The Deity Challenge Line-up #23 - Huns' invasion

Another hilariously bad attempt at this:

Spoiler :

Figuring it may be better to take out America first and come back for Ethiopia and Rome later, the first part went well but then Ethiopia came out with the Great Wall. I quit :)

t128 replay
Spoiler :
So having read the spoilers and getting tips from Acken and others, I restarted from when I got the Ram upgrade. Went W instead to battle USA - holy crap did he spam units while I was building up a force. I had 5-6 HA by t50, but it still took a long time and 2 citadels. Didn't knock him out until t75. Then had to dual DOW Haile and Rome as they were both in my way. I must have killed 3 Roman settlers and 3 crap cities before even getting to Addis Ababa, which slowed me way down. Ethiopia's 2 cities fell easily (again - 2nd one total crap in NE corner on ice). Cut through Rome's speed bump cites on the way to Rome easily (one was 11 pop), and Rome fell in only 2-3 turns t115 - BUT - he had placed a city on the E island with the 2 CSs, so I am having a heck of a time working thru the cramped land, and then I met Harald and now WC founded t128, so all the world will know my sins if I take him out.

In retrospect I should have made peace earlier for Cumae, razed it, then DOW'd him again - so much easier, and I might have finished earlier. I suppose now I should just see if I can bribe Harald to take it? Anyway, quite the difference to only have one front (although I did have to keep units back on the S shore to kill Settlers and boats).

Went 5/6 Honor, but what is the point of the finisher with no wars for a long time? So opened Liberty with 6 cities (4 puppets). I probably should have gone into Liberty or Tradition after Mil Tradition. Mil Caste is nice, but most of my units are in the drink. Anyway, I am 15% behind in tech, prior game I had culture pastures and so things went faster. This time I found a full GP in Haile's cap, thought about planting, but got the 5th religion - took God-King, Tithe, and Rel Comm (prod bonus) just to get up to speed a bit.

Other Diety BS - most cities I captured had decent buildings - EXCEPT ROME. Nothing. I saw the flash just as the city screen opens, there were like 8, then they were all gone. What a bunch of crap! [Edit - after selling resources I went up over 50gpt, haha!]
@consentient
Spoiler :
"...and really wanted to see the look on Boudicca's face when I nuked her after liberating her. I'm not sure there is even any kind of weird Steam Achievement for that, but I just hate the Celts. "
:lol:

Attachments

• 2015-03-14_00016.jpg
    2015-03-14_00016.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 609
Huh? What do you mean? He won!

He did? In the screenshot Kaupang was there still unconquered. For domination win you have to conquer all the capitals. Kaupang still was unconquered in the screenshot. Are you using your imagination?

Of course he is, this is the Huns DCL :hmm:

Will post a report when i win this one but it will be a late win. Good job to consentient for managing a t252 win :goodjob:

No, he achieved a Domination victory. You are COMPLETELY wrong in what you say, sadly. :)

Am I the only one who think that someone is just a little bit trolling here? :D

Moderator Action: If you think someone is trolling, please report the post and let us handle it. To accuse someone of trolling is to be a troll yourself.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

My first 100 turns seem to be similar to most of yours.

Spoiler :
Got Ram at t2, Addis fell at T5. Got 1 scout promoted to archer and built a 2nd to take Ethopias 2nd city at t19.
Moved troops to Washington, DOWed US at t29 with 1 ram, 2 archers 1 HA. Lost 1 Archer to Washington, which I took control over at t34. Had to rushbuy an Archer since the AI somehow thought it would be a better idea to attack my capital than to defend their last city. Took down his 3 warriors and his range units were very useless afterwards (but kept bombarding a city they could not take instead of moving home). Also built a second and third HA and took his 2nd city (NY) at t51, should have razed it, but did not.
After US was no more, I went fight Caesar. Built a 4th HA, then DOWed at T60. Upgraded Archers to CBs. Lost 2 HA during the conquest and took Rome at T91 with 2 CB, 2 HA and one Ram.

NC was finished on T86. At T100 I am still 7 Turns of Theo and 12t for Education away from starting to build Universities.

