from a gameplay perspective are better IMHO ;) It means you can start constructing buildings right from the start instead of having to chose between Brute and Stone Thrower, I don't think that's a bad idea.

Yes but that argument was obvious and far too subjective to throw out there.;)

Then I'll do it, I was tired of not really having a choice but to build stone throwers or brutes when founding the capital, choices are good.

Go for it, remove it ! ;)

Shouldn't we instead deepen it so as to give it some more interest? Caananism was notorious for human sacrifice and captive gathering. We've never played on that at all there.

I did make a suggestion awhile back on extending these by having upgrades at the techs they currently go obsolete with.

There are many things we had before the C2C timeline starts, fire is one, but makes a better game if we have the discovery in the time line.

I don't see a problem with moving those two though.

If someone is going to mess with moving the techs around or changing some, make SURE that you go to the very very end of the techs when your done and click on that tech, if it is less than 10 seconds your ok, if more than you did something wrong . .

Shouldn't we instead deepen it so as to give it some more interest? Caananism was notorious for human sacrifice and captive gathering. We've never played on that at all there.

Wasn't that what the Hebrews/Israel's used??

<snip>

Originally Posted by Thunderbrd View Post

Wasn't that what the Hebrews/Israel's used??

No it's what the Hebrews/Israel tried to remove from the land of Canaan. The Canaanites sacrificed their babies (burned them alive) to the god(s) Baal/Moleck(sp?). And that was and still is considered an Abomination to Jews and later Christians alike. Jehovah God instructed the Israelites to "cleanse" the land of these wicked and unrepentant peoples when he brought Israel up out of Egypt and across the Jordan River.

JosEPh

It does generate 1 gold/turn IIRC, but maybe selling the unit is actually worth more...

Maybe it's dependent on difficulty? Or it's soooo long ago that it was different back then or I just remember it wrong :crazyeye:

Hey all,

in v35 it was possible to send a chaser, tracker etc but also a stone thrower to automatic hunting. BUT: when you added a great commander, this vanished. Is this solved in the SVN, or are there plans to make this possible?

Also, playing with the SVN yesterday, it was impossible to upgrade a chaser to tracker, despite having the building -> being able to build trackers. What am I missing?

Hey all,

in v35 it was possible to send a chaser, tracker etc but also a stone thrower to automatic hunting. BUT: when you added a great commander, this vanished. Is this solved in the SVN, or are there plans to make this possible?

It is and always has been possible, its just alittle different is all, Koshling had the same request about 2 years ago, and here is what you do:

When you add a great Commander to the unit the (X) disappears, but it really isn't, all you need to do is FIRST click on the UNIT itself and click on HIS auto-hunt and then attach the GC to him then, now you will have to do this quite a few times if the unit is attacked or its attacks. . .best we can do for now, I believe. . .

Even with Hydro's stance that the lack of something in the game means you don't have it (e.g. whole civilisations living on the beach without clothes etc.), what's the excuse for Nomadic Lifestyle as a non-automatic tech? What were we doing before we were subsistence nomads?
I disagree on your stance to nomadic lifestyle tech.

The first nomadic pastoral society developed in the period from 8,500&#8211;6,500 BC
Wikipedia

Some groups might have developed this lifestyle earlier than documented.

Pre-nomadic lifestyle is a thing and involves a much more random lifestyle without a planned survival system.

Before nomadic lifestyle we were basically feral.

Pastoral nomads move between pastures, apparently, which would rather require agriculture (hence not existing before the Agricultural Revolution). One of C2C's earliest techs can't possibly be that sophisticated, as it's on par with language and prior to mastery of fire or any other human accomplishment ever.

Pastoral nomads move between pastures, apparently, which would rather require agriculture (hence not existing before the Agricultural Revolution). One of C2C's earliest techs can't possibly be that sophisticated, as it's on par with language and prior to mastery of fire or any other human accomplishment ever.

This lifestyle was common before the agruicultural revolution, you can think of nomadic lifestyle as an early version of animal husbandry with a twist. (people kept animals for food before what animal husbandry tech represent as well as hunted before what the Persistance Hunting Tech represents.)
Animal husbandry represent a permanent keeping of animals on one farm, hence the word husbandry.

the word husband means "male head of a household" and stems from the norse word husbondi. which literately translated means House (hus) Farmer (bondi).

EDIT: This made me think, perhaps I should add a special society civic between "Primitive" and "Tribal" called "Nomadic". It could have some unique effects and gets unlocked at nomadic lifestyle.
For my civic modmod I mean. but perhaps it should wait until nomadic start has been implemented.

Well, even if control over fire and language are put in to be cool, rather than accurate, we have evidence of cooked foods dating back to nearly two million years ago, which is about ten times longer than Anatomically Modern Humans (homo sapiens) have been around. Even so, if we assume that C2C starts around the time of the Upper Paleolithic Revolution about 50,000 years ago (which is about the time that man first adopted recognisable modern behaviour and probably not too dissimilar to when the earliest human languages started to spring up), that's still some 35-40,000 years before we started to domesticate wild animals such as sheep, pigs and dogs.

Basically, I think the earliest techs are a little out of order and I doubt it would hurt to start with one or two of the very earliest at the beginning of the game.

Well, even if control over fire and language are put in to be cool, rather than accurate, we have evidence of cooked foods dating back to nearly two million years ago, which is about ten times longer than Anatomically Modern Humans (homo sapiens) have been around. Even so, if we assume that C2C starts around the time of the Upper Paleolithic Revolution about 50,000 years ago (which is about the time that man first adopted recognisable modern behaviour and probably not too dissimilar to when the earliest human languages started to spring up), that's still some 35-40,000 years before we started to domesticate wild animals such as sheep, pigs and dogs.

Basically, I think the earliest techs are a little out of order and I doubt it would hurt to start with one or two of the very earliest at the beginning of the game.
Wikipedia said:
Nomadic hunting and gathering, following seasonally available wild plants and game, is by far the oldest human subsistence method.
Nomadic lifestyle did not mark the start of humans having livestock. It represents the start of humans living a planned systematical routine. Nomadic lifestyle has chaged a lot since then and exist even today (nomads with cars and such)

I was a bit misleading in the post where I said "The first nomadic pastoral society developed in the period from 8,500&#8211;6,500 BC " I don't know why I wrote that as it had absolutely no relevance.
I should have just said that it represent the first non-wolf-pack system that humans lived by and is a nice starting point for a tech tree relative to 50 000 BC.

Fair enough then. We seem to agree (on that front at least). :)

Top Bottom