Kazakhstan Diplomacy

Updated earlier post with a rough outline at the end.

I like the suggested messae and some parts in the additions. I like the idea of suggesting not trading with Cav and MS and also minor warning concerning power of the Cavs. However we still have non-agression pact with Cavs so I would be very cautious not to say anything that would be considered "agressive" against Cavs since it is quite probable they will see our message.

Yeah, fair points. I wasn't really happy with how I wrote the anti-Cav bits anyway, I did them in quite a rush. We can always mention those points later on I guess, once we receive their reply to this message (assuming we get a reply). The main body of the message is what we want to send them ASAP, anyway. :)

Updated the message on the previous page. Thoughts?

I'm alright with this except the p.s. part. "Might" works badly here. It seems to them that we're not going to accept. Better left that part totally out, if we can't say we deliver, if you do what we want.

Okay, removed the P.S. entirely from the message. We can let them know conditions under which we'll send Feudalism later, if they ask.

Look okay now?

I dont think we should trade them feudalism at all. Maybe if we renegotiate all the trade, then maybe we could trade it :p

Sent message to Kaz (and sent copy to SANCTA).

Heh... nice.

A very random chat with Sommersword, asking for an alliance with us. I've talked to this guy once or twice before, and he's always after an alliance, no matter what the in-game situation. :crazyeye:

Anyway, I suggested that Kaz first give us all their tech, and that then we might think about it. :lol:

Spoiler :
Sommerswerd says:
Lord P?
John - Lord Parkin - emp says:
yep
Sommerswerd says:
I sent you a PM on MTDG Civ 4
Sommerswerd says:
do you know what I am talking about at all?
just got the PM now
Sommerswerd says:
Oh never mind you know (I just recognized your avatar
Sommerswerd says:
Mars?
yep... what did you want to talk about?
yes, it is
Sommerswerd says:
Or some trekkie planet?
Sommerswerd says:
OK right down to business...
Sommerswerd says:
I want Saturn to ally with Kazakhs
Sommerswerd says:
can we work on that possibility?
erm... I don't see how or why that would happen at this point... you already seem to have 2 other allies?
if you brought us up to par on tech, I guess we could think about something
Sommerswerd says:
That is actually what I had in mind
Sommerswerd says:
If you would reciprocate?
Sommerswerd says:

