How do teams work.

General Tso

Panzer General
I was thinking about starting a single player game at a much higher difficulty level than I normally play and using the HotSeat mode to give myself two civs that would work as a team. Then it occurred to me that I'm not really familiar with how teams work.

I assume that both team Civs would always be at war with the same Civs. If one team Civ declares war on a third Civ does it's teammate automatically go to war with that Civ?

Do teammates share research? If so should I always have the 2 team Civs researching different techs or can they combine to research one tech faster?

Do teams share anything else?

Any answers to these questions or additional information would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking about starting a single player game at a much higher difficulty level than I normally play and using the HotSeat mode to give myself two civs that would work as a team. Then it occurred to me that I'm not really familiar with how teams work.

I assume that both team Civs would always be at war with the same Civs. If one team Civ declares war on a third Civ does it's teammate automatically go to war with that Civ?

Do teammates share research? If so should I always have the 2 team Civs researching different techs or can they combine to research one tech faster?

Do teams share anything else?

Any answers to these questions or additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Share Vision? Yes

Share Notifications? Sort of (Barb Camps Found etc)

Share Wars? Yes

Share Tech? Yes

Share Research? Yes

Share Diplo? No. One player can be hostile to another civ that their teammate is Friendly to.

Notes:

Finding a CS or NW counts for both players. In the case of the CS, the actual player to find the CS gets the 30gp and the other player gets only 15gp.

Quite often during a war the AI will try to make peace with the player that did not declare war. This could simply be observed behavior, but so far it is far more common for my wife to get the request for peace.

Another thing is that with the non shared diplomacy, my wife will get insane peace treaties (from being friendly) that I could not even hope to get as the war monger (hostile to me).

I have not really seen if she even takes a diplo hit at all. I will have to take a look at it tomorrow.

Thanks for the detailed answers. That helps a lot.

Thanks for the detailed answers. That helps a lot.

No problem. :goodjob:

A word of warning though. I am not sure if it is just me, but I swear that some of the later techs NEED both players to research it. Sometimes it looks like the cost to discover the tech is higher while on a team.

Of course, this could be because me, the wife, or both, might be lazier on prioritizing research buildings as we usually just double up on the tech we agree to go for.

Another thing that we have not explored is doubling up RAs. We cannot sign one with one another (I think), but we have not really checked to see if we could both sign one with the same civ. Although, they would obviously get the double boost as well.

There are a lot of strategies my wife and I have not yet explored, but she likes to play just to play. Not quite into trying to break the game, find exploits, or odd mechanics, etc.

EDIT: On another note, it is funny that you will get the "bad" wonder messages when a teammate finishes a wonder. Your points are shared, but you can see individual points as well.

I often play as a team of two with a friend. All of the answers that SemperFi gave are correct, but I am not really sure about how Research agreements works.

From what I can tell with the techs, at least in the early game, it doesn't matter whether you both research different things or the same thing. I mean you will either be getting two long techs individually, or one short tech in half the time, if you get what I mean. It's more difficult to comment on late game though.

Make sure you organise wonders in advance. If there's something you want to go for, say so. My partner usually likes grabbing The Pyramids early, while I go for the Great Library.

Avoid teaming with the AI. I've never started a game like that, but in the instances where my partner quits, or the third person we team with quits, the AI tends to spoil plans by say... agreeing to peace with the enemy when I'm one turn off taking the capital. -.-

How does the Hot seat mode work?

Hotseat can be used if you want to play with people with one computer (or you want to play against yourself). For example: if you're two players:

- Player 1 takes his/her turn.
- Once P1 finishes his/her turn, the screen gets black and a pop-up appears saying that is P2's turn.
- P2 click on the pop-up and plays his/her turn.
- Once P2 has finished, all AI's play their turn and then the game will say that it's P1 turn.
- Etc.

You can use passwords so the other players can't be an ******* and play your turn.

This is how it works, more or less.

Spoiler :
100th post!!! :trophy3rd:

Do you share wonder effects like the Statue of liberty?

As far as I can tell, no.

Also, when you finish a Great Wonder that gives you a Free GP, only the player that built it will get them.

