[Map Script] PerfectWorld2.py

Well, I would have to make a FFH specific version for that. Seven05 is making a very similar map specifically for FFH so I don't wanna step on his toes. In my experience with PW1 though, I have found that using a 'new world' with FFH will get so ridiculously full of animals and barbarians that it's almost unplayable. When no one is around to kill them they breed and breed and breed.
Stepping on MY toes? It's your map, I just beat on it with a hammer to tweak it a bit to suit my taste :)

And now I'm going to steal examine your new river code :)

Stepping on MY toes? It's your map, I just beat on it with a hammer to tweak it a bit to suit my taste :)

And now I'm going to steal examine your new river code :)

check out the siltOverLakes function and the ones that it calls. It's pretty simple really. It should just go right into your map.

Edit: Actually there is one tweak in the other river code also that prevents rivers from going straight if possible.

...so I made it such that peaks and hills are determined by altitude *differences* rather than by absolute altitude. This approach looks much better and more natural.
Didn't the original perfect world work by differences? Or am I imagining things? I know I saw numerous references to the 'lowest neighbor' in FaireWeather too, guess I should dig deeper next time.

2.0 - Rebuilt the landmass and climate model using the FaireWeather.py for Colonization map script engine. Improved the river system. Fixed some old bugs.
Any hints on what the 'old bugs' were? I know there was one in FaireWeather.py with wrapