Anyone else suffering from Severe performance issues?

dashwinner

Prince
So I've been playing CiV since it came out, and by now I knew the limitations of my laptop. For example, I could never play 'Into the renaissance' because it would always start to freeze by turn 100. However, in the past, a continents map at anything below large map size was fine, even into the late game. Turn times took a while (10-15 seconds) but that was about it. I finally got my hands on BNW and fired up a continents map, normal (1 below large) size. While the first 100 or so turns were fine, I am about at turn 200 now, and the game has completely slowed down. Whether its turn times, unit animation or even scrolling the mouse, the game seems to be taking 5x longer to do anything. I got my computer completely cleaned as well as a new fan in anticipation for BNW, and yet the expansion seems to play slower than any of the hundreds of civ rounds I had played previously.

I just want to know if anyone else is experiencing something similar, and if you have any advice on how to speed things up. I tried both the DirectX9 and 10 options, to no avail. I know I can play in strategic view, as well as tone all the graphics way down, but I don't see why this has suddenly become an issue when the game ran fine with the same settings for the last 3 years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The game seems to run a bit faster when I play on DirectX10, yet it freezes every 4-5 turns

What kind of hardware do you have in your laptop? If you couldnt make it to turn 100 before you really arent going to get anywhere now with even more new stuff added. Do yourself a favor and invest in a quality desktop gaming build. I personally have 0 issues playing games all the way to completion, i do notice turns take longer but its like 2 seconds and honestly i think the game needs this time to calculate trade route movement/profits. I dont have that fancy of a graphics card either, Nvidia 9800 GT i paid 45 bucks for on sale at tiger direct. Original phenom quad core processor and 8 GB of Ram on windows 7.

The game runs much better now. Never encountered a ctd yet.

What kind of hardware do you have in your laptop? If you couldnt make it to turn 100 before you really arent going to get anywhere now with even more new stuff added. Do yourself a favor and invest in a quality desktop gaming build. I personally have 0 issues playing games all the way to completion, i do notice turns take longer but its like 2 seconds and honestly i think the game needs this time to calculate trade route movement/profits. I dont have that fancy of a graphics card either, Nvidia 9800 GT i paid 45 bucks for on sale at tiger direct. Original phenom quad core processor and 8 GB of Ram on windows 7.

Right, I understand what you're saying, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. The game ran fine for me for 3 years without any issues. Now with BNW it freezes. Yes eventually I'd like to invest in a new rig, but that won't be for a good 4-6 months. I figured since it used to work fine before (as long as I avoided large or huge maps), I'm trying to figure out why now all of a sudden it's freezing on me every 5 turns, and if there are any preferred optimization so I can at least play the game until I get my new rig.

I've got an 4 gigs of RAM, M520@2.40GHZ and an intel core i5 CPU.

So I've been playing CiV since it came out, and by now I knew the limitations of my laptop. For example, I could never play 'Into the renaissance' because it would always start to freeze by turn 100. However, in the past, a continents map at anything below large map size was fine, even into the late game. Turn times took a while (10-15 seconds) but that was about it. I finally got my hands on BNW and fired up a continents map, normal (1 below large) size. While the first 100 or so turns were fine, I am about at turn 200 now, and the game has completely slowed down. Whether its turn times, unit animation or even scrolling the mouse, the game seems to be taking 5x longer to do anything. I got my computer completely cleaned as well as a new fan in anticipation for BNW, and yet the expansion seems to play slower than any of the hundreds of civ rounds I had played previously.

I just want to know if anyone else is experiencing something similar, and if you have any advice on how to speed things up. I tried both the DirectX9 and 10 options, to no avail. I know I can play in strategic view, as well as tone all the graphics way down, but I don't see why this has suddenly become an issue when the game ran fine with the same settings for the last 3 years.

Yup, same deal almost exactly. I have also been playing since the very first version.

I have a decent laptop I use for development. It flies, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i7 2640M processor (faster than a similar quad-core, actually, no idea why), and a GEForce GT 520 M with 1 GB DDR3 RAM.

G&K was OKish, but for anything large, AI turns started taking ages, so I stuck to standard.

With this update, directx 10/11 fails, so I am forced to use DX9. everything is much slower. I was getting very annoyed. I decided to turn off all graphics options (except 'low' for the FoW, or it looks pants), and the speed went back up, and the freezes stopped altogether. I would try that.

as it happens, I have to get another laptop (my excuse: I have a new developer starting, so he gets my old one, I get a new one :lol:). The only one I could get under my price limit with 16GB of RAM and a 512 GB SSD was an Alienware M14x, so I'm getting that :goodjob:. It's less painful when it's tax deductible!

Sorry OP when you said you couldnt play into the renaissance i thought you met a normal game would never get that far not the scenario. I wondered why someone would tolerate only playing the first 100 turns over and over again! Maybe an obvious question but have either of you run dxdiag? Your laptops both sound like they should be able to run this no problems.

I'm now on my 3rd PC since CiV came out and can only conclude CiV is s l o w and buggy.

I have a decent laptop I use for development. It flies, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i7 2640M processor (faster than a similar quad-core, actually, no idea why), and a GEForce GT 520 M with 1 GB DDR3 RAM.

G&K was OKish, but for anything large, AI turns started taking ages, so I stuck to standard.

With this update, directx 10/11 fails, so I am forced to use DX9. everything is much slower. I was getting very annoyed. I decided to turn off all graphics options (except 'low' for the FoW, or it looks pants), and the speed went back up, and the freezes stopped altogether. I would try that.

My laptop is slower than yours, but so far my experience with G&K and BNW has been ok (though I will keep my map to standard, only a few times tried large map). The turns are outrageously-long only beyond turn 300 or when several civs and their CS allies were participating in a large-scale "World War". However, my laptop always turns really hot, even as soon as the game launched (first turns).

Some suggestions that may assist you.

1. Increase the Civ process' priority from normal to ABOVE NORMAL. Don't set it to HIGH as this can sometimes be counterproductive. NOTE : This needs to be done through task manager each time you start Civ and will help with performance issues due to a PROCESSOR bottleneck.
2. Run in DX9 mode, if you are not already doing so.
3. Use NVidia Control Panel, Catlyst or the Intel equivalent (depending on your card) to enable high performance mode, and turn on any and all performance options.
4. Adjust your ingame graphic settings.
5. Disable real time scanning, enable Game Mode, or shut down your virus scanner altogether while playing. As this does make your computer vulnerable I would disconnect from the internet before doing so or adjust your firewall to block pretty much everything to compensate. This step comes with risks, you do it at your own risk. Just remember to re-enable when your done.
6. Temporarily disable any other background process that may be CPU or memory hogs.

FYI As the AI has been heavily tweaked and many new mechanics added, game turns are going to require more processing. The only way this would not be true is if they were taking away as much stuff as what they added. So yes it will be more processor intensive.

Hope that helps.

This version runs much better for me. I play Huge Maps only, and they really did a great job on tweaking imho. The only issue is on starting back into a save game. I have to scroll over every thing to get textures to load. After that smooth sailing.

I had some slow down when I did 22 civs and 41 CS, but that was expected and really not bad at all.

Top Bottom