The Deity Challenge Line-up #18 - Babylon OCC

Yeah, lots to be played. I put 4, 10 and 14 on hold when this OCC came along, and now I'm finally gonna finish 8 :)

t323 SV
Spoiler :
This game was kind of interesting - my first OCC game and my first Freedom SV where I purchased a lot of parts (4). Pach had 4 parts built, and I was surprised at how well the leaders teched late-game. They snatched several late wonders from under my nose, I am not used to having to compete for any late wonders!

Very early Germany settled 2 cities, one NW and one SE, blocking off some luxes I was looking forward to getting. He also had unstoppable fpt, so it was all I could do to keep the pressure and a GP from converting me. I was first to Radio (Oxford) and quickly had my 6 Foreign Legions attacking. I razed his S city and started getting tiles, and kept USA from landing a settler, but it was clear I couldn't take the N one, so made white peace. Later he DOW'd me, by then I had a huge (in SV terms) army from Mil CS gifts and my own range units, so I razed his N city and had a desert city to 0 health for one of the Maritims CS's to take out, but they couldn't. By then he offered 160 gpt for peace so I took it, and within 30 turns we had a DOF. That money was pretty sweet!

I settled the mtn/river/hill like most, and got only 2 huts, but they were culture and pop (ka-ching!). Went with Earth Mother pantheon, later Tithe and Swords/Plow, and Religious Art/Reliquary (had never taken either before, I believe). Burned a GP to eliminate German religion and try for CS quests, but lost him when I DOW'd. In capturing enemy GP's I noticed one had only 2 uses left - bingo - it was my dude, so I was able to finish spread. :lol:

Missed ToA by 2 turns and FP by 1 turn, argh. But did get HG, so growth was good, and by Renn I had allied all the Maritimes. Also got Big Ben, CR, Hubble (GE), Neuschwanstein (don't ask me why), Oracle, PT, and SoL (GE). Missed Eiffel by a few turns too - that never happens. Pach built the Gr Firewall just as I was about to start - the AI never gets that far on the lower tree on me, even though it's always my 3rd tree of 4.

I only got silver in WF, and Arts Funding passed early, which slowed me down. Policies - full Tradition, Patronage Open and Consulates, several Rat, several Freedom,
Philanthropy and Scholasticism, finish Rat, more Freedom, Commerce open and Wagon Trains, more Freedom, then to Mercantilism, finish Patronage, garbage elsewhere. the Patronage finisher never kicked in, I had it for like 40+ turns, and even with all CS allied, didn't get a single GrPerson - sheesh.

Notable wackiness:
- I had almost no ideological pressure, with almost no influence going out. Nobody else went Freedom, 5 went Order, Assyria and Zulu went Autocracy - Zulu flipped to Order late. Constant DOF's with USA and Pach.
- Assyria stole 5-7 techs mid-game even though I had my 1st Spy home from the start. I even broke my build order to get a Constabulary built at a bad time, but it didn't help. I finally got a few kills and upgrades later, then he stole another 4-5 techs late game, really good ones.
- My constant CS Allies La Venta and Vancouver suddenly started taking potshots at each other, one Arty vs one Melee unit, which lasted the rest of the game.
-The GBR and the lone mtn in the ocean really seemed to screw up the AI, both for swimming Settlers but especially during a long late war between USA and Assyria.

This game went fast, except during the wars (I am a very slow, deliberate warmonger, and never play quick combat. Made 4 Academies. Had no trouble buying coal and aluminum - built a couple nukes for fun near the end, but forgot to nuke Berlin for my signature finish! -- Thanks for the map, Consentient!
Spoiler :

Attachments

• 2015-02-01_00002.jpg
    2015-02-01_00002.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 640
You're welcome Nige! Glad to see you 'back on tour' :)

This puts you at 10 finishes on the Top Finishers list...time to turn it up to 11 :D

My diplo has been atrocious in this game. Wiped out on T150 by Washington in game 1, massively entrenched by two consecutive GG bombs around T170 in the second game - lost three academies and huge swath of land. I may replay again but ... likely eager to start the Aztecs game. I learned a lot by playing this game thought, thx for posting

294 science win.

