End of Empires - N3S III

Ok, so what nations are free?

Moti, Piatrata, Temish / Tilgun / Laoash (depending on which one flying icarus takes), Kona, Annua, Het, Nahar, Zirais, Dinyart, Ormiskos, Kalos, Leheb, Acca, Ritti, and Peren.

Well, since the map isn't loading at the moment for me, I have given the selection process over to my gf.

She likes the name Ormiskos best (second place was Annua due to it at a glance looking like anus)

Is there any change you could upload it and have it spoilered rather than using imageshacks thumbnail option?

Is there any change you could upload it and have it spoilered rather than using imageshacks thumbnail option?

That's rather inconvenient in the long run, but I can do it for this one.

Attachments

• Year 21 Political.PNG
    Year 21 Political.PNG
    31.7 KB · Views: 123
Thankyou NK!

Brief Correction from Earlier Debate: At least initially, Arkage law was that sucession was through adopting an heir by default. People still called themselves sons and daughters of their fathers, but did not inherit their property.

Great update, but I'm one of those people who start by reading my part then those immediately around me then "forgetting" the rest of the world. :o

Also, awesome turn of events. An independent Ritti (and anther Ailuttorutto state, apparently) is just parfait for my plans.

CONFIRMATION PLEASE:
What is the new turn length?

I think I'm going with fifty, since that would take us about 300-400 years by the end of the summer, whereas twenty-five would get us a paltry 200, max.

I think I have a notion of where I'm heading with these stats, but they'll have to come tomorrow. They're not vital for your planning, honestly speaking. Nation strengths can be extrapolated from last turn's.

In case North King still wants them, some place names:
-Mount Craknus
-Mount Panid
-Mount (Any figure who the Arkage see as Great)
-Mountains of the Greats (the mountains Jania's new capital are in)
-(A description of what happened at the area that is notable. For example, "Craknus's Glory", "Ogrid's Humiliation", "Death of Hasmid", and so on)
-"x city", where x is the name of a ruler
-"x river/mountain/whatever" where x is the name of a notable general, writer, or whatever

The Majanoid Heresy
The Majanoids (well, their Janian branch) began in eastern Akalm, and were "descended" from the nobleman, Majinid.

Majinid began his life in the area where the city of Jania used to be, but his family moved because his father wanted better prospects. Majinid had a philosopher's mind, but a dedication to his state, and a similiar type in a diffrent type of age could have been a nationalistic philosopher or orator.

As it was, he became a historian (while his father was a brief political phenomena which burnt out quickly), advocating research into old Arkage culture. His archeology, while crude compared to later times, and never truely professional, was sufficent to make him realise the religious diffrences between old Arkage and the Jania of his day. He didn't interpret what he found that well, but it was enough (thanks to a lucky find or two) to make him come to quite diffrent conclusions.

He kept his head down, well aware that after his father's assasination the ground at the capital was quite poor. Instead, he persuaded a friend to try and spread the message to the Trului. (There, he believed, the most controversial part would be the doctrine of Might is Right. But a wise observer noted it could be politically useful...)

Himself, Majinid went to where he believed it would be easiest to spread his teaching- Akalm. Taking another identity (which would be exposed about twenty years later by another historian), he preached his doctrines to the peasants, helping on the land in exchange for food.

About ten years later, officials in the region began to notice the emergence of a heresy of notable proportions...

It's Liealb, yes. Or rather, the ruling class is. Honestly they have minimal control over their southern lands, where people are likely to be natives.

Am I allowed to take liberties with what is in the mountains, even though there are no resources on the map?

OK, so here's the basic format for stats that I'm looking at:

[Nation Name] - [Player]
Culture: Same as usual
Income: (in the range of 500 to 25,000*)
Expenses: Usually military upkeep, but also special projects
Military: (number of men and ships you have under arms)
Manpower: (number of men you can have in your military)
Description: Same as usual

Such as:

Annua - NPC
Income: 500
Military: 500 militia, 25 ships (Upkeep: 100 + 250 = 350)
Manpower: 5,000 men
Culture: Hamakua, Small
Description: A tiny branch of the larger Hamakuan culture, Annua is an island nation with few ties to the mainland. Perhaps, given recent events, this is fortunate.

Baharr - Toltec
Income: 750
Military: 500 militia, 50 ships (Upkeep: 100 + 500 = 600)
Manpower: 5,000 men
Culture: Arta Xorti, Strong
Description: The main island of the Arta Xorti was named Dinyart, and the Kingdom there was called Baharr. The center of Arta Xorti culture, it was also regarded as the easiest place to gain Iehor, or Enlightenment. Then the split happened, and the farmers drove out the fishermen; the fishermen now live on a periphery of islands.

