Standard Pangaea map, everyone is playing as Venice

I think it would be cool, I was beginning to get rather bored with the repetitive VCs. How does this work? Do we each roll a map and post results, or do you upload a save game? Is it possible to add extra guys to the map, otherwise it would be a huge barbfest?

i'd like to try this out but i'd add raging barbarians

"My kingdom for a horse!!"

I think it would be cool, I was beginning to get rather bored with the repetitive VCs. How does this work? Do we each roll a map and post results, or do you upload a save game? Is it possible to add extra guys to the map, otherwise it would be a huge barbfest?

That's the whole point tbqh.

For consistency, I can provide a map. Raging Barbarians is a good idea. I'd put it on Immortal, ok?

With Raging barbs this could be a fun setup for a Heathen Conversion game, as long as a good pantheon is available. Futurism CV would be interesting as well. :)

I was thinking of Domination, since barbs will force you to build a decent military.
Heathen Conversion would be OP, although the Honor Opener is also tempting, maybe get a mix of Honor with Piety, and then into Commerce.

It would be interesting to see what names the other Venice guys get, I once started a duel map with the Huns vs Venice to see what city names Attila gets and they just got some random name from some other civ.

I'm in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am in. But I have a few questions that might impact setup configuration choices:
  1. Why Immortal and not Deity?
  2. Does Deity Venice get an extra MoV or worker since settler is not possible?
  3. Will the AI Veniceseses figure out they need to plant MoVs?
  4. Generally I think disabling VC confuses the AI, but maybe in this case disabling Diplo would make help the AIs be more competitive?
  5. Knowing ahead of time that there are no CS is huge advantage to the player. Why not all-Veniceseses with twice the number of CS? Would that be too easy for the player?

Good questions, beetle.

1. It won't matter either way. Venice AI is pathetic and will get his ass handed to him. Deity will just mean he has more money, so more for the human when we capture his cities.

2. Deity Venice gets an MoV at the start, yes.

3. After 100 turns, yes. I've seen the AI march an MoV around for several eras before planting.

4. The AI cannot win this game, so I hardly think it matters.

5. Not really. Deity Venice still usually waits to buy the CS, and does not think very much about which ones it does buy. Venice is pants.

My inference is that ST wants a fun and unusual DomV run, no?

My one request is that the map be edited so that there are no faith pantheons available to anyone. At least then there is SOME chance they won't all go full Piety and be even more pathetic, and the human players won't get completely OP things like Holy Warriors. Holy Warriors when all 7 AIs are going to build maybe 5 land units each in the first 150 turns seems crazy :D

Yeah, any ideas how to do that? Should I disable national wonders and make sure all pantheons are food/culture based? I don't know how to disable pantheons per se :p

and yeah, point is an unusual DomV with a metric ton of barbs around

I am in. But I have a few questions that might impact setup configuration choices:
  1. Why Immortal and not Deity?
  2. Does Deity Venice get an extra MoV or worker since settler is not possible?
  3. Will the AI Veniceseses figure out they need to plant MoVs?
  4. Generally I think disabling VC confuses the AI, but maybe in this case disabling Diplo would make help the AIs be more competitive?
  5. Knowing ahead of time that there are no CS is huge advantage to the player. Why not all-Veniceseses with twice the number of CS? Would that be too easy for the player?

1. I'll swap in Deity, alright.
2. Yes, they start with MoV
3. Iunno, they should
4. I can disable Diplo then
5. The whole point is that the barbs control most of the map since nobody can expand

hmm, mistake, can a mod merge these two posts

You could try a map like Boreal or Tilted Axis for an unhealthy amount of barbs. Boreal is like a tundra-based Great Plains but bigger, Tilted Axis has a very large snowy area in the north which is always infested with barbs. Arborea would limit the pantheon options for everyone since it's just a huge forest, but it can also be quite annoying to play for the same reason.

Use AI mod? I like Artificial Unintelligence. No changes to buildings, units, etc., but AI is to the order of magnitude better.

Map type: it should be good, not low on resources map. Low resource map is harder for AI.

Random personality?

I don't really like mods as it will cause some technical difficulties for some people who want to play it. Also, I have to TRIPLE CHECK the map packs will be disabled

To remove the pantheons, use IGE to change all the starting 3 rings to have a number of different resources, rather than more than one of each. OK this will mean some map knowledge for at least one person, but there's not gonna be a surprise as to who the civs are or where they're spawning, is there, so it doesn't really matter in this case. The only random and therefore surprise element is 'how will this play out?'. If you like, I can do the final edit. I've kinda mastered the art of editing without looking too closely.

This sounds like an awesome idea!! Raging Barbs is definitely a must, otherwise it might get boring with nobody to fight. No CSs is also a must. I am tempted to play on a large map also just so there are even more Barbs!

Quick question - which I don't think has been asked yet: Would you pick random personalities for Venice or make them all identical?

I think the AI will open Piety regardless of the dirt.

The whole point is that the barbs control most of the map since nobody can expand

I am not sure how I missed that!

Good idea. Keep throwing them in, I'll post a map today hopefully

Based on everything here so far, my suggestion would be Deity, Small Oval, 18 civs, raging barbs, all VC disabled except dom, random personalities.

Deity, Standard, Ring, 10-12 Civs, Raging, Random Personalities, Dom and Science only, would be my pick

If you disable all VCs except Dom, the AI cannot win.

Give the AI a chance to launch if the human is too slow in his sweep!

Top Bottom