Spoiler :

Quite an easy map. Probably could have won culture if I had focused on it, but it didn't really occur to me until late.

I continued my tradition of getting lost in shoving my ideology down everyone's throat. Again, probably didn't help my time.

I pass Freedom as the world ideology while only 2 other civs had picked ideologies. Was first to freedom of course. I also took the freedom finisher that gives influence to city states so I could have everyone on the island as my own.

Founded a religion with +faith from world wonders and +% production. Wonder spammed the whole game, so I had a bunch of faith to purchase scientists. I also passed culture for world wonders. I was just selecting policies at the end for the hell of it. Finished tradition, patronage, rationalism, 2 finishers in freedom and through the purchasing discount in mercantilism.

Overall pretty easy map, but it was fun. I had zero wars.
Spoiler :

t323 SV
Spoiler :
This game was kind of interesting - my first OCC game and my first Freedom SV where I purchased a lot of parts (4). Pach had 4 parts built, and I was surprised at how well the leaders teched late-game. They snatched several late wonders from under my nose, I am not used to having to compete for any late wonders!

Very early Germany settled 2 cities, one NW and one SE, blocking off some luxes I was looking forward to getting. He also had unstoppable fpt, so it was all I could do to keep the pressure and a GP from converting me. I was first to Radio (Oxford) and quickly had my 6 Foreign Legions attacking. I razed his S city and started getting tiles, and kept USA from landing a settler, but it was clear I couldn't take the N one, so made white peace. Later he DOW'd me, by then I had a huge (in SV terms) army from Mil CS gifts and my own range units, so I razed his N city and had a desert city to 0 health for one of the Maritims CS's to take out, but they couldn't. By then he offered 160 gpt for peace so I took it, and within 30 turns we had a DOF. That money was pretty sweet!

I settled the mtn/river/hill like most, and got only 2 huts, but they were culture and pop (ka-ching!). Went with Earth Mother pantheon, later Tithe and Swords/Plow, and Religious Art/Reliquary (had never taken either before, I believe). Burned a GP to eliminate German religion and try for CS quests, but lost him when I DOW'd. In capturing enemy GP's I noticed one had only 2 uses left - bingo - it was my dude, so I was able to finish spread. :lol:

Missed ToA by 2 turns and FP by 1 turn, argh. But did get HG, so growth was good, and by Renn I had allied all the Maritimes. Also got Big Ben, CR, Hubble (GE), Neuschwanstein (don't ask me why), Oracle, PT, and SoL (GE). Missed Eiffel by a few turns too - that never happens. Pach built the Gr Firewall just as I was about to start - the AI never gets that far on the lower tree on me, even though it's always my 3rd tree of 4.

I only got silver in WF, and Arts Funding passed early, which slowed me down. Policies - full Tradition, Patronage Open and Consulates, several Rat, several Freedom,
Philanthropy and Scholasticism, finish Rat, more Freedom, Commerce open and Wagon Trains, more Freedom, then to Mercantilism, finish Patronage, garbage elsewhere. the Patronage finisher never kicked in, I had it for like 40+ turns, and even with all CS allied, didn't get a single GrPerson - sheesh.

Notable wackiness:
- I had almost no ideological pressure, with almost no influence going out. Nobody else went Freedom, 5 went Order, Assyria and Zulu went Autocracy - Zulu flipped to Order late. Constant DOF's with USA and Pach.
- Assyria stole 5-7 techs mid-game even though I had my 1st Spy home from the start. I even broke my build order to get a Constabulary built at a bad time, but it didn't help. I finally got a few kills and upgrades later, then he stole another 4-5 techs late game, really good ones.
- My constant CS Allies La Venta and Vancouver suddenly started taking potshots at each other, one Arty vs one Melee unit, which lasted the rest of the game.
-The GBR and the lone mtn in the ocean really seemed to screw up the AI, both for swimming Settlers but especially during a long late war between USA and Assyria.

This game went fast, except during the wars (I am a very slow, deliberate warmonger, and never play quick combat. Made 4 Academies. Had no trouble buying coal and aluminum - built a couple nukes for fun near the end, but forgot to nuke Berlin for my signature finish! -- Thanks for the map, Consentient!
Spoiler :

Loved the part about retrieving your GP. Didn't even know that was possible.