I went liberty, so now I will just concentrate on science, getting the continent filled with my own cities and annex the capitals (razed all expos but New York). I will not get to Renaissance in time to open Rationalism. Not sure what policy I will take. Maybe Patronage. Two of my settlers at currently on the move to build my first two expos.

Got the faith tundra pantheon. I am sure Ethiopia had it first, but since he was no more I guess it became available again.

Spoiler :

This map and loss were painful. I'll probably try again, but only after everything isn't fresh in my mind and I'm not so sick of clicking. Domination is definitely my weakest VC, and I'm better starting my conquest with bombers and infantry than composites.

I was tempted to move one tile SE to get the salt in range of my cap, but after I thought about it giving up the deer and sheep in the first ring wasn't worth it. I was thinking domination from turn 1. I hit a culture ruin right away, and went liberty. My problem with Attila is usually not getting high level horse archers, but making enough of them fast enough and having the population to support that production. I dunno, I didn't have enough gold for all of the unit rush buying I wanted to do later so maybe I should have sucked it up and went honor.

I also stepped on a Ram ruin, and took Addis really early. I started teching pottery for a granny, and just went ahead and finished the tech and the building before I built an archer and then 7 HA. I went with the liberty worker before the settler, because I had enough pop in Addis to be unhappy but at full production. I stopped leveling up on Harar and wiped out Ethiopia around turn 50 once I saw Washington moving troops into position to attack. Meanwhile, I got a DOF from Rome! Not that I thought that it would last long, but at least I got a little TR science. I also settled my free settler on the wine on the coast to the North, and nearly had a HA out before the war with America started. I later used one of my extra GG to steal the nearby whales (and oil as it turned out.)

Once Washington attacked, I sat on my side of the river and picked off his troops, then moved in for the kill finally finishing him off around turn 70. Rome was a PITA due to terrain, and I waited for optics to finally make the push through the pass so I could swarm with several HA at once. I also built a trireme and sailed the stupid thing into the ice wall in the north first, then came all the way around to cap crappy city Rome founded by the NW on the CS island. Rome even planted a troll city right by my cap while losing the war! So at about turn 110 I'm looking at a barren continent full of crappy cities wondering how far ahead everyone else is. My cap had 6 pop when I picked up the Liberty finisher, so I went GS and decided to make New York my science city. I planted the GS and hard built the NC there while sending it trade routes and growing it. I was thinking Observatory and multiple pastures, and it had growth potential on par with Washington with better production. I built Machu there to help with gold, and I got a late religion. I went with messenger of the gods as my pantheon when I founded, and at one point that was giving me 26 of 150ish science.

I met everyone about turn 130, and I was only 8 techs behind the leader Denmark. Denmark had crazy gold going, and actually spent it on city-states. He had every single one, and several hundred influence on each. Assyria had the strongest military, Edinburgh, and was denounced by everyone. I denounced him too after he attacked India, and was friends/trading with everyone else. My tech stunk and my strongest production port city was in a bad spot to get boats to the front, so I didn't attack until almost turn 190. Once I got the war started, my real problem was that I didn't send enough ground troops to hold the territory I was taking. I liberated the Celts, captured Delhi and used that city as my beachhead. I provided frigate support to Mumbai, which kept Gandhi alive and distracting Assyria. I think I could have won this map if I had gotten more riflemen to the other continent in time to hold Assur when I could first take it. After a while, I just started capturing it and holding it few turns while I pummeled troops from the sea, but I couldn't hold it from the sea because the terrain only allowed 3-4 ships to fire most turns.

So I was on shaky ground, and things got worse in a hurry. I never caught up to Harald's 8 tech lead, and looking at the graphs later I saw his military score start to sky rocket as soon as I attacked Assyria. He made a real armada of battleships. Theodora decides to join the fight against Assyria, and Harald quickly decides that it's a good time to beat up Theodora. Theo starts losing cities to Harald, and then Assyria snipes one from them from her and I'm assuming got electronics because a few turns later, he goes right from Galleass to Battleships. He opened Exploration, so all of a sudden I'm losing slightly damaged range/logistics frigates to battleships I can't see in one shot. I was working around the peninsula and taking cities while pushing with riflemen/artillery and liberating Celtic cities, and all of sudden I'm halted in my tracks and retreating. He adds a few GWB to terrorize my artillery.

