The Search for the Dragon's Hoard, my Scenario Design Contest Entry

westamastaflash

Lord Commander
I'll be using this thread to gather feedback and post work on my possible scenario design contest entry.

The goal of the scenario is to travel across deserts, under mountains, through ancient forests, and past haunted lands to the lair of Acheron the Red Dragon, and to return home with his head, as well as a greater part of his hoard.

I'll present the basic design idea first, and as I develop the scenario, I'll update accordingly.

I'm planning on building a "RPG" style adventure with both a predefined "world map" and "random dungeons", which are accessed using the "explore lair" functionality, or through random encounters on the world map. This is similar to the war machines of the gods scenario in the main FFH, except each dungeon will have random terrain, with a random boss monster and lower level monsters, hopefully scaling to the power level of the adventrers.

The user will select 4 heroes using a custom built "hero-maker" designed with python.

You start with a base hero:
Axeman
Archer
Hunter
Adept
Acolyte

You can select a religion for your unit if you'd like (selecting it for the Acolyte determines what type of unit it should be).

You select a special attribute for each hero:
Strong (Axeman / Hunter only)
Dextrous + Sinister (Archer / Hunter only)
Unholy Taint (Adepts / Acolytes with Evil religions only)
Potency (Adept only)
Illusionist (Adept only)
Magic Resistant
Light

Heroes start with the "hero" promotion, but I want to figure out a way to have them not gain XP every turn.

You will use a "Party" unit on the main map (just a champion or some such). All encounters on the world map send you to the "dungeon" section of the map, where your "party" unit will be split into your remaining heroes. There will be a portal at the entrance, and another will be created at your location once you clear the dungeon of all monsters. Some encounters may be in forests, or grasslands, or deserts, not just dungeons.

Let me know what you guys think of this idea.

This sounds very similar to the scenario that I am working on, which so far is a Khazad themed scenario.

The main idea is that we are both using switchable maps (I think?) and a D&D campaign style of play.

My scenario has the main character performing a variety of missions as the storyline unfolds. I have gotten the basic mechanics working, but seem to have limited time for adding events and interface stuff.

Any interest in collaborating?

Anyhow, I look forward to trying out your scenario when you have a downloadable version!

It's not dead. I'm working on it, haven't had much time with work. I'm currently working on building the python to generate the random dungeons.

Lutefisk - sounds like a neat idea. I want to get my basic code worked out, but any help would be appreciated (and I can send you what I build if you'd like to use it).

I'm thinking it could be reused with different "overworld" maps...

What type of concept are you using to code for random dungeons?

I have a code chunk that I worked up that is working pretty well, but it has limitations. (I would love to be able to change a lot of stuff to "onMove" things, but that is not allowed in the contest!).

Anyway, the dungeons LOOK plausable, and not just a random hash of stuff. In a way, I am thinking that it might be interesting to see what we come up with independently and then compare notes. I bet that we are coming at this in totally different ways!

In any case, I am going to try to release a "sampling" version of my scenario in a week or so, just so that people can try it out and play with the new features. I will need to merge my work back into the current patch version, though. I think I am still using "g" or something equally old!

Keep in touch!

Is this dead or will this mod still be possible some time in the future? If you get code for these random encounters ... I would certainly like to see a ffh version where each "battle" becomes a tactics map ... of course your idea sounds much simpler :) Good Luck!

Sorry about this, I've been stuck with a project from work for the past few months, and haven't had a chance to play with this at all :-(. Feel free to use any ideas in here in your mods! Someday, maybe, I'll get back to it.

Top Bottom