Haha, yeah, I often use captured Missionaries as bait as long as I know they won't pose a threat if recaptured. I saw my poor GP wander off into the fog, captured one 2-3 turns later who still had 4 uses left so he died. Then just before peace I caught another one - he had moved about 12 tiles and was apparently homesick! 2 uses left, it was a bit risky when I used him, but it worked. Can you change unit names any longer?

Haha, yeah, I often use captured Missionaries as bait as long as I know they won't pose a threat if recaptured. I saw my poor GP wander off into the fog, captured one 2-3 turns later who still had 4 uses left so he died. Then just before peace I caught another one - he had moved about 12 tiles and was apparently homesick! 2 uses left, it was a bit risky when I used him, but it worked. Can you change unit names any longer?

I often use captured missionaries to go out looking for missing Natural Wonders. Beyond that, they can be decent scouts/blockers.

I hope you aren't saying you deleted a 4-use GP and didn't plant him as a holy site? I absolutely seek out 4-use GP's to capture just for that purpose, risking war with almost anyone to get this.

How would one change a unit's name?

i think you can only change a unit's name upon promotion. there should be in the corner of the unit a "change name" or "edit name" kind of button. but i think you have to change the name before choosing the promo as it will return to normal unit status after you choose. there are probably mods for that too.

I hope you aren't saying you deleted a 4-use GP and didn't plant him as a holy site? I absolutely seek out 4-use GP's to capture just for that purpose, risking war with almost anyone to get this.
Doh! That's exactly what I did, maybe twice! I know at least once I was in very hostile territory with just a Pike. I think one was safer. I had planted 4-5 GS's, and I guess I was just stuck in the thought that I had planted enough GPeople. :cry:

Hello all! Long time lurker on the DCL threads, first time poster.

Want to start by saying that these threads have been a huge help in learning how to play at Deity. As a long time Civ player I'd never really progressed beyond Prince due to a less than optimum playing style. But reading guides here and seeing how you all play has helped me gain my first Deity victory!

I'm terrible for starting games and never finishing, so pleased that I finally stuck one out for the victory.

Spoiler :
I won't give a detailed account of my game, mainly because I didn't keep a record, but also because I don't think I could add anything that anyone else here hasn't said already.

Anyway, tried to focus on growth, although think I could've micro-managed better to get Babylon bigger. I did get ToA but made an error in tech choice and so didn't manage to grab HG.

Beelined to Education and then went for Astronomy to get the observatory. After that beelined to public schools. Used Oxford to grab radio and adopted Freedom for bought space parts.

Policy choices were to go for Tradition, Rationalism, some Patronage for CS allies and some Commerce for cheaper space parts.

Diplomacy was a strange one throughout... Until ideologies I never had any issues and think my entire army consisted of one warrior! Germany and America were far more interested in each other and Assyria to bother me. After ideologies though things turned and Germany attacked with a backstab. Fortunately by this point I had chosen the Foreign Legions policy in Freedom to give me some defence. I also had built an artillery and was able to build some bombers. However, Germany never really attacked with any concerted effort, they seemed actually more interested in fighting my CS allies (I'd made sure to befriend Mbanza'Kongo and Byblos).

Eventually we made peace, but then, unsurprisingly Bismarck attacked again. Although once more he didn't make any great effort and we eventually made peace. However, I did lose some land to two GG bombs (one of the citadels in the screenshot was mine from the earlier war).

I struggled to maintain DoFs but did make use of the loan gold whenever I could to help buy space parts. The strangest (and slightly annoying) thing was that, once I had a nuclear bomb, I suddenly got a load of leaders afraid and coming to offer DoFs. However, the next turn they'd be back to hostile and denouncing me :crazyeye: Couldn't really work out how the modifiers were working on this one.

Anyway, Germany was the only one to declare war all game in what was an otherwise peaceful turtle to victory. :goodjob:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 21.45.51.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 21.45.51.jpg
    559.7 KB · Views: 171
Congratulations on your first Deity win, and welcome to the DCL! I hope you'll stick around and try some of the other challenges :)

T240 Diplomatic Victory.