In Civ 4 your AI teammate(s) were always helpful, would share resources, and joined you if at war. In Civ V I was surprised to find that my teammates were quite greedy, and when I was attacked by another AI team, I was fighting by myself. I didn't realized this was the case until I saw my teammate's fighters ignoring my attackers, and just getting into my way. When I asked him to join me in the war he said he'd 'think about it in 10 turns"!

A few other things I've observed from playing team games with friends.

RAs are really hard to sign. Nobody ever wants to be my friend in team games, and if you do sign an RA, it gets broken if either AI backstabs which seems to be more likely with 2 people to do it.

Only one player can build a wonder at a time. You do not share world wonder or national wonder bonuses. You do share project bonuses, for example only one person needs to build the Apollo Program and both can build space parts.

The AI seems to be a little worse in team games. I cannot win immortal games regularly in single player, but in multiplayer we regularly beat diety. Maybe they don't coordinate their research :D

It's usually a lot easier to make peace with one teammate than the other - always check both to see what the better deal is.

Above all, the biggest thing I've learned about team games (at least when the AI is involved) is don't rely on RAs, because you won't get any or they won't mature.

I don't know if other people have observed the same problem, but when I play hotseat, human players have to be on the same team or else the game will inevitably freeze up at some point. I don't have the issue with single player games. It's weird. We can go back to a saved game, but it usually freezes up at the same point again.

You should always be researching the same techs in team games.

If you can research Pottery in 10 turns and your ally can research Animal Husbandry in 10 turns, you are better off doubling up and finishing each of them in 5 turns. This way you get the benefits of one tech sooner without delaying the time it takes to finish both. In some cases, this may actually speed up the research of the second tech (say you finish Education before Guilds and rush buy universities, now you can tech Guilds faster).

Even when there is a discrepancy in bpt you are better off all researching the same thing.

In fact, not doing so puts you at a disadvantage since I believe tech costs are multiplied linearly based on number of players. So if an ancient era tech would normally take a single player 10 turns to finish, it will take a single player 20 turns to finish it if two are playing on the same team.

And I'm not sure about other wonders, but teammates will share the terrain cost effect of the Great Wall.

I know for a fact the worker bonus from the Great Pyramids is not shared. I'm not sure why the GW is so special since it can be really frustrating.

I've thought bit about which teammate would be the best.

Does Sweden's friend bonus apply automatically to teammates? If so, they are a helpful teammate for Babylon, China, and Korea.

Polynesia is a good teammate for anyone because they meet civs on other landmasses sooner than the rest.

Babylon, Korea, and the Mayans are good teammates because they help plow through techs even faster.

The Huns...well the Huns bring Animal Husbandry to the team.

The Dutch and Arabians would be good teammates for luxury sharing.

Americans help reveal the map faster and any tech ruins they find help teammates too.

I tried a team game . . . once. I was Mongolia and teamed myself up with Songhai. I forget who we were against, but I thought that, between my Keshiks and his Mandchalu Cavalry, we'd terrorize the globe and earn an easy domination victory. Unfortunately, every time a started a war with one of the AI, Askia would sign a peace treaty and screw things up.

Maybe I should have tried it on Hot Seat with me controlling both Mongolia and Songhai.

No problem. :goodjob:

A word of warning though. I am not sure if it is just me, but I swear that some of the later techs NEED both players to research it. Sometimes it looks like the cost to discover the tech is higher while on a team.

According to my own experience, it seems like the tech cost in beakers are doubled when your team consists of 2 players, tripled when its 3 players and so on. And it should be like that imo, for balance purposes :)

I play teams reasonably often - my son and I against paired teams of AIs, immortal level. Other "features" not mentioned:
As well as Great Wall affecting both members of a team (somewhat jarring when the AI that built it is on a different undiscovered continent than the AI team member you're attacking!), Himeji castle affects both.
You can't promote a unit in your teammates territory (I view this as a bug).
You can freely trade cities back and forth (often useful for happiness) and promote a unit after such a city trade.

It's a quicker game; you definitely develop techs faster. It's also an easier game than immortal on your own - the AI's don't coordinate as well as humans.

2 peoples at team tech cost 150% and 4 players it was bit less than 250%

edit. so tech is much cheaper at proper team.

Top Bottom