domination question: puppet vs annex

Okay, the word strategic was used a few times. So let me share a pic from my "tutorial game" and tell me if this qualifies:
Spoiler :
I got Umgungundlovu in a peace deal. I later conquered Ulundi. Once Ulundi was mine, would you have razed Umgungundlovu? The only thing it really provides is Iron and Sugar (not my only source of either). Or would you keep it to prevent others from settling there later, fragmenting my empire and its road system?

I later took Mecca and made the mistake of annexing it. Even though I use EUI, it wasn't until AFTER I annexed it that I realized it was actually working a couple of desert Incense tiles, and therefore would've been much better as a puppet.

I'd keep it, mostly for the iron and sugar, but it also prevents Ethiopia from plopping a city right in the middle of your empire and cutting off your roads. It will make a great puppet.

And I would help that CS capture Nobamba rather than take it myself.

I don't see what the mistake was in annexing Mecca.

Okay, the word strategic was used a few times. So let me share a pic from my "tutorial game" and tell me if this qualifies:
Spoiler :
I got Umgungundlovu in a peace deal. I later conquered Ulundi. Once Ulundi was mine, would you have razed Umgungundlovu? The only thing it really provides is Iron and Sugar (not my only source of either). Or would you keep it to prevent others from settling there later, fragmenting my empire and its road system?

I later took Mecca and made the mistake of annexing it. Even though I use EUI, it wasn't until AFTER I annexed it that I realized it was actually working a couple of desert Incense tiles, and therefore would've been much better as a puppet.

I would have kept it for the minimum of 4 Iron it has,Happiness isnt an issue for you atm either.Its a nice staging point to invade Arabia.

annexing mecca cant really be a big mistake either.

You wouldnt have been able to raise it after taking Zulu cap anyways.

When i go to war i keep most cities. Sometimes i will puppet a city just to have my foot set on a certain location, later when im ready to proceed with my conquest i`d annex it so i can use it for unit building closer to my enemy. I usually go for wide empire and rarely find myself burning a city down... mostly out of concern some AI will travel 23453245254245 light years away from his empire just to set a ghetto next to my border and start spamming missionaries to run around

I can't remember the last time I didn't burn a city when given the option to do so. This is because I play on slower speeds, which means XP is more powerful than upgrading or waiting for policies or tenets. I generally puppet capitals, as I need the money for units and waiting for courthouses slows down conquest.

I personally annex everything eventually.

I like controlling a massive empire, after all. Mostly for the grandeur.

My experience is that if you dont annex city - it gives fairly nothing. (Some science which is eaten by penalty, may be some faith and gold which are eaten by unhappiness and city maintenance)

So probably you should raze everything that you are not going to annex one day, so you puppet only:
-capitals. nearly all capitals worth to annex one day, but still not all.
-'strategic location' cities.

And last note: you may consider razing city and placing your own on that spot. (not to waste hammers for courthouse, on tradition - to get free buildings if you didnt receive all yet)

There's a special case, nobody has mentioned yet. If you took Order's Iron Curtain, you get a free courthouse, but only if you annex/raze, not puppet. So in that case, you will never puppet any cities. I find that Order has enough happiness policy that annex is pretty much automatic, since most cities reach happiness cap anyway.

Early game with Liberty I puppet until I can raze and resettle in same spot or nearby. A captured low pop city with no infrastructure doesn't help much as a puppet and as an annex it needs a courthouse that costs 3 per turn. Razing before you have a settler standing by just invites other AI to rush in their own settler.

Conquering and immediately selling it to another civ is nice when you'd lose the city on the counter attack but don't want to stop the war with a quick peace deal.

Top Bottom