Main Download Information

I realize that the newer versions are much more stable and have far far FAR less bugs (Sans for a few, like Signs and etc), and have better features like Graphics Paging and so much more - I'm just saying that I disapprove of fully getting rid of older versions of things. Making it clearer that they're not supported anymore and are not recommended is one thing, nuking them off the internet so no one can see them again is another. They are still available there tho? It's just the Main Download Thread(s) that are being changed?

Pointing them towards the SVN or your Installer should be enough though right? Both of 'em grab the latest versions either way, but if they don't want to bother with either then I guess the Main Installer is the only other option - and in that case... Well yeah. Might as well make it clear the versions aren't supported anymore.

*edit again* As for the people still downloading the old versions... Maybe they're just curious? I still play older games like HoMM1 even though 2/3/4/5 are much better in literally every way, and still want an older version of C2C to play. Honestly, I don't care about all the new changes or even the bugfixes they have made - the mod is unplayable to me because of Lead From Behind making a total mess of combat. I'd GIVE a lot to have that obsolete unsupported version, because it was the last version that I could play past the Classic Era. The supported and up to date versions aren't. Well, yeah I do care about the bugfixes and stuff - but they're not much use for me when I can't even enjoy the mod itself so...

Just saying, not everyone who downloads those older versions are doing so because they think it's the latest and most stable version. Some probably are, but not all of them.

You do realize that many of the AND and C2C older versions are still part of the whole SVN for those respective mods. Any version can be Exported for use. If you want AND v630 it was still there not long ago. If you wanted C2C v30 that was SVN 5381, etc.. (And Lead from Behind iirc is a hidden option that can be still turned off. It's never bothered my play so I don't know what is wrong with it.)

It's deleting links to RoM that is most damaging as Afforess had many of those early versions still available. I had posted the link a few years ago but don't know if it's stil active.

JosEPh

You do realize that many of the AND and C2C older versions are still part of the whole SVN for those respective mods. Any version can be Exported for use. If you want AND v630 it was still there not long ago. If you wanted C2C v30 that was SVN 5381, etc.. (And Lead from Behind iirc is a hidden option that can be still turned off. It's never bothered my play so I don't know what is wrong with it.)

It's deleting links to RoM that is most damaging as Afforess had many of those early versions still available. I had posted the link a few years ago but don't know if it's stil active.

JosEPh

AFAIK, no link has been deleted anyway. And previous available AND and ROM versions are stored on sourceforge as dbkblk pointed out.

I realize that the newer versions are much more stable and have far far FAR less bugs (Sans for a few, like Signs and etc), and have better features like Graphics Paging and so much more - I'm just saying that I disapprove of fully getting rid of older versions of things. Making it clearer that they're not supported anymore and are not recommended is one thing, nuking them off the internet so no one can see them again is another. They are still available there tho? It's just the Main Download Thread(s) that are being changed?

Pointing them towards the SVN or your Installer should be enough though right? Both of 'em grab the latest versions either way, but if they don't want to bother with either then I guess the Main Installer is the only other option - and in that case... Well yeah. Might as well make it clear the versions aren't supported anymore.

*edit again* As for the people still downloading the old versions... Maybe they're just curious? I still play older games like HoMM1 even though 2/3/4/5 are much better in literally every way, and still want an older version of C2C to play. Honestly, I don't care about all the new changes or even the bugfixes they have made - the mod is unplayable to me because of Lead From Behind making a total mess of combat. I'd GIVE a lot to have that obsolete unsupported version, because it was the last version that I could play past the Classic Era. The supported and up to date versions aren't. Well, yeah I do care about the bugfixes and stuff - but they're not much use for me when I can't even enjoy the mod itself so...

Just saying, not everyone who downloads those older versions are doing so because they think it's the latest and most stable version. Some probably are, but not all of them.

Joseph already mentioned the SVN and how history is never lost, but I just want to reiterate to drive it home. I never, ever, break download links or remove old files. If you look at the old modmod discussion, before RAND existed, every download link will still work. Every archive is still available. Deleting history is anathema, and we use a source control for the very purpose of preventing history from being lost.