Bahra - Luckymoose
Culture: Bahra, Average
Income: 1,500
Military: 1,000 militia, 500 noble horsemen (Upkeep: 200 + 500 = 700)
Manpower: 15,000 men
Description: A people descended from the desert nomads, they finally came to settle on the fork of this river, and while most still tend the herds, some have come to regard farming as a more honorable profession. Constantly raided as a source of slaves for the nations downriver, they turned from raided to raider, attacking their neighbors and selling the captured. After the Sesh conquered their nation, they thrived in the united empire; when it broke up, they managed to snatch a large part, and look well off.

Farou - Lord_Iggy
Culture: Farou, Good
Income: 10,000
Military: 10,000 militia, 1,000 professionals, 20 ships (Upkeep: 2,000 + 2,000 + 200 = 4,200)
Manpower: 35,000
Description: The Farou are a free people; militantly so. The descendants of a slave revolt in Hu’ut, they have managed to build a thriving nation in Helsia, which remains opposed to slave-holding nations everywhere. They have already conquered several minor slave-holding states. Moreover, their inventive and industrious workforce was the first to develop iron-working in the world.

Hu’ut - lord_joakim
Culture: Hu’ut, Strong
Income: 15,000
Military: 25,000 militia, 1,000 professionals, 15 ships (Upkeep: 5,000 + 2,000 + 150 = 7,150)
Manpower: 75,000
Description: A powerful nation, if not a rich one, Hu’ut went through a vicious civil war between the Magio and Dha cults, with the former and the god Hu’atbka finally triumphing. This rather mirrored their rise as a nation, where they bludgeoned their way to becoming the most powerful nation on the Had River, though incoming barbarian invasions and crop failures are starting to chip away at that lead. Trade, even within the nation, is dominated by foreigners, which has led to distrust against the people of the major trading states, while they harbor a strong sense of enmity towards the Farou.

These five should give a nice indicator as to the range of stats.

Do people want more detail? Government types? Quality of Life? Technological level (for that, really, I could just put an asterisk (*) next to your nation name if you were in the iron age, since there are only two options)?

Is there something particularly confusing here?

For the record, prices will go something like this:

.2 "gold" for every militia. 1 for every nobleman (he mostly pays for himself). 2 for professionals. 10 for every ship (come to think of it, that might need to be upped).

To launch a major campaign, I'd recommend something like 500 gold per 1,000 men per turn, to keep it fully supplied, though that might be a little high.

Chartering a colonial expedition might be something like 1,000 (prices vary depending on size and distance of colony, as well as the experience your nation has at starting them. You can inquire with me to be sure, or just assign however much you think appropriate and I'll bank the excess).

In order to let smaller nations do some of the things larger nations do, you can bank "gold", and conversely you can also deficit spend if you are a developed nation (those in the iron age and in the center of the cradle, mostly). Deficit spending just means that I'll keep track of your debt next to your income level; you have to repay it at some point, otherwise you can expect economic collapse. When is some point? That's where the fun begins... Let's just say whoever you "borrowed" (i.e. foraged i.e. stole) from will get pretty angry after a few turns.

Also, I'm going to get really sick of "gold" really quickly, so if people want to make currency names, I'd be more than happy to keep track of that. Even if you want to make weaker/stronger currencies, I can work out exchange rates fairly easily.

The Janian currency will be the Craknus. And I'm okay with the stats as given.

The Satarai do not need stats! And our only currency is the severed heads of our conquered foes! :p

Though, a rough idea of my tribal military and manpower would be good.

Hmm. You'll still need an income so that you can have something to pay army upkeep with.

Satarai - Thlayli
Culture: Satarai, Tiny
Income: 500
Military: 2,500 steppe horsemen (Upkeep: 500)
Manpower: 10,000 men
Description: Yeargh!

That's what you'd be looking at. So, in other words, identical. :p

Are our spending orders expected to be exhaustive? Since I'm not particularly keen on making budgets, would it work okay to say, "spend 70% of available funds on the normal, expected stuff for a bronze age state to do, 20% on this specific unusual effort, and keep 10% in the vaults" ?

The stats are adequate as you present them there. More details (particularly of the qualitative sort) would of course not be unwelcome. Rather than pack a lot of stuff into the stats, maybe have a few lists released with each update, such as 'the five dirtiest cities in the known world' or 'busiest grain markets' or 'royal courts infamous for displays of ostentation in the last couple decades' or whatever is relevant to the content of that particular update.

Are our spending orders expected to be exhaustive? Since I'm not particularly keen on making budgets, would it work okay to say, "spend 70% of available funds on the normal, expected stuff for a bronze age state to do, 20% on this specific unusual effort, and keep 10% in the vaults" ?

Yes, that would work perfectly.

The stats are adequate as you present them there. More details (particularly of the qualitative sort) would of course not be unwelcome. Rather than pack a lot of stuff into the stats, maybe have a few lists released with each update, such as 'the five dirtiest cities in the known world' or 'busiest grain markets' or 'royal courts infamous for displays of ostentation in the last couple decades' or whatever is relevant to the content of that particular update.

:goodjob: Will consider.

Top Bottom