3 hexes radius of a city

IMACIVFAN

Chieftain
Hi,
I want to know how the resources belonging to the hexes that are outside the 3 hexes radius of a city contribute to the empire.

Only strategic an luxury resources can contribute. If you improve a strategic or luxury resource it will connect to your empire even if it outside the 3 hex radius of the closest city (but it has to be within the cultural borders). So if you improve something like horses you will increase the horses counter, etc. If you improve a luxury you don't already have you get an extra 4 happiness, if you have that luxury you now have an extra copy that you can trade with other civs.

The resource can be acquired by cultural border but it can never be worked by your citizen.

Yes, you need to hook them up with workers or a Great Person improvement. (basically a citadel, because that's the only one that makes sense)

Just strategic resources get connected, luxuries don't. But the citadel will not add any yields (except for korea)

And even for Korea the added yield means nothing if the citadel is created outside the 3-tile working range of a city.

Wait... If you put a citadel on a resource it gets improved?

Any great person tile improvement. Though still with the caveat that it will not connect luxury resources. The idea being that you could plant one of these improvements and later learn there's resources there. Not a big deal if you already have a mine or a farm there. But a GP tile improvement would mean you lose it. So they just give you the resources.

And because luxuries are visible from turn 0, there is no corresponding game-play need to have GP tile improvements also connect luxuries.

I think dig sites can appear under GP improvements, and you can't see them until archaeology.

I think dig sites can appear under GP improvements, and you can't see them until archaeology.

I don't think so. Only because once before, I had finished Archaeology, then had to reload the autosave for that turn. It produced different sites. I think that's something that is determined on the turn somebody first completes Archaeology.

I could be wrong though. That's my interpretation of that one occurrence.

The only way you can put a GP improvement on a dig site is if you plant the GP after someone has Archaeology (and of course you don't). When the first civ discovers Archaeology the dig sites are revealed, but the algorithm will not let any dig sites under existing GP improvements. They are mostly random, but they seem to be where some battles took place in ancient times, or where cities were razed, or where a barb camp was, etc.

That's good to know that my academies won't cover up a dig site, since all of them are planted way before industrial, so before archaeology.

Top Bottom