Playing older releases is very possible. It is fairly straightforward to check out from subversion.

Finally, the reason we update the main download links with simpler tools and the latest code base is because that's what we support. If someone wants to play an old release, that is great too. In fact, if they need help getting an old release they should ask, because I understand newer is not always better and sometimes the older versions were more fun.

Every time I use the full installer do I have to use the uninstall option or just delete the "Rise of Mankind-A New dawn" folder in "Mods" folder?
Last time I used the "uninstall" option then installed the full installer_rev901 and experienced some errors during installation which I ignored and the game runs OK.

As you don't seem to have internet on the PC you play on, you're doing a full reinstall each time. It is recommended that you uninstall the mod before reinstalling.

Hopefully, the offline patcher is the next thing on my tasklist :)

For nostalgic players like Joseph, i've published the RoM 2.81 and 2.92 that were missing in our server.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96139352/Rise of Mankind 1.03.rar

And for Really Nostalgic players this will take you all the way back to Rise of Mankind 1.03. It has 2 buildings added to it Jungle Camps (Vincentz original version) and Butchery.

Sine RoM1.03 does Not have a .dll file it will play on Any computer that will play vanilla BtS.

JosEPh :)

I try to manually update some revisions so I'm asking where exactly should I place the files that I download from the folder: "/Trunk/Translations/lang/..." in the commits.
For example: where should I place "/Trunk/Translations/latin1 languages.txt" from rev919?

This folder isn't needed to play. Just use the folder "Rise of mankind...". The other folders are for development.

So, I can create a new a folder e.g. "Translations" in the "Rise of Mankind..." folder and place the files there?

No. What is your goal ? Do you want to test translations before an update ?

Consider the Trunk folder as the Mods/ folder for Civ. You don't need any of the folders except "Rise of Mankind - ...". In SVN, the folders Translations are besides "Rise of Mankind -" and should stay here. They have no usefulness to play the game.

Consider the Trunk folder as the Mods/ folder for Civ. You don't need any of the folders except "Rise of Mankind - ...". In SVN, the folders Translations are besides "Rise of Mankind -" and should stay here. They have no usefulness to play the game.

Thanks,you made it clear.;)

@team: For the next monthly build, I would like to also publish a torrent file. This would be nice to include a HTTP seed as a source. Do you think I can include a sourceforge direct link as a source? Is it allowed?
EDIT: The moddb direct links should be okay, as it is not blocked in China.

I have a very fast seedbox I can use to seed a torrent. However I did use a torrent at one point and many users can't download torrents due to ISP restrictions.

The torrent should be published but there would always be Moddb or Sourceforge. Is your seedbox limited in upload bandwith?

The torrent should be published but there would always be Moddb or Sourceforge. Is your seedbox limited in upload bandwith?

No, unlimited. It has a 200/200mb connection, located in France.

If you do go with a torrent, make sure to msg me first and have me seed before the initial release.

I would appreciate some help troubleshooting.

I've gone through three installations on two different computers now, with no luck so far. All have been carried out using CivIV Complete, via Gamer's Gate, on Win7 64-bit systems. Civ4 is installed in c:\games\civ4\ rather than program files, and it runs just fine on its own.

Standard installation:

I download and run the installer with no apparent problems. I go with the default path, which is in the user directory. Installs without hiccups.

Run the launcher. Get a prompt that it can't find the BTS .exe, and I manually map it. It won't launch, either before or after update. First installation, nothing happens after launch. Second installation, there's a crash prompt "(BTS) has stopped working"

SVN installation:

Installed Tortoise SVN.
Setup working copy, repository, checked out SVN.
Exported files
Copied the "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn" folder to the BTS mod folder
Fired up Civ4, load a mod, RoM-AND
Same "stopped working" message

These are on fresh, working installs of Civ4 with no mods.

Top Bottom