New improvement art! You don't need to replace civ5artdefines_landmarks.xml

That's great that you've tracked this down Horem. It is now possible to design around the bug even if it is not fixed in the near future.

No the issue is the Farm Improvement built on a resource(Custom with custom Art that needs the Reload Landmark System checked) that is hidden(Un revealed), that you later go to change to the "Proper" Improvement after it has been revealed to you, this will cause a CTD. Setting new resources to NOT require a Reveal Tech eliminates this problem, since workers will NOT build farms on resources they can "see", they wil however build farms on resources they can "not see", even if you have BuildableOnResources set too off, which it is by default.

I see. so the situation is okay with mines doing the same thing but only farms breaking it, right?

Mines, Lumbermills, Landmarks, Trading posts are all fine, just Farms that cause CTD or Freezes on occasion, but mostly CTD.

Mines, Lumbermills, Landmarks, Trading posts are all fine, just Farms that cause CTD or Freezes on occasion, but mostly CTD.

Ok, using ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_FARM will subvert the general landmark system and instead use the farm system. Wheat does too. Not sure how to access it or code around it. It has something with the decal being generated differently than other TIs.

Do you have a simple one off mod with a modified farm that you can load here so I can pass it along?

I have not touched any improvements. Just Resource reskins. Its the vanilla farm causing the issue.

So Horem, would you be able to create a new farm exactly identical to the old? It's completely absurd that farms cause problems, and perhaps removing the farm improvement entirely would help. It *would* require a bit of tooltip rewriting but it would eliminate stupid crashes.

@Horem: Could you create a simple mod with a reskinned resource, and a save made using this mod that can be used to reproduce the crash? This can be helpful for the game devs to fix it.

I did some testing, the bug can be replicated 100% of the time.
  • Create a very basic modinfo file that does nothing and activate the reload landmark system.
    Code:
    <ReloadLandmarkSystem>1</ReloadLandmarkSystem>
  • Build a farm
  • Once the farm has finished try to replace it with something else, eg a trading post.
  • Crash

So just having the ReloadLandmarkSystem active is enough for this bug you don't need to do anything else.

Nice find on this bug Horem :hatsoff:

Edit: removing the farm improvement and replacing it, as 3335d has suggested, with a different one should act as a temporary fix i guess

So Horem, would you be able to create a new farm exactly identical to the old? It's completely absurd that farms cause problems, and perhaps removing the farm improvement entirely would help. It *would* require a bit of tooltip rewriting but it would eliminate stupid crashes.

It's easier to just have the resources be revealed from the beginning; according to what Horem has said that would also fix the problem. Of course, if someone ported, say, a farm from Civ4 and we used that instead, that could possibly fix the problem as well.

It's easier to just have the resources be revealed from the beginning; according to what Horem has said that would also fix the problem.

But it wouldn't prevent the crash when someone wants to do things like building a trading post in place of a farm.

