Questions about The BUG Mod

I guess I don't see the problem. Each player should see their own log from their own point of view. The logs will be different, of course, but that's fine.

I thought you meant the logger does things like

Code:
# Log the player's action
player = gc.getPlayer(0) # assume first player is up, BAD

It couldn't hurt to try. :)

@walbeek - Are you accessing our SVN repository on SF.net directly to get the latest changes file-by-file? If so, sync to the latest so you get the INI file change to allow multiplayer.

If not, change "BUG Mod.ini" yourself:

Code:
# This mod should work multiplayer
SinglePlayerOnly = [B]0[/B]

Now try the same game or a new one and let us know if you see BUG.

BTW, are you running it as a mod or in your CustomAssets folder?

@EmperorFool: Yes, I WAS using the file by file SVN update, but stopped using it because 3.13 is currently incompatible with BAT. Now I have the current self-extracting bug and fbug files from SF installed, they're working with 3.13.

As for the changed BUG mod.ini:
However, on the multiplayergame the BUG mod is not present (we changed the BUG mod.ini file line "SinglePlayerOnly = 1" to 0). It plays as a normal game w/o the BUG mod. Also the custom units from BAT(fbug) are not present in the Multiplayer game... for the players. All AI player have the Civ Unique cutom-art units. But the players themselve have the original civ-units (except for the spearman?!?!?:confused: )

So we already tackled that...

We both have the battybug installed in CustomAssets. We're now going to try installings as a mod next.
It's not MP compatible. I think you can install into a Mod folder, and load that up and play an MP game that way, but I haven't tried it yet, so don't know if it would work.:(

Sorry, I forgot you were the one that pointed it out (posted too fast). Yes, please try it as a mod. It makes sense that Civ4 would not load CustomAssets files in multiplayer. I've got my fingers crossed!

If that doesn't work, you might want to try just using BUG from SVN without BAT. I don't see how that should matter, but I know everything that is in BUG and can help you there better.

Bushface - unless you have modified your Documents folder within Vista, that is the directory that BTS puts the files. First, I'd suggest downloading and using the .exe file as it will automate this process for you, as it uses variables and your registry to locate the location of the BTS documents. If that doesn't work I'd suggest using your search feature and searching for "CustomAssets".

TbeLastOne - You need to set this up as a Mod, in the Mods folder. Also, if the other player is not using The BUG Mod, there will be a popup generated stating that the other player is using a different version then you because of the Mod being loaded. This should still allow gameplay though.

No, it's right. He's using Vista. The documents folder is in a different location, but the .exe file is set up to find the right location. on my pc it's C:\Users\Hazem\Documents\My Games\Beyond The Sword.

No, it's right. He's using Vista. The documents folder is in a different location, but the .exe file is set up to find the right location. on my pc it's C:\Users\Hazem\Documents\My Games\Beyond The Sword.

Wait, Bushface said:

I'd like to install the BUG mod, but the instructions say to put it into a folder called "BTS Documents". Search as I may, I cannot find such a folder...

Now, no instruction says to put BUG inside a folder called "BTS Documents", and of course he has not found it, because it doesn't exist.

It's not MP compatible. I think you can install into a Mod folder, and load that up and play an MP game that way, but I haven't tried it yet, so don't know if it would work.:(
As long as you're both running BUG as a mod, it should work fine. None of the changes are single-player only. I've fixed the INI file.
@walbeek - Are you accessing our SVN repository on SF.net directly to get the latest changes file-by-file? If so, sync to the latest so you get the INI file change to allow multiplayer.

If not, change "BUG Mod.ini" yourself:

Code:
# This mod should work multiplayer
SinglePlayerOnly = [B]0[/B]

Now try the same game or a new one and let us know if you see BUG.

BTW, are you running it as a mod or in your CustomAssets folder?
We yesterday finaly got around to trying a Multiplayer game installed as a MOD. When the BUG mod loaded as a mod, No games (neither active nor closed. The list is just EMPTY appear in the multiplayer internet-staging room. We figures, only games with the same MOD loaded appeared, but when I started a new game, he didn't see that game in the staging-room either, and vice versa.:(

When unloading the MOD and returing to the multiplayer internet staging room all games have returned to the list and starting a new game that the other would see was possible. But without BUG :cry:

I recently installed Blue Marble. Blue Marble just kept working, no difference playing single or double player. For the record: my friend has the same version of BUG (2.1 from SVN repository) but no Blue Marble installed. I doubt however that BlueMarble had anything to do with it.