First time playing OCC. Planned to go for Science Victory, but changed to diplomatic victory because of low beakers at end game. Also, I was already allied with more than 10 CS, which made the switch in strategy easier.

Spoiler :
DCL18.jpg

Tech path :: Pottery, Writing, Mining, AH, Archery, Wheel, Mathematics, Calender, Philosophy, Drama, Theology,.... Education (T93)

BO :: Scout, Scout, Monument, Granary, Caravan, Library, Bought Water Mill, HG, NC
Stole two workers from Germany.

Wonders :: HG(T53), NC(T60), Hagia, Oracle, PT, Forbidden Palace, Big Ben, Statue of Liberty, Cristo Redentor.

Religion :: Earth Mother Pantheon, Tithe, Swords, Religious Community and Religious texts.

SP :: Full Tradition, Patronage till Scholasticism, Commerce opener, and Freedom Ideology.

WC :: Controlled WC throughout. Passed Science funding at first session, World Ideology -> Freedom at second session (Was able to pass this easily as no one other than me adopted an ideology) and culture from world wonders in 3rd session.

T293 science victory, second OCC, probably first deity win.

Game was mostly uneventful. Settled next to the mountain, got the quarry pantheon and the food and production religion bonuses. Missed the Gardens but got the other relevant wonders (Oracle, LToP, PT, SoL). Went tradition - commerce opener - rationalism RHS - freedom rationalism finisher, mercantilism and openers + phil in patronage.

Made a couple of mistakes
- Keeping a long 'war' with Vancouver as a training ground, but the food would have been worth more than the XP
- Should have acquired all riverside squares within 3 tiles, now Germany nabbed two (which I later citadelled back) and Byblos got a floodplain (which I also used a citadel on)
- I mismanaged diplo by spying on US and Germany. The RA's I lost were probably worth more than the two mid-level techs.

End game took quite long, got plastics around T200 but then spent a lot of time researching. Interestingly, after I built my first nuke (around T255) all the AI went from hostile/guarded to afraid and suddenly wanted to be friends again, so 30 turns later I got an enourmous research boost from 5 RA's which finished the game. It's amazing how easy it is to completely out-tech the AI on deity with only one city...

T357 DomV
I find OCC is fun for DomV as you have no issues with happiness at all.

Spoiler :
So, no, I did not go tradition, which probably was an error, but went full honor. I also did not want to fall behind in science early in the game, so I made sure I do not delay NC (except that I build ToA before) and Universities. So I build NC before comp bows and universities before x-bows. I planted three GS. I did not anticipate the game to take that long, otherwise I would have planted more I guess. I even built Oracle, as I usually lack culture in my DomV games. After Universities I went for artilleries and frigates though, and starting there I started falling behind the Inca (who were not great at science either, but still better than the rest). Public schools even came after Industrialization, which I stole.

Focusing on science slowed my early expansion down by a lot.

T97: I razed the first city
T140: Berlin fell.
T159 Washington followed.

I was warring those two since the early game to get some XP and later money. Assyria was a tough one, he had the Great Wall and a huge army and was peaceful on his continent all by him alone.

T247 Assur fell, but he would not make peace, so his second city nine-whatever with Petra fell as well, finally made peace at around T257-ish. Anticipating the win, I already made a 10 turn agreement with Inca to take down Shaka. My troops arrived just in time to honor that agreement.

T267: Kyoto was no more. It was already owned by the Zulu (so was Paris).
T304: I burned Ulundi.

During most of this war I had like 5 frigates in front of Paris but it took forever to get the defense down. Once Ulundi fell I gave up, made peace and upgraded them to Battleships. In hindsight I should have moved them way earlier to upgrade. but with OCC this is the most pain in DomV...in order to upgrade you need to move aaaall the way back to your city. So it took like 8 turns to get frigates back to Babylon, upgrade another turn and 8 turns back. Paris fell t324.

