TSG108 After Actions

And done! Pretty simple one, submitted the save already.

I got lucky for some reason and got Barbs spawn only near the City States and I spent a couple turns killing them and getting friendly. Soon came the gifts and the tech contributions and eventually pushed me up the ladder. Lived through 2 wars and an annoying neighbor Zulu who I had to pen in by buying tiles because he insisted on planting GG's near my borders and stealing land and Alexander went to war only to give up 2 of his cities to beg me to leave. Made my money off pushing to Trading Posts and Mines on every square that wasn't Fresh Water or a River.

The Huns and Korea decided to gangbang but Cho-ko-nu > Bazookas with Railroads kept that problem in check until he got smart and decided for long range arty. Korea hit and quit as early as he could.

Gave up one of Alexander's cities to sue for peace, made every aluminum source I could think of count and pushed for space parts and farms. :D

Moderator Action: Missed this at first, sorry. Once you open the save, you can no longer post in the Announcement thread. Please use the Opening Action or After Action threads. Thanks.

I'm coming back to Civ5 after a 2 year hiatus, so I made plenty of mistakes. Very fun game. I negligently got the wrong victory type (diplomacy). I'm a natural turtle, but I ended up playing this game very aggressively. Only the Greeks, who were my friends in Freedom, kept their original capital. I was encouraged in my bloodlust by the big army I gained via my friendship with the two militaristic city-states to the south. Like a previous poster, I was swimming in gifted ballistae.

And done! Pretty simple one, submitted the save already.

A welcome from me too!
I do notice some spoilers in your message. I think it actually belongs in the after actions thread (see "Information about threads associated with TSG" in the first message of this thread).

Moderator Action: Yes, and moved your post as well. Sorry I missed it earlier, my mistake.

I did what I could, but about 20 turns before I was able to build the space ship Babylon won a culture victory :cry:

I think my biggest mistake was stealing workers from two city states in the very beginning. The penalty is enormous. Got -2 influence with most city states for the entire rest of the game. I knew there was a penalty but I wasn't aware that it is this severe. Seems a bit exaggerated, considering that the first DOW is basically "free".

Oh well, next time I'll know better...

I might be tempted to replay this one to see how I could have fared.

First attempt, settled to the east of the mountains to get a Petra city going. Then I spotted the Zulus and they carpet of death'd me.

Take two: embarrassed by my second consecutive early DOW GOTM loss, I try again just for fun (didn't submit either). Went much more smoothly and the highlight was using the Chinese unique to flatten the Zulus.

Your name: Kendon
Game status: Science Victory
Game date: 1964AD
Turns played: 384
Base score: 1731
Final score: 2277
Time played: 18:09:00

After Shaka stayed hostile for over a hundred turns I started to feel guilty if I didn't attack him. I'm guessing the forest discouraged him from attacking me. On my border I counted 14 Impis and 4 trebuchets. I had 8 riflemen, 4 cannons, two cavalry and a Gatling gun.

It looks like China has the advantage but by the time Shaka sacrificed his nearest city I'd lost 5 riflemen and two cannons. My most effective unit turned out to be the Gatling gun because it could destroy an Impi without moving into a threatened tile. Both cavalry spent most of the war recovering their health.

I managed to use half the good advice offered for Science victories. I saved up my Great Scientists, seven at one point, but during the early game I hesitated to sacrifice production to growth and that kept all my cities below 30. I had lots of happiness and money but the techs didn't come as fast as they do for some other players.

I liberated Babylon to see if that would improve my warmonger reputation. Maybe a little, but Wu Zetian was still facing warmonger insults right up to the end.

The main effect was that Nebuchadnezzar kept wanting to vote for Wu for World Leader, sneaking the offer in as a bonus on luxury deals. The good news was that I could hold back some of my votes on World Leader elections, so the unintended Diplomatic Victory wasn't really a risk.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 108
Date submitted: 2015-04-26 22:11:37
Reference number: 32669
Your name: Sempronius
Game date: 2018AD
Turns played: 438
Base score: 3012
Final score: 3462
Time played: 163:54:00
Submitted save: Wu Zetian_0438 AD-2018.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Sempronius_C510801.Civ5Save

I was fun, I dragged it out since fighting Shaka and Attila was enjoyable.

Game date: 1775AD
Turns played: 265
Base score: 1777
Final score: 3352
Time played: 8:03:00

Finally, completed one! I guess I just play slow, cause I can never finish them.
Hah!

Decided to go the Freedom route since China is a good gold generator and the land near capital seemed well suited for gold generation.
I was able to buy up research labs the turn I got them and most everything else when I needed it, and did buy all the spaceship parts. But the total beakers was somewhat lacking so my bulbing just didn't go as far as and I ended up spending 20-30 turns just finishing research manually.
I'm not sure how you would go about generating more scientists to make up for the lost of 25% bonus from factory you get with Order. I guess 25% more scientists :), I bulbed 8 I had saved and probably ended up generating buying another 4 until the end.
I'll have to check the strategy guide and compare my numbers. I was generating 1000 bpt, 500 gpt, 100 fpt, and 120 cpt when I pulled the trigger and bulbed. Really just 8 turns after research labs, all cities generating science it was probably closer to 1100 bpt.

Although 10 of that was due to Shaka sending a prophet into my two desert cities dropping my faith generation down severely. I had to wait probably an additional 10 turns to buy the last needed scientist with faith. I repaid that kindness with about a half dozen rush bought xcoms and annihilated him in a couple turns before I won.

The map was quite non-settled, I was tempted to drop a few more cities after about 150 because they would have been loaded with luxuries and food. The non-intuitive science penalty per city unfortunately creates a scenario where its pointless to expand. Probably makes more sense to contract.

I'm relatively new to Civ V but decided to try this game. I got my butt kicked.

Got my first settler out too late and most of the area around me was already settled. I had to go north and my new city annoyed the zulus. They declared war a couple of turns later and were joined by the Huns and Babylon within a couple more turns. Also, the barbarians were constantly pillaging my lands.

I was knocked back down to my capitol and retired the game since I had no money, little military, lots of enemies, and no hope to survive.

It was fun to try the game but I still have much to learn about playing Civ V.

First game for ages and it showed with a turn 322SV. I'm sure last time I played there was an extra policy in Tradition.

4th city spot taken by Zulu, but they declared war and ended up losing city in peace treaty. To keep Zulu at bay declared war on them with xbows just to reduce their army.

Struggled to find coal from city states that delayed factories. Finished with too many GS, so probably should have planted first few.

However, was a good refresher game so will try 109.

Welcome back to Civ5, Knap. Shake the dust off those skills and enjoy some GotMs.

Thanks
HR

Top Bottom