BAT Errata

No, map regeneration was broken in BUG 4.3 which is in BAT. It is fixed in BUG (unreleased) and the fix will go into both mods soon when we release new versions.

BAT has the same advisor screens as BUG and BUFFY, but perhaps you are seeing the cloud/sky background that comes from BlueMarble? You can install BM by itself to get the pretty terrain and backgrounds in BUG and BUFFY. See the FAQ in my sig if you have questions.

As for the random crashes I wish I could reproduce it. Without a predictable cause I cannot find a solution. :( Maybe we'll find that Lemon Merchant's cleaning up of the graphics stuff ends up fixing this problem. One can only hope. :)

I use Blue Marble but run BAT without it and nothing else either - I use the null Custom Assets as explained previously. Whatever I see is different from BUG and BUFFY, which I both use extensively, and it's very nice.

Let me know if yall need any log files or anything from me.

BAT recently incorporated much of the BlueMarble terrain graphics so you don't need to install it separately. It is only lacking the theme IIRC. BUG and BUFFY don't have it but work with it.

As for logs, the crashes are from the EXE which doesn't do any logging we can use. I'm very hopeful that improvements in the individual graphic components that make up BAT will eventually solve the crashing when exiting to the main menu. Given that it is non-destructive, I think for now it's going to remain as-is.

One thing I probably like most about BAT, besides the better graphics, of course, is the beautiful adviser screens - I think they are the best of any mod I've seen. I'm not sure if they are inherent to BAT itself or part of a separate component Mod like VD. Anyway, if everything continues to go smoothly with BAT, I hope to make it my preferred mod over my currently preferred BUFFY.
I use Blue Marble but run BAT without it and nothing else either - I use the null Custom Assets as explained previously. Whatever I see is different from BUG and BUFFY, which I both use extensively, and it's very nice.
Which advisor screens in BAT do you prefer? Tech (F4), Religion (F7), other?

Which advisor screens in BAT do you prefer? Tech (F4), Religion (F7), other?

No real preference, per se, I just like the overall look and feel of all the screens.

It looks like Avian just uploaded VD 9.0. When, just asking in a nice way, can we expect an updated BAT for this? If it is a long wait, I will set up VD to run as the mod and BUG from custom assets.

It looks like Avian just uploaded VD 9.0. When, just asking in a nice way, can we expect an updated BAT for this? If it is a long wait, I will set up VD to run as the mod and BUG from custom assets.
My goodness. Is everyone afraid that I'll yell at them? :lol:

I've been waiting for Varietas, too. What's going to happen with BAT is this:

EF is currently putting the finishing touches on a new version of BUG, as I understand it. When it's ready, I will release a new version of BAT with the new BUG and current VD version (8.0) that is in BAT right now. I just put together a crude test bed of BAT with VD 9.0 tonight, and I will be playtesting and tuning it for about a month before it is released.

No slight to Avain, but I want to make sure the new version of Varietas is completely stable before I put it into BAT. I don't want the same issues that we had with 2.1 and all of the crashing problems. It isn't fair to our users if it doesn't work as well as we can make it work. :)

Thank you. I guess I will play BAT 2.2 for awhile still then. I tried to implement BUG plus VD plus Blue Marble plus BBAI myself which I used to do when BAT fell behind, but it may have become more complicated as VD as a mod throws a BUGINIT CANNOT FIND XML FILE FOR MOD INIT error, BETTER BUG AI as a mod does not pick up blue marble, and argh, I just want to play, but I am always keen on updating to new versions of things.

Stay tuned. Good things come to those who wait. :)

I'd like to apologize here for not using alerum's svn storage place.
I swear I tried, but the problems with it disheartened me from using it.
It seems that the sourceforge svn is excellent for code, but unusable (for me at least) when it comes to thousands and thousands of art files.

About testing it: if you find any problems please let me know.

The things I didn't have time to test:
- Cultural citystyles
- if changing eras causes problems with unit art (there are instances when there's a different model for the same unit for different era, although not that much)
- unit button problems

What I did test:
- all the civs' all units without era change

Well if you ran through the hassle of getting every model on screen, the seconds it takes to advance an era using the python console mod tools advanceEra command doesn't even factor it. It took 1/2 hour to generate all the models via the show units command on my computer (and that was only for like 15 civs), yet it took about 5 seconds to advance era, so I don't see how checking the era is even an issue. Unless of course you haven't loaded up the python console mod tools which again takes only all of 5 seconds to do, as all you do is drop a folder in the python folder. I pretty much created that mod for graphics mods like yours; and the core function, showUnits, is based on your own showMeAlltheUnitz mod comp. Python Console mod tools just adds some more functionality and ensures correct behavior with some basic checks, and doesn't tack into CvEventManager.

Regardless the Python Console mod tools should help Lemon Merchant check things. On her supercomputer the showUnits command probably will finish executing in a few seconds.

Well if you ran through the hassle of getting every model on screen, the seconds it takes to advance an era using the python console mod tools advanceEra command doesn't even factor it. It took 1/2 hour to generate all the models via the show units command on my computer (and that was only for like 15 civs), yet it took about 5 seconds to advance era, so I don't see how checking the era is even an issue. Unless of course you haven't loaded up the python console mod tools which again takes only all of 5 seconds to do, as all you do is drop a folder in the python folder. I pretty much created that mod for graphics mods like yours; and the core function, showUnits, is based on your own showMeAlltheUnitz mod comp. Python Console mod tools just adds some more functionality and ensures correct behavior with some basic checks, and doesn't tack into CvEventManager.

Regardless the Python Console mod tools should help Lemon Merchant check things. On her supercomputer the showUnits command probably will finish executing in a few seconds.

I admit I still did not use your tool and I have no excuse.

But, is it really 1/2 hour for 15 civs? I was doing with 5 civs a time, and it's wasn't a minute...?

My computer is old and slow, and I was using LoR, which has more units, but yes. It probably doesn't take nearly that long, and the unit propogation code is the same as your original code, the changes are logic checks to deal with rows and what not, that would not take any time, as they are simple arithmetic functions, and not code that deals with objects. I'm positive that it would take no longer then your original code, but since you can fit more civs on a map (alot more on huge maps), the function would take longer to run as you're talking about propagating 15 civs instead of 5 (I believe 15 civ unit blocks can fit on a huge map map).

Oh my. Your godlike powers have no end! :)

What a wonderful little mod you made! I spent a couple of hours after dinner going through all of the unit art in the new VD 9. (With my laptop. 5 minutes to load all of it. :() But I didn't find any obvious issues. :D

On to playtesting!

@ Avain:

Thank you very much for the new Varietas. It's simply gorgeous! I can't wait to have just a "for fun" game when my main computer gets unpacked! Oooh, la la!

If I find any errors, I'll be sure to PM you to let you know. Nice work! :goodjob:

Stay tuned. Good things come to those who wait. :)

LM it is up to you, but VD's Modern Era expansion is not exactly obsolete but it is no longer being maintained in VD, where the author is putting those efforts into the Quot Capita mod.

I'm not sure what your plans are, but were you going to try to make a future BAT version have the same option as VD has, modern era expansion?

I like that idea but not sure if it is worth the effort unless the modern stuff can be ported over to Bat from Quot Capita.

just picking your brain on this.

LM it is up to you, but VD's Modern Era expansion is not exactly obsolete but it is no longer being maintained in VD, where the author is putting those efforts into the Quot Capita mod.

I'm not sure what your plans are, but were you going to try to make a future BAT version have the same option as VD has, modern era expansion?

I like that idea but not sure if it is worth the effort unless the modern stuff can be ported over to Bat from Quot Capita.

just picking your brain on this.
The MEE for Varietas is still being supported by Avain. In fact, he has updated it for VD 9. For myself, I always play with the MEE added to BAT, because I enjoy it so much.

However, there is a problem with adding it to BAT on an official level. It breaks the "Unaltered Gameplay" philosophy of BUG, BAT, and BULL. These mods were designed to make the game better, without altering the way the game works, and as a minor member of the BUG team, I support that idea. Unless it's decided by EF and ruff_hi, BAT will never have an included mod that alters the basic play of the game. BAT itself is primarily cosmetic, and there are some improvements coming in a future version with that in mind. BTS purists can play the game they love with the graphical enhancements, and the added functions of BUG/BULL, and they can be confident that the game won't change. (But it will be more graphically enhanced.)

As I've been fiddling with getting the problems sorted out of the most recent BAT releases, I have found a way to incorporate a few of the game changing parts of Varietas into BAT. My own version is heavily modified, but I obviously can't release it. What I am going to do shortly, is to package the extras for Varietas, like the extra civs, the MEE, and the leaderhead pack, into a format that will work with BAT, and these will have a BAT installer. I'm currently converting them to work with the next version of BAT that will come out when EF gets the newest version of BUG completed. They will be released in the general modding forum as mod comps, and not here in the BUG forum, since they are separate from this project, and I don't want to have EF and ruff pestered about how they work, etc.

I am waiting for the extra packs to stabilize, in case there are new versions with the new Varietas, and I would like to get Avain's blessing of the mod packs prior to releasing them, in case he would like some items changed. It is his mod, after all.

I think that is a great idea LM. A mod mod of BAT to form MAT (Modified Artistic Theme - or what ever the 'A' and 'T' stand for in BAT. I might even play a game using BAT soon :D.

I have my own private Merge also (because I don't want to wait/impatient) but LM; Will you check this BAT 2.2a file please

Assets/XML/GameInfo/CIV4EraInfos

I think it may have VD MEE changes in it? I started to realize this when applying Fuyu's Better BUG AI.

I am also highly in favor of BAT Mod mods or modpacks. I have no problem with altering gameplay--I do it myself. I just want to ensure that BUG and BAT in their normal forms continue to be unaltered. I love to see BUG used in the base of so many popular mods that alter gameplay, and I think it'd be great to see it with BAT too.

Should the main BAT installer have an option to include the MEE? I don't have any immediate objections as long as it's optional. What about you, Ruff? Players? It seems it would merely make it easier for LM and players.

Top Bottom