During my War with Assyria I had to bribe Inca to go to war with Germany and US, as they kept on plotting against me. It was actually pretty cheap, but considering that I left Germany alive with only one city, I probably should have wiped them off the map back then. After Assur fell, I had to do the same with Assyria, otherwise the three would team up and DOW me. Had to reload and go back 10 turns once as I simply had no army at home to war three other nations. Germany eventually fell to the Inca, but I had to make sure that at least one of them (US/Assyria) was at war with Inca at any given time during the rest of the game.
About 15 turns after Paris fell, I DOW the Inca and one turn later US/Assyria DOWed me...Inca was about 9 techs in front of me, and his nuclear subs decimated my Battleship fleet, that I lost all hope of winning, but I was able to keep a handful alive. His 10+ bombers in surrounding cities and me only having 3 triplanes on a carrier (thanks to not being able to upgrade) did not help either.

T357: Finally I was able to take Cusco with 4 Bships, 1 carrier and 1 destroyer left. I had like 4 more BShips around Babylon, but no chance of getting them anywhere near Cusco. The Inca were due to achieve a cult win on t363.

Great Generals are great in a OCC, I had no issues with iron or oil and even got some additional luxs:

@Vanatteveldtl Thats ágood science win with babylon and tradition. Well done.

@Tarbos were you able to get a win? It seems difficult for you from what i see in the screenshot.

Yes I won. Was quite a struggle though. Having to fend off Assyria and Washington at Babylon did not help :)
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

^^Oic.. You took everyones capital eventually, assyria, inca and america. Thanks for sharing.

Latecomer, but SV T270.

Spoiler :
Not sure what I could have done to get this finished faster, maybe more RAs or having more CS allies early so I could block Arts Funding but I think there's probably only about 10-20 turns there...
No wars all game, though after I snapped up some more CS lategame I had a bunch of denunciations coming my way. Only managed to keep 2 RAs till the very end, popping on nanotech.
Some things I didn't really think about considering I haven't played OCC much:
  1. I only ever had 1 worker! I thought he wasn't doing too badly keeping up with improvements, so I never built a second (and the first was rush bought as soon as I could get lump sum gold off germany and america. This might have slowed my game a bit since definitely one missed round of salt sales and sightly slowed early growth
  • I built ToA, Hanging Gardens, Oracle, Hagia Sophia, Porcelain Tower, Broadway, Hubble, Statue of Liberty. Missed Eiffel by 2 turns, forgot to get Pisa. GL went T30 so I was glad i didn't try for it. Broadway was because I had -7 happiness from ideological pressure - went Freedom when Bismarck and Washington went Order so I thought I would nab some extra tourism.
  • I think I maybe should have gone order and perhaps thereby managed to keep more of the RAs? But I was third to ideology, so both free order tenets were gone and Civil Society looked really tempting. Then again, I would have had Skyscrapers so I could have bought more buildings/CS earlier...
  • I never built a military. My net units were a scout that ruin popped into a bowman and a swordsman from a CS for most of the game. Later once AI started looking mean I took Volunteer Army for the free units, and upgraded my bowman/swordsman, but I was honestly surprised I didn't get DOWed. I never bribed anybody, just kept fleecing AI for gold...
  • I don't know whether I suffered from not exploring. No sea ships and reluctance to send half my army overseas meant I didn't find find some CS until their units showed up in places I had spies, and then in places I had allied. I never met one: only knew it existed because of Satellites.

T273 DV

This was a very tough map for me and it took me about a dozen attempts. I either had Washington forward settle right near the marble/silver leading to an eventual DOW or in most games I would have a massive tech lead (~10% higher than the average) and would end up losing out to the runaway slingshotting ahead.

In this particular game it was the first one where I did not settle on the mountain/riverside 3 salt hill. It meant losing out on a salt and nice iron tile but it allowed me to pick up the marble and wonderspam. I ended up with 18 wonders including Hanging Gardens, Alhambra and Chichen Itza. I don't recall ever getting any of those 3 on a non-spain deity game.

As far as religion I picked up +2 faith per wonder and +15% production. Washington plotted against me at the end although never followed through. Bismark hated me ever since he went order. I had passed world ideology Freedom when Japan and I were the only 2 with an ideology.
I only won the diplo victory from allying with all of the city states and having Forbidden Palace and Globalization. I was unable to bribe anyone into voting for me despite offering 3,000g and +225 gpt.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom