Ruined my ICONS.GIF

mpescatori

Chieftain
Hi all.

It's not my first attempt at creating new icons for new units, but this time I got something wrong, worked on the "working" "units.gif" instead of a backup and now my starting settler is transparent/invisible.

I checked and doublechecked the one icon I worked on, and the borders of said icon etc., but everything seems OK.

However, on startup I get the following message:

Error: ERR_BADPICFORMAT

File: ..\SOURCE\SMEDS\PORT.CPP
Line: 533
Stack trace:
blahblah of hexadecimals, then

Memory Info:
Total linear space: 524256
Free linear space: 501554
Total pages: 524287
Free pages: 300826

I tried playing a few turns, in order to see if the problem would "fix itself" within a few turns, but NO.

I even popped a hut and found Horsemen, they too are invisible.
They are even invisible on the R/H task bar !

Help !!! (unfortunately, although I still DO have my original CD, I can't find it.)

Could anyone tell me where I can find a vanilla file ?

Thanks...:cry:

OK, so I found my CD, my son had "borrowed it" to install it on his Mac.

There is no Mac version but you know teenagers, when there's a way...
...and when there isn't, they'll make one !

Anyway, I installed the original "units.gif" and Tomorrow I will start "rebuilding" my dedicated units.

Thanks to those 75 who read my post but decided NOT to help.

:rolleyes:

Your welcome, but now that we get a better perspective, perhaps one should have a back up file on hand before they start changing said file?

Thanks to those 75 who read my post but decided NOT to help.

:rolleyes:
Probably not even close. I suspect a large proportion of those are crawler bots. Next time, you can prevent the problem by saving the GIF in the correct format: non-interlaced, version 87a with the Civ2 palette. Don't use Windows Paint. If you've got FW or MGE, you also have the option to save it as an 8-bit BMP instead. Maybe next time I'll click on the thread and run away.

I think win xp paint was fine, vista and 7 introduced some new mutation that doesn't preserve the color palette and perhaps screws up something else too. Luckily there's GIMP.

I think win xp paint was fine, vista and 7 introduced some new mutation that doesn't preserve the color palette and perhaps screws up something else too. Luckily there's GIMP.

This. Ever since I switched from XP to Win7 it has been a nightmare to edit images. Saving in .gif format would dither image quality and civ2 MGE won't accept any other format. I used InfaView program to save .gif quality, but got all kinds of errors or distorted civ2 graphics in general. Attempt to convert from .bmp to .gif using online converter again failed. I even integrated MS Paint from XP to Win7 and saved .gif from there, yet still units came out as black and grey squares. It definitely has something to do with Win7 x64 bit.

Top Bottom