Spanish Civil War ToT Mod

I also very much look forward to trying this!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm very pleased with how this has turned out. ToTPP has made a huge difference. I love the fact that cities can now change hands without being reduced to rubble! Makes a huge difference, as do the railroads and more than anything the extra events space. Its so nice to just be able to add events where required without having to worry about exceeding the memory limit!

Just putting the finishing touches to the scenario this weekend. Added descriptions for all units (mostly copy/paste from Wikipedia!), and made the read me webpage which is duplicated in the Game Concepts section of the in game Civilopedia for easy reference. Added a few more events, such as Nationalists capturing T-26 tanks for their own use and some other bits and pieces to make it more interesting. I just need to finalise the objectives and I should be ready to release the files on Monday.

So here it finally is, Pablostuka's Spanish Civil War reborn in Test of Time (Patch Project) form.

DOWNLOAD v1.0

Although the scenario is ready I won't build a page on the Wiki until I have established that everything is OK with version 1.0. I'm pretty pushed for time today but wanted to stick to my deadline (probably for the first time ever!). One minor annoyance I need to resolve is the time it takes the scenario to load up. I have removed the @DEBUG line from the events.txt and put the save through DELEVENT before saving as scenario. I then put the .scn file through DELEVENT several times but it is still taking an eternity to load. If anyone knows how to resolve this I will re-upload a fixed file.

Be sure to check out the Read Me.htm. You can also find scenario information in game under Game Concepts. I hope you enjoy playing :D

I certainly look forward to it being posted with baited breath.

LOL! I must have of missed it...

These rough nights....

Curt,

1) I was wondering about the random gaps in sentences and words. How do I eliminate this? I just figured it was a glitch with ToT.

2) There is a bit of reading to do, but I hope it is worth is as the game gets going. The main points are to keep your science rate high, get your reinforcements to mainland Spain legally and safely and do no exploit the Merchant Ships for other uses than those specified in house rules.

3) The initial rebellion is a bit of an onslaught. I'm glad I added it as it tells the story of the war better than starting from after the initial fighting is over, though the map on the players second turn will look roughly the same as in Pablo's original. After the initial July 1936 Nationalist turn the AI rounds get quicker and I managed to get into a good rhythm with the turns. It helps that you don't really need to micromanage cities and production, just focus on supplying and directing your army.

Have fun! Hope you enjoy it.

Might be a bit of a job to re-write the events at this stage, but...:)

Setting the text like this example will force the sentences to begin where you want...

TEXT
^
^^ Bloemfontein falls to a British attack!
^
^^ The outraged Boers purchase shipments of Mauser rifles
^^ from Germany and rise up against the British Takover!
^
ENDTEXT

And as for the huge battle, that is the way we like it - !
Enjoying the taste of vengeance!

I'm not massively fussed about the few odd gaps as you can still read the text, it just looks like I have put the spaces in by mistake. I will put this on the list of things to do for v1.1 if there is enough fixes needed to warrant that.

I thought the events text would just word wrap large paragraphs to fit into the text box.
It does. You don't need to add circumflexes (single: new paragraph, double: centre text) to eliminate those gaps in the text. I think the game automatically adds a space when it concatenates strings. The game stores Text action text in strings with a 255-character limit. If your events text exceeds this number, it stores any spillover text in the next string (to a maximum of 10). To force the spaces where you want them, simply start a new line (hard return) before you hit the 255 character mark. That will force the start of the next string.

Using the text from one of your earlier posts as an example:
Code:
Text
I was wondering about the random gaps in sentences and words. How do I eliminate this? I just figured it was a glitch with ToT. There is a bit of reading to do, but I hope it is worth is as the game gets going. The main points are to keep your science
rate high, get your reinforcements to mainland Spain legally and safely and do no exploit the Merchant Ships for other uses than those specified in house rules. The initial rebellion is a bit of an onslaught. I'm glad I added it as it tells the story of
the war better than starting from after the initial fighting is over, though the map on the players second turn will look roughly the same as in Pablo's original. After the initial July 1936 Nationalist turn the AI rounds get quicker and I managed to get
into a good rhythm with the turns. It helps that you don't really need to micromanage cities and production, just focus on supplying and directing your army.
EndText

Note no space at the end of each line. If you use a better text editor, like Notepad++, for instance, it'll indicate the column number as you type, so you won't have to count the numbers of characters.

Great. Thanks Catfish. I should really have tracked down something like Notepad++ sooner. It has some very useful time-saving that are not present in the standard notepad, like the line and column numbers you mention, as well as find & replace which will save me time (for instance when I renamed the SB-2 Katiuska to Tupolev SB-2). I will go through the events and space them out to make tidier text. :thumbsup:

It has some very useful time-saving that are not present in the standard notepad, like the line and column numbers you mention, as well as find & replace which will save me time (for instance when I renamed the SB-2 Katiuska to Tupolev SB-2).
Microsoft's Notepad has a basic Find/Replace function. Find/Replace in multiple open documents is very handy; useful for my Civ2 website, as it's created entirely with a text editor.

I find that syntax highlighting also improves the readability of the events file:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• SyntaxHighlighting.png
    SyntaxHighlighting.png
    29 KB · Views: 249
Top Bottom