At this point I can see Harald's fleet in action, and it doesn't look good. He has a lot of battleships, and Theodora is losing fast. I hit plastics to get infantry to match Denmarks, rush buy a couple research labs in my bigger cities and upgrade my surviving riflemen. Then it's over to Electronics and battleships about T245. Only 8 of my 18 frigates survived, but I have Assyria finished by T255. Nineveh was awesome with Petra (desert sheep with stable, fertilizer, Hunnish UA, etc. is 4F5H) and could have cranked out a bomber every 3 turns or so, more with a food caravan to grow it a bit. Now it's time to size up Denmark, only to realize after a few turns of infrastructure building for the last push that he is producing 800 tourism on me after bonuses.

After cracking Assyria, Harald's military score was about 4x mine even after upgrading everything, and my score wasn't skewed by having a lot of ranged units. About turn 265 I just gave up, and clicked next turn until he won on 272. I just didn't have the military to fight his, at least not in the time frame I needed to. It would have taken me to turn 300, at least, the way things were going.

My culture was abysmal most of the game, so I went order after Harald did when I saw that he was already familiar. I had more production than gold, so I probably got more units from Order, but Autocracy would have better enabled me to produce the units on the other continent in a critical mass at the right time. Because I had full commerce and Big Ben in New York I probably should have bitten the happiness bullet and gone for the cheap units.

Looking back, I should have bribed Denmark into the war against Assyria. I also stopped building units after the standing army tax was passed (Denmark was targeting Assyria at the time) and built banks, and I should have just kept up my push. But I was down to like 35gpt. I also probably built too many HA based on what others have said they did, and later not enough riflemen. I'm sure I didn't grow my cap enough, but taking a city so soon without any luxes developed really killed my early growth. Unhappiness came and went as a growth problem until I had my continent under control.

Attachments

• DCL23Loss272.jpg
    DCL23Loss272.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 116
  • DCL23Loss_2.jpg
    DCL23Loss_2.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 155
  • DCL23America.jpg
    DCL23America.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 129
Attila has won the game through sheer diplomacy, loveliness, and quick wits. :p (and hard cash)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 139
Wow! AI won CV 272t - a little more and I will believe that AI actually can play this game ;)

T294 SV

Spoiler :
So after taking the continent, I tried to get my science going, which worked so lala. I just started catching up when I had to decide if I go on the war path again, or stay your nice neighborhood hun. I decided to do the latter and scored a science victory one turn before Theodora.
Once again my culture was bad all game long. I was late for Ideologies and only got 1 free tenet freedom. I got massive unhappiness for going Freedom, but since I could build status of liberty I stuck to it. But could not get 6 tenets together to actual buy a single part, had to hardbuild all of them. WF was never proposed at all, no IG and no Space Station.

On my first attempt I would have finished my final two parts at t295, but Theodora finished that same turn her spaceship and won. I messed up my GS bulbing, with getting two GS and one RA (with Theodora) too much... leaving me researching waaay too much and start building parts too late. So I restarted some 50 turns earlier and replayed the final part. This time, I again messed up my bulbing the other way around. I never agreed to the RA, I started bulbing too early and accidentally switched into full production mode, delaying my final 2 GS. Which caused me to having research the final part for 10 rounds and then build it, while all others would have been finished. I delayed most other space parts and went full research mode, which shaved off a few turns.
In the end, I finished 1 turn earlier then in the last game, whit Theodora missing the final piece.

Research milestones:
t118 Universities
t176 schools
t223 plastics

Besides culture, my other problem was money...I rarely had any in this game. One of the first WC items that passed was embargo city states, and since I was desperately trying to catch up with science, I did not bother exploring, or building a harbor, thus no trade routes to the other nations until very late in game. Even if I would have the culture to get the freedom tenet to buy the pats, I would not have the money.

Top Bottom