To install the BUG as a mod we coppied the CustomAssets and CustDomAdv folders and the AdvUnitNaming.ini (or something like that) to mods\BUG mod and copied the BUG mod.ini to mods. The entire BUG mod remained also installed in CustomAssets. Again, in a single player game the BUG works GREAT :goodjob:

MODs need to be Assets not CustomAssets. Rename that directory and try again.

Okay, changed it, but no difference. There are no games in Multiplayer internet stagingroom again with BUG loaded as a mod with files in Assets. None at all. Even tried an SVN update, so I'm using the latest BUG.

When I continue and set up a new multiplayergame and start it by myself, it will load fine WITH bug. The problem is, nobody, including my friend who is using the BUG mod aswell (that was yesterday, haven't tried it with the CustomAssets renamed to Assets yet, but I figured since the problem is exactly the same that would not have been te cause) can see our game.

When unloading the mod, a lot of available games will appear in the list.

Attachments

• Stagingroom.jpg
    Stagingroom.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 786
Just to double-check, but is your friend also loading the BUG mod before trying to see your game?

What happens if you both just have it installed in CustomAssets in "My Games/BtS" and not as a mod? Since you see BlueMarble, I would expect you to see BUG as well. Or is this how you got the flashing message about modified assets?

We're not doing anything kinky to make it not work as a mod. I guess I'd recommend making sure you can start some built-in mod multiplayer game and have you friend see it. If so, tell me which mod and I'll see if there's something I missed.

Just to double-check, but is your friend also loading the BUG mod before trying to see your game?
Of course.
What happens if you both just have it installed in CustomAssets in "My Games/BtS" and not as a mod?
A Multiplayer game will start as a normal game, without BUG mod.
Since you see BlueMarble, I would expect you to see BUG as well. Or is this how you got the flashing message about modified assets?
I do not recall that message, possibly someone else mentioned this. I searched all thread in this BUG forum, for possible multiplayer issues. Could only find the post from TheLastOne36, who seems to got it working right on Multiplayer, but on his game other people could join but got the Message "TheLastOne is using a different version".

I did post earlier for not seeing BUG when starting a game in Multiplayer while having it installed in CustomAssets. I did however see the FBUG (old version BAT) units for the AI players. (Now we don't have FBUG installed anymore). The strange part is: when loading Bug as a mod, that there are no active games in the internet-staging room, where there are normally hundreds of games. Unloadind the MOD resolves this, but lets the game play as a normal BtS game (Bug is also installed in CustomAssets).

I don't know how Blue Marble works, but that works fine: Single- and Multiplayer, without exeption or modification.
We're not doing anything kinky to make it not work as a mod. I guess I'd recommend making sure you can start some built-in mod multiplayer game and have you friend see it. If so, tell me which mod and I'll see if there's something I missed.
OK, we'll do. I'll report back when we did so.

BlueMarble is installed in CustomAssets, which is why I was hoping BUG would work there. I guess Civ only loads XML and art changes (which is why you saw the BAT ethnic units) but not Python.

Can you post your "BUG Mod.ini" and "CivilizationIV.ini" files?

Those both look fine. And when you play as a mod, I see the folder is correct ("BUG Mod"). Is your friend's folder named correctly as well?

I'm sorry, I'm out of ideas at this point. :(

I asked TheLastOne by PM to post here how he got BUG to work in Multiplayer. According to his posts in the Latest Version thread of this forum he got it to work fine. Hope TheLastOne responds..... :)

you could try to connect via "direct ip" instead of using the internetlobby.

just an idea...

I've looked everywhere and I can't find the answer to these two question:

1. I have a game I started with BUG mod 2.00 (I use it in my //MODS// folder) Can I throw the new version in and continue with my game that's in progress?

2. With my current game I go into the BUG settings and make changes, but the changes I make are never saved nor even implemented in the game.

The folder names in mods is: BUG Mod and there are two ini files in the root of that directory (no where else) BUG Mod.ini and BUG.ini. I am using my own set of leader and civs via customassets.

Can someone please help me figure out why I can't save changes? The mod worls fine on default settings, but there's some things I need to change.

Top Bottom