Civ2 MGE works with Win10 (Tech Preview)

RecurCivity

Chieftain
I spent a little time setting up a dual boot on my laptop so I could test Windows 10 64-bit in its technical preview. One of the first things I did was try out Civ2. Other than the videos, it actually plays more smoothly than on the Win 7 installation on the same laptop.

Unfortunately, even though I installed the Indeo codecs as well as the K-lite codec pack and can now view the movies using Classic Media Player, for some reason, they wouldn't run in the game. It was very late at night, so I may have missed some tweak -- also, I didn't have to do anything to my current Civ2 installation (which is patched for play on Win 7), just navigate to it on its partition. (I had installed it on a partition separate from my OS to begin with, though it wouldn't matter, I should think, if it had been installed on my Win 7 OS partition.)

Anyway, Win 10 should run Civ2 MGE (and probably ToT, though I didn't check that one) just fine with MastermindX's 64-bit patch, though perhaps the videos may not work. I'll fiddle with the game a bit more and report back if I figure out a fix for the vids. I can do without the openings and the High Council, but I do like my victory video at the end! (Also, since Win 10 is in its Technical Preview phase and undergoing changes, that may account for the buggy video in some way. I doubt, though, that the finished Win10 will have any problem with the basic gameplay, which works now.) I may reinstall Civ2 from

For anyone who wonders, Win 10 looks like it will be a pretty big improvement over Win 8 -- kinda Win 8 as it should have been. I'm thinking about installing it on my Win 8.1 tablet to see how it does on a touch device, but it works very well on a laptop, even one with low-ish specs. Some of the user interface is a bit blah -- like in the IE version included with the Tech Preview, but since I don't normally use IE, it may just be me not being used to IE.

Edit: I registered the codec at a command prompt, and now the videos work. So Civ2 will still be playable for a long time to come -- thanks to MastermindX!

I spent a little time setting up a dual boot on my laptop so I could test Windows 10 64-bit in its technical preview. One of the first things I did was try out Civ2. Other than the videos, it actually plays more smoothly than on the Win 7 installation on the same laptop.

Unfortunately, even though I installed the Indeo codecs as well as the K-lite codec pack and can now view the movies using Classic Media Player, for some reason, they wouldn't run in the game. It was very late at night, so I may have missed some tweak -- also, I didn't have to do anything to my current Civ2 installation (which is patched for play on Win 7), just navigate to it on its partition. (I had installed it on a partition separate from my OS to begin with, though it wouldn't matter, I should think, if it had been installed on my Win 7 OS partition.)

Anyway, Win 10 should run Civ2 MGE (and probably ToT, though I didn't check that one) just fine with MastermindX's 64-bit patch, though perhaps the videos may not work. I'll fiddle with the game a bit more and report back if I figure out a fix for the vids. I can do without the openings and the High Council, but I do like my victory video at the end! (Also, since Win 10 is in its Technical Preview phase and undergoing changes, that may account for the buggy video in some way. I doubt, though, that the finished Win10 will have any problem with the basic gameplay, which works now.) I may reinstall Civ2 from

For anyone who wonders, Win 10 looks like it will be a pretty big improvement over Win 8 -- kinda Win 8 as it should have been. I'm thinking about installing it on my Win 8.1 tablet to see how it does on a touch device, but it works very well on a laptop, even one with low-ish specs. Some of the user interface is a bit blah -- like in the IE version included with the Tech Preview, but since I don't normally use IE, it may just be me not being used to IE.

Edit: I registered the codec at a command prompt, and now the videos work. So Civ2 will still be playable for a long time to come -- thanks to MastermindX!
Does this work on the codecs work on the latest version of Windows 10? The only reason why I am wondering is because when it comes to older drivers it makes me somewhat sketchy.

Top Bottom