Ive done a bit more testing on this, Farm indeed crashes if you change it to ANY improvement with the Reload Landmark System on regardless of added resource art, but the Polder does not, so for CCTP im changing the graphic of farms to this scaled down 20%, untill this bug is fixed. Code I used incase anyone else wishes to do the same.
Code:
-- Create new Art for farm, Polder Graphic scaled down 20%
INSERT INTO ArtDefine_Landmarks (Era,			State,					Scale,	ImprovementType,				LayoutHandler,	ResourceType,				Model,						TerrainContour, Tech)
SELECT							 'Ancient',		'UnderConstruction',	0.8,	'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM',	'SNAPSHOT',		'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_NONE',	'HB_ANC_Polder.fxsxml',		1,				null					UNION ALL
SELECT							 'Ancient',		'UnderConstruction',	0.8,	'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM',	'ANIMATED',		'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_NONE',	'ANC_Polder.fxsxml',		1,				null					UNION ALL
SELECT							 'Ancient',		'Constructed',			0.8,	'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM',	'SNAPSHOT',		'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_NONE',	'Polder_Blank.fxsxml',		1,				null					UNION ALL
SELECT							 'Ancient',		'Constructed',			0.8,	'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM',	'ANIMATED',		'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_NONE',	'ANC_Polder.fxsxml',		1,				null					UNION ALL
SELECT							 'Ancient',		'Pillaged',				0.8,	'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM',	'SNAPSHOT',		'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_NONE',	'PL_ANC_Polder.fxsxml',		1,				null					UNION ALL
SELECT							 'Ancient',		'Pillaged',				0.8,	'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM',	'ANIMATED',		'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_NONE',	'ANC_Polder.fxsxml',		1,				null					UNION ALL
SELECT							 'Ancient',		'UnderConstruction',	0.8,	'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM',	'SNAPSHOT',		'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_NONE',	'HB_IND_Polder.fxsxml',		1,				'TECH_ECONOMICS'		UNION ALL
SELECT							 'Ancient',		'UnderConstruction',	0.8,	'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM',	'ANIMATED',		'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_NONE',	'IND_Polder.fxsxml',		1,				'TECH_ECONOMICS'		UNION ALL
SELECT							 'Ancient',		'Constructed',			0.8,	'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM',	'ANIMATED',		'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_NONE',	'IND_Polder.fxsxml',		1,				'TECH_ECONOMICS'		UNION ALL
SELECT							 'Ancient',		'Constructed',			0.8,	'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM',	'SNAPSHOT',		'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_NONE',	'Polder_Blank.fxsxml',		1,				'TECH_ECONOMICS'		UNION ALL
SELECT							 'Ancient',		'Pillaged',				0.8,	'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM',	'SNAPSHOT',		'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_NONE',	'PL_IND_Polder.fxsxml',		1,				'TECH_ECONOMICS'		UNION ALL
SELECT							 'Ancient',		'Pillaged',				0.8,	'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM',	'ANIMATED',		'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_NONE',	'IND_Polder.fxsxml',		1,				'TECH_ECONOMICS'		UNION ALL
SELECT							 'Industrial',	'UnderConstruction',	0.8,	'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM',	'SNAPSHOT',		'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_NONE',	'HB_IND_Polder.fxsxml',		1,				null					UNION ALL
SELECT							 'Industrial',	'UnderConstruction',	0.8,	'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM',	'ANIMATED',		'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_NONE',	'IND_Polder.fxsxml',		1,				null					UNION ALL
SELECT							 'Industrial',	'Constructed',			0.8,	'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM',	'ANIMATED',		'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_NONE',	'IND_Polder.fxsxml',		1,				null					UNION ALL
SELECT							 'Industrial',	'Constructed',			0.8,	'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM',	'SNAPSHOT',		'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_NONE',	'Polder_Blank.fxsxml',		1,				null					UNION ALL
SELECT							 'Industrial',	'Pillaged',				0.8,	'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM',	'SNAPSHOT',		'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_NONE',	'PL_IND_Polder.fxsxml',		1,				null					UNION ALL
SELECT							 'Industrial',	'Pillaged',				0.8,	'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM',	'ANIMATED',		'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_NONE',	'IND_Polder.fxsxml',		1,				null;
--
INSERT INTO ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes	(Type,							LandmarkType,	FriendlyName) 
VALUES								('ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM',	'Improvement',	'Farm');
-- Update Farm Art Define
UPDATE Improvements 
SET ArtDefineTag = 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NEWFARM' WHERE Type = 'IMPROVEMENT_FARM';
With this fix wheat loses its unique graphic, I consider this to be the lesser of two evils :D

Great job danrell! I believe this qualifies as the first actual new improvement.

Rather remarkable given the title of this thread and the fact that I started it back in January.

Paz,

I got a working model in. You can use the origial game gr2 for your "half-Built" (HB) tile imp like you did before. Apparently you had to resize it! LOL

But my extracted and rebuilt oracle model does work and is sized ok! the color is off. it maybe the shader. but the UVs got warped during extraction. You can use the attached GR2 in the rar to mod it in.

For pillage you can just use this one or the HB with smoke or use ruins9.gr2 (provided by the game)

Attachments

• oracle_HB.jpg
    oracle_HB.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 344
  • oracle_B.jpg
    oracle_B.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 342
  • Oracle_Model.rar
    143.1 KB · Views: 69
Top Bottom