Ancient Military of India

These are Rajput horsemen. The Rajputs, from the harsh deserts of Rajasthan, were some of the fiercest warriors in India. Their armies were composed of almost all cavalry, both camels and horses. They were fanatical Hindus, and fought the Arabs and the Mughals for hundreds of years. The Rajputs were recklessly brave in battle, and never surrendered or fled. When they knew that defeat was imminent, they would put on saffron robes and charge into certain death.

The Greeks called them the bravest warriors they ever met.

The Arabs said “Their character shines brightest in adversity. Their soldiers (Rajputs) know to what it is to flee from the fields of battle, but when the success of the combat becomes doubtful, they dismount from their horses and throw away their lives in payment of the debt of valor.”

A European traveller to India said "The Rajputs embrace each other when on the battlefields as if resolved to die.” The Spartans, as is well known, dressed their hair on such occasions. It is well known that when a Rajput becomes desperate, he puts on garments of saffron color, which act, in technical language, is called kesrian kasumal karna (donning saffron robes)."

The Rajputs would fight against all odds, but when there was no chance of victory, tradition demanded that jauhar or mass suicide take place. The women and children commited suicide by burning themselves to death on a massive funeral pyre. The warriors would don saffron robes and go fight to the death. On some occasions 20,000 Rajputs commited jauhar. But not a single warrior surrendered or fled.

Not without unit animations for war chariots, Rajputs, Indian longbowmen and spearman, maiden guard and lots of other cool stuff:(
Anyone know an Atari member we can lynch. Er, sorry ask politely?

lol :)

I'm not much of a modder, but if anyone here is, would you mind modding a few units? :D

Wow, that jauhar thing sounds amazing :eek:

Do you know if the word jauhar has any relationships to jihad?

No. Jauhar was suicide to save oneself from dishonour.
Jihad was a religious war to save one's faith.

Jauhar is a bit like Hara-Kiri, though it is usually practised by non-combatants.

This is a painting of a battle in ancient India (Sorry the quality is so bad. It's a watercolor, and its been scanned and uploaded and downloaded many times.) But you can still see some of the formations among the infantry, cavalry, chariots, and elephants that I was talking about.

To the right of that battlefield, there are two tight Garuda Vyuha (Eagle Formations) one behind the other, both facing left. To the bottom left, there is a Chakra Vyuha (Wheel or Disc Formation). Behind it are some cavalry in a tight wall formation. In the back of the battle field I see a gaggle of troops, but I can distinguish a Padma Vyuha (Lotus formation). And in the farthest back ranks of both the armies on the left and on the right, I see war elephants in a very tight line formation, they would probably have been used in a direct assault on enemy lines. And in the center, is a lone Indian chariot ;)

BTW, is anyone still reading this? :)

I am.
I just got psp8 and am trying my hand at some cut-n-paste animations. It'll be a long time before I'll be good enough to tackle something like this but I promise to give it a shot when I get the hang of it. If nobody does Indian units in the meantime, I'll try to.:)

Sorry to dig this back up, I was looking through some past articles, when I found this. All I can say is great job :goodjob:

Indian military history is not so common for some reason. Guess the ancient Indians were more into science and math. I did not know much of this, especially about the formations and stuff.

Top Bottom