Standard Pangaea map, everyone is playing as Venice

How about OCC for this? Or would that just make it too annoying?

Deity, Standard, Ring, 10-12 Civs, Raging, Random Personalities, Dom and Science only, would be my pick

That sounds good, but is it enough Veniceses? Normally swapping out CS for AI, the recommended ratio is 2:1. But since the AI are all Venice, we would want 1:1 at least. But I don't want this to be too much of a chore, so that is why I suggested a smaller map.

If you disable all VCs except Dom, the AI cannot win. Give the AI a chance to launch if the human is too slow in his sweep!

I would love to see AI Venice launch, so okay. But I think your previous post is correct, that Venice cannot win no matter the settings.

Crowding the map with Venices will only gimp the AI, the Human player can rush 2-3 neighbor Venices and run a tradition setup with internal food routes and outperform the AI Venices at everything. Keeping the map with a small amount of players will mean tougher domination, and having a hard time keeping the internal trade routes safe. OCC will make everything a lot more interesting.

That would make city states rare. When Ai is venice, it loves to buy many city states. Mass venice ai could equal rare city states.

To remove the pantheons, use IGE to change all the starting 3 rings to have a number of different resources, rather than more than one of each. OK this will mean some map knowledge for at least one person, but there's not gonna be a surprise as to who the civs are or where they're spawning, is there, so it doesn't really matter in this case. The only random and therefore surprise element is 'how will this play out?'. If you like, I can do the final edit. I've kinda mastered the art of editing without looking too closely.

Please do. I tried making a map in IGE and it bugged by generating an infinite number of Palaces in the BO.

Deity, Standard, Ring, 10-12 Civs, Raging, Random Personalities, Dom and Science only, would be my pick

If you disable all VCs except Dom, the AI cannot win.

Give the AI a chance to launch if the human is too slow in his sweep!

So I rolled a Standard, 8 Venices, Boreal. Random Personalities. Raging Barbarians. Diplomatic win disabled. I will disable Culture as well

Crowding the map with Venices will only gimp the AI, the Human player can rush 2-3 neighbor Venices and run a tradition setup with internal food routes and outperform the AI Venices at everything. Keeping the map with a small amount of players will mean tougher domination, and having a hard time keeping the internal trade routes safe. OCC will make everything a lot more interesting.

This also sounds good, OCC then everybody?

If nobody posts anything in the next hour, I'll post the map I rolled, which is not OCC

It seems that no one has considered the game-changing feature of OCC, which is insta-raze;

This makes Domination much quicker and easier. I implore you not to use it.

Because you don't get the happiness sink and you just keep going. The only downside is lack of upgradable land but if you start with cavs and arties, it's all the way

Here's the map. Map packs are off and the settings are:

8 Venices
0 city states
Boreal
Standard
Deity
Raging Barbarians
Random Personalities
Diplomatic win is turned off.

Bear in mind this is only a test run. It probably won't be really difficult but I'm guessing there will be so many barbs to make it at least interesting. With the "extra" map script, hopefully there won't be issues

Anyone playing, please post as many screenshots as you can be arsed

Attachments

• Enrico Dandolo_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    725.1 KB · Views: 29
I'm starting this now. I hope early war is possible in between killing barbs. I MIGHT do something daft like stick to melee units if a CB rush is not possible :D

Why don't play with only melee units... This could be a unique challenge

I'le try this using only melee units

Yeah, apart from a couple of Scarchers, which are not something I chose to have, I have built just Warriors and am ploughing through the Honor tree faster than you can say "Nipplehead Finds His Violent Streak". I'm really happy for the
Spoiler :
inland start
, and I've actually made DoF with the only 2 AIs I've found. I didn't see any point in scouting too far at the beginning.

T146 Quit

I had to build Archers to be able to deal effectively with the barbs, who I never really got control of. Thing is, if you get rid of the barbs, you'll kill your economy as they're your only source of gold and culture. I went Full Honor but took so long to reach the Medieval era that I had to take 2 in Tradition.

Education was T130 something. :(

If I delete the units, the barbs will conquer me, but unit upkeep is crippling. Even when selling all lux and horses, and building wealth, GPT is heavily negative, and I'm so far behind in tech and culture that this is really pointless, sadly.

I don't mind the difficulty of it so much as how boring it is to never really GET anything out of the barb killing. The promotion cap makes it all rather pointless. At no point could I have hassled the AI. They actually got the message and built walls and castles and troops and went barb hunting themselves.

My recommendation to make this more fun would be to have more Venices so that you could at least run Caravans (even though these risk being pillaged).

That, and/or a decent dirt map. This one was evil. :D

To T120
Spoiler :

I opened Honor but went full Tradition afterwards, finished it in the early T80s with Oracle. Monarchy solves the gold issues, and I also went Optics after Philo for the free GMoV... but so far this game is going nowhere. I don't think I can attack the AIs any time soon. Especially since I need to keep several units at home to kill barbs. I have a bunch of DoFs and I'll get at least 4 RAs going, so I guess I'll just play nice until I get artillery. Or maybe just quit...

I agree that the problem is that you get nothing from the barbs. Not sure how to make this work better, maybe switch to Immortal after all? Heathen Conversion becomes an option then, and going full Honor first won't hurt as much, since you're most likely going to end the game with crossbows.

So possible tweaks:

1. Increase the number of Venices. Is 12 alright or will the game freak out
2. Roll a less brutal map, how about Lakes or Great Plains?
3. Dial down to Immortal

Some notes, I rolled a different map some time ago, I posted scouts as beacons to light up parts of the map preventing the barbs. Also I think a pair of the AIs were close enough to have trade routes to

1. Let's try 12. We might need more, but it's 150% of what we had, so let's try it first.
2. Lakes > Great Plains. If the human is at the E end of Great Plains we'll have no production at all.
3. Deity was not the problem. If anything Immortal will make the game more boring, because the AI tech pace will be so slow that a rush will take them out. The difference is huge. I say stick to Deity for the time being. Just my 2 yuan.

I have not tried this map yet, but once you close out honor, do you not get gold for killing barbs?

I have not tried this map yet, but once you close out honor, do you not get gold for killing barbs?

yes but until you are killing barb musketmen or better im not sure it will keep pace with unit maintenance since Venice cant really make good on its extra trade routes here.You can only plant so many GS without crippling growth and production.

I'll have one later today :)

also, pretty sure Acken's Mod would yield similar results in this mad setup (I don't have it installed anyway)

Top Bottom