Build your own religion

Borachio

Way past lunacy
People! Ever wondered about stuff? Ever felt that established religions are somehow not for you, yet still thought about the basic problems of life? Ever wondered how religions start? Well, now’s your chance to find out from the ground up.

Civ Land has spawned its own religion. Which will probably very quickly disappear. But hey what’s to lose?

This has arisen from the make fun of Christians thread which seems to have drifted a bit.

First what are we talking about:

Spoiler :
Religion is a collection of cultural systems, belief systems, and worldviews that establishes symbols that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values.

Religion(n) from Latin religi, religin-, perhaps from religre, to tie fast; see rely.
Perhaps to bind together?

What might be the rules of play?

Here are the suggested rules so far:

1. no-one is excluded;
2. all rules should be simple and easy to understand;
3. all action should promote the sum total of human happiness;
4. everyone is responsible for his or her own actions. No third party who operates behind the screens and is to be credited with positive outcomes, but remains blameless in case of negative ones;
5. Wittgenstein Proposition (7): Whereof we cannot speak, thereof we must remain silent;
6. No rule is more important than another and no rule is cast in stone , apart from rule 6?

What do you think? Yeah, waste of time, I know. This'll sink without trace.

Current optional vote: Rule 6 (after reading the thread and making up your mind, naturally)

3. all action should promote the sum total of human happiness;
Why are we assuming utilitarianism? Shouldn't we compare it to deontological, virtuist and non-utilitarian consequentialist alternatives, to see which offers a more satisfying account of the human good?

The story, thus far:

Our universe is made of material, acting and reacting on itself. We don't know if there is a why, or why we should bother ourselves too much asking. But here we are. Ground rules will be set for all players, to ensure the game runs as smoothly as you want it to be.

1. All admins are self appointed. If you feel you would do better as an admin, try.
2. You can't intentionally remove other players from the game. In return, they can't remove you.
3. You can't take objects from other individuals in the game. In return, they can't take objects from you.
4. You are highly encouraged, yet not required, to give your unneeded objects to other players in the game. In return, feel free to take anything offered to you.
5. You are highly encouraged ally with any one other player in the game, and pool your emotional and financial resources together. The limit is set at one, to ensure no one gains an advantage greater than 100% over another.
6. It is highly encouraged you come to terms with the lack of real meaning in your lives and create a subgame to get you through the metagame. Part of this process involves allowing others to create their own subgames. You don't have to play them.
7. You are highly encouraged to balance your life between work, sleep, and hobbies. Work does the community, and thus you, good. Sleep ensures a pleasant mood and health. Hobbies allow one to build their self-meaning into what they choose. Balance these however you see fit, and remember they're suggestions.
8. You are highly encouraged to own pets. Learning to love NPCs can bring great insight into dealings with other players.
9. No raids.
10. Remember, any of these rules that start with "You are highly encouraged" are not objective facts, but merely manifestations of the sum of current knowledge built upon ancient knowledge. If the more direct rules are disagreeable to you, find another server.

Nice, Mr Dictator!

I, too, think we need to distinguish between Rules and Recommendations.

Why are we assuming utilitarianism? Shouldn't we compare it to deontological, virtuist and non-utilitarian consequentialist alternatives, to see which offers a more satisfying account of the human good?

See rule 2.

edit: But see rule 6 also

Well, I'll be honest, "promote the sum total of human happiness" seems like a pretty complicated rule to me. What do even mean by happiness? An Aristotilean eudaimonia? An Epicurean tranquillity? A Neoplatonic closeness to God? A simple Benthamian pleasure? It is left entirely obscure. :dunno:

This is the first and last rule in my religion: Self-transcendence.

What do you mean? How do you go about it? Will it benefit mankind?
Well since I am an evolutionary being and not typal/non-evolutionary being like demon, demigod or angel then my expansion/progress is the progress of the rest of evolutionary world as well.

Well, I'll be honest, "promote the sum total of human happiness" seems like a pretty complicated rule to me. What do even mean by happiness? An Aristotilean eudaimonia? An Epicurean tranquillity? A Neoplatonic closeness to God? A simple Benthamian pleasure? It is left entirely obscure. :dunno:
Do you ever feel happy? Would you like to feel happier more often?

Do you ever feel happy? Would you like to feel happier more often?

“Happiness comes in small doses folks. It's a cigarette butt, or a chocolate chip cookie or a five second orgasm. You come, you smoke the butt you eat the cookie you go to sleep wake up and go back to %@#&ing work the next morning, THAT'S IT! End of %@#&ing list! ”
― Denis Leary

Well since I am an evolutionary being and not typal/non-evolutionary being like demon, demigod or angel then my expansion/progress is the progress of the rest of evolutionary world as well.
I've encountered this mythology before (if that's the right word). Where did you find it? Joseph Chilton Pearce has a book, the Biology of Transcendence.

“Happiness comes in small doses folks. It's a cigarette butt, or a chocolate chip cookie or a five second orgasm. You come, you smoke the butt you eat the cookie you go to sleep wake up and go back to %@#&ing work the next morning, THAT'S IT! End of %@#&ing list! ”
― Denis Leary
Definitely agree it comes in small doses. Certainly in adult life. And certainly to begin with.

If you/we/I look carefully we can find lots of little bits of it all over the place. There's nothing quite like throwing an apple from hand to hand, for a tinny little dose.

― Denis Leary

Five seconds? Why not an hour? Why not Eternity? (I am talking about happiness/bliss btw)
There is a saying (and way of reasoning): Its impossible? That means it can be done...

The human brain can only process happiness for short amounts of time. So yeah, eternal bliss is rather impossible.

1. Lieutenant Ellen Ripley is our one true lord and savior. She died on Fury 161 for our sins, and was resurrected with acid blood and other superpowers.
2. Optimus Prime is our other one true lord and savior. He has died for our sins at least 4 times, and has been resurrected each time, though usually without superpowers.
3. Robocop is our other, other one true lord and savior. He died, but not for our sins, and was resurrected as a cyborg, pre-programmed with the Threefold Path: "Protect the Innocent", "Serve the Public Trust", and "Uphold the Law".
4. After much meditation, and excellent adventure, and a bogus journey (during which they died and were resurrected), Bill and Ted achieved enlightenment, and handed to us the Twofold Path: "Be excellent to each other" and "party on, dudes".
5. Spock is our other, other, other one true lord and savior. He gave us the Onefold Path, "live long and prosper", before dying and being resurrected.

I've encountered this mythology before (if that's the right word). Where did you find it? Joseph Chilton Pearce has a book, the Biology of Transcendence.
I have been lately reading a lot from Aurobindo: http://www.sriaurobindoashram.org/works/index.php

When we have passed beyond knowings, then we shall have
Knowledge. Reason was the helper; Reason is the bar.
When we have passed beyond willings, thenwe shall have Power.
Effort was the helper; Effort is the bar.
When we have passed beyond enjoyings, then we shall have
Bliss. Desire was the helper; Desire is the bar.
When we have passed beyond individualising, then we shall be
real Persons. Ego was the helper; Ego is the bar.
When we have passed beyond humanity, then we shall be the
Man. The Animal was the helper; the Animal is the bar.
Transform reason into ordered intuition; let all thyself be light.
This is thy goal.
Transform effort into an easy and sovereign overflowing of the
soul-strength; let all thyself be conscious force. This is thy goal.
Transform enjoying into an even and objectless ecstasy; let all
thyself be bliss. This is thy goal.
Transform the divided individual into the world-personality; let
all thyself be the divine. This is thy goal.
Transform the Animal into the Driver of the herds; let all thyself
be Krishna. This is thy goal.

Top Bottom