if you brought us up to par in tech, I think we'd certainly send Feudalism
Sommerswerd says:
What about an alliance?
what kind of alliance?
Saturn has no military to speak of
Sommerswerd says:
Assuming an agreement on the other thingd
Sommerswerd says:
Noted
Sommerswerd says:
So?
Sommerswerd says:
Alliance? I understand if you need to check with team...
I don't understand what you mean by "alliance"... you need to clear that up first. There are so many different kinds of MP alliances, so it's important to make sure we're clear... tech alliance, defensive alliance, aggressive alliance, espionage alliance...?
but yeah, we'd be happy to negotiate the terms of some kind of alliance if you sent all your tech
of course I'd need to put it to the team
and the tech would definitely be a prerequisite... we're not going to agree to an alliance while we're stuck in the stone age
you still there?
Sommerswerd says:
OK, to be clear, I mean an alliance where we are allies: Offensiely, defensively, share tech, and espy info... A total alliance.
Sommerswerd says:
Is that clear enough to bring up to you team?
how long would it last?
presumably not indefinitely
needs to be clear from the outset
I'm aware that since we'd be the 4th member, as soon as SANCTA were gone we'd probably be the first to get kicked out
Sommerswerd says:
Forever. Meaning until all other teams are elimminated, or until one of us wins space race. However, we would have to negotiate between teams to figure out which, ubderstandably.
all "other" teams?
meaning just SANCTA/
?
Sommerswerd says:
understandably
Sommerswerd says:
No meaning everyone besides us and you.
Sommerswerd says:
I want to be clear
but you appear to be allied to Cav and MS
why do you suddenly prefer us to them?
Sommerswerd says:
We don't
Sommerswerd says:
you appear to be allied to SANCTA
Sommerswerd says:
why do you prefer them
Sommerswerd says:
?
Sommerswerd says:
You dont
Sommerswerd says:
You prefer to win
Sommerswerd says:
You prefer the best situaton possible for Saturn
Sommerswerd says:
As I prefer the best situation possible for Kazakhs
so how does it work when SANCTA are gone and there is suddenly an alliance of four?
Sommerswerd says:
That is the same question you just asked.
Sommerswerd says:
Right?
no, it's very different
Sommerswerd says:
You have no reason to believe me
Sommerswerd says:
So why engage in deception?
do you just throw everything up in the air and declare war on Cav?
Deception???
Sommerswerd says:
I say again. I seek an alliance until all other teams are gone
Sommerswerd says:
besides us and you.
Sommerswerd says:
Not deception by you
Sommerswerd says:
Why would we declare war on Cav?
Sommerswerd says:
I dont understand your question
Sommerswerd says:
I am asking you to ally with us
Sommerswerd says:
What does Cav have to do with it
Sommerswerd says:
?
What I mean is this: You've been buddies with Cav and MS for ages. So what, you suddenly up and backstab them in the middle of the game?
I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from
Sommerswerd says:
Why do we have to backstab anyone? You are not at war with any other team
Sommerswerd says:
we dont need to backstab anyone to form an alliance with you. Right?
Sommerswerd says:
Does that make sense?
No, but you need to backstab someone to eliminate MS and Cav.
Sommerswerd says:
We are nowhere near elimminating anyone... Can we at least agree on that?
Sure
Sommerswerd says:
It will be months and months before anyone gets elimminated
But I don't understand how any of this could possibly work
Sommerswerd says:
So I am talking about now
Sommerswerd says:
Why?
Sommerswerd says:
Why cant you ally with us
Sommerswerd says:
?
Sommerswerd says:
Give me a sec... BRB
Sommerswerd says:
BRB
It's not necessarily that we can't, it's just that we need to have some level of trust and understanding first. You can't come to us out of the blue like this and expect immediate friendship.
To be honest, right now it seems far more likely that you just want to placate us until SANCTA are gone. Then you eliminate us. Then you and MS war with Cav, and finish off the game.
We seem like the fourth wheel to the tricycle.
I'm just calling it like I see it.

Sommerswerd continues. I still don't really believe a word of what he's saying. I'd need to see them actually offer over their techs before my suspicions would be somewhat removed.

Spoiler :
Sommerswerd says:
That makes perfect sense
Sommerswerd says:
I have another view for you
Sommerswerd says:
I wanted to make you our permanent allies until the end.
Sommerswerd says:
But we met the others teams first. So when we met you, we did a test trade agreement to see if you could be trusted.
Sommerswerd says:
If all went well, then we would make a permanent offense/defense/tech/espy alliance with you untill the end.\
Sommerswerd says:
But you balked
Sommerswerd says:
So here we are
Why with us?
Sommerswerd says:
Simple]
Above any of the other teams, before you'd met us or knew where we were?
Sommerswerd says:
No No
Sommerswerd says:
After we met EVERYONE
Sommerswerd says:
I liked you the best
Sommerswerd says:
and wanted to make our permanent alliance with you
Sommerswerd says:
"like" meaning best potential for an ally
Sommerswerd says:
not boyfriend girlfriend
yeah
Sommerswerd says:
Want reasons?
Sommerswerd says:
There are many
We would have liked to have you as an ally too... but then you started trading like crazy with Cav and MS
seemed like you made the decision to leave us out
Sommerswerd says:
We met them first
Sommerswerd says:
you were last team we met
yeah... but a lot of the tech trades didn't happen until long after you met us
Sommerswerd says:
Team wanted to get tech trading going ASAP
Sommerswerd says:
So long term tech trades were made... like the ones we made with you.. Right?
Sommerswerd says:
The trades happened after we met you, but the agreements happened earlier
Sommerswerd says:
Does that make sense?
They didn't seem like the ones we made with you. They seemed to of the free-for-all-gift-everything type...
Sommerswerd says:
Every tech exchange was preceeded by painful, PAINFUL arguments and negotiations by our team... HOWEVER you are correct that we have tended to co=operate more with the teams we met earlier than you. That is what I am trying to address
Sommerswerd says:
I get it that you are suspicious. It all makes sense. I am trying to get us back on the original track.
Right, but it got to a point where you were about a half a dozen techs ahead (at least), which was insane. I hope you can understand that we eventually saw it as suicide to send Feudalism.
Okay, well it would certainly be nice if we could fix the current tech problem Saturn has.
I'll put it to the team anyway.
And of course fix the issue with the missing Feudalism tech for you.
Sommerswerd says:
OK, well at this point Feudalism is not that important... What is important is that you agree to ally with us. Offense/ Defense/ Special Teams etc...
Sommerswerd says:
LOL
Well, for us the techs are important... I think most of the team would need to see a big tech offer before their suspicions would be placated.
Sommerswerd says:
Anyway I still want to ally with you until the end. We can share everything going forward. I wish team had agreed to this earlier. But now they are coming around
Sommerswerd says:
Let me be clear... to put that issue aside. If you ally with us, we will give you any tech you want that we have... period. You agree to do the same. That's it for now. We can argue and fight and negotiate and call each other all kinds of dirty, dirty names for the rest if you want. The most important point is that we agree to be real allies moving forward.
Sommerswerd says:
Heelo?
Sommerswerd says:
Hello
Sommerswerd says:
Hello????\
hi
posting on the forums, sorry
Sommerswerd says:
What? Are you two different people? Like Superman and Clark Kent? Well I no Lois Lane
huh?
Sommerswerd says:
LOL never mind
Sommerswerd says:
Answer
Sommerswerd says:
?
I said, I'll put it to the team. I can't agree to an alliance by myself, this is a democracy game.
but hopefully you'll hear back from us soon
ie next few days

Maybe we could tell them we'll agree to mutual non-aggression / sharing espionage, and will look at a military alliance once we actually have a military, IF they send all their tech (we'll send Feudalism in return) and agree to instant mutual trade of all techs in future. That doesn't hurt us at all at this stage - no clause that we can't send anything to SANCTA, and we can rightly claim inability to help in any military campaigns right now due to our pathetic military. Thoughts?

I propose that we start out this "alliance" so to speak by progressing from level to level.

Level 1: Mutual Non Aggression Pact / Espionage
Level 2: Multual Non Aggression Pact / Espionage / Tech Trades / Resource Trades
Level 3: Mutual Non Aggression Pact / Espionage / Tech Trades / Resource Trades / Full Military Alliance

Or something like that. We should do that, and if Kaz can honor their word for level 1, then we can progress to level 2.

We should tell SANCTA about this as well.

Already told SANCTA about it during the MSN conversation. ;) They were quite happy for us to go ahead if we could get techs out of Kaz.

I like your idea of the different levels. It helps to build trust between our teams, which is really quite necessary (we don't trust Kaz because of their past affiliations, and they don't trust us because of Feudalism falling through). If we jumped straight into a full military-espionage-tech-trading thing, I suspect people from both teams would wonder whether the other was just trying to fleece them and run off, due to the lack of trust.

Proposed message to Kaz. Feel free to suggest any changes. I'll send it in about 24 hours if there are no objections.

Greetings Kazakhstan,

We would like to reply to the offer of an alliance extended to us by a member of your team - Sommerswerd - a few days ago. Saturn would be very interested in restoring relations with Kazakhstan, but we think that there are presently trust issues on both sides that need to be addressed before any alliance can be made formal. Thus, we suggest a multiple step procedure to get us from the current point of distrust and broken relations, to a better position for signing a full alliance.

Our suggestion for the different steps is as follows:

Level 1: Mutual Non Aggression Pact / Espionage - Both Kazakhstan and Saturn agree not to attack one another for an indefinite period, and share what knowledge we have gained about other teams through espionage.

Level 2: Tech Trades / Resource Trades - After a number of turns of building trust through sharing what we know about other nations, we shift to a full trading alliance. Saturn agrees to give Kazakhstan any techs or resources they want immediately upon request, and Kazakhstan agrees likewise. In this way both of our nations will be able to grow and prosper together.

Level 3: Full Military Alliance - After a number of turns of building trust through mutually helping one another out with gifted resources and techs, we extend our treaty to a full military alliance. By this it is understood that Kazakhstan will do their best to defend Saturn against any invasions on our soil, and Saturn will do their best to defend Kazakhstan against any invasions on their soil. We can also look at offensively warring together against common enemies.

Please let us know what you think of this proposal as soon as you can. :)

Kind regards,
Lord Parkin of Saturn

Sent above message to Kaz. :)

Silence from them? No surprise I guess. :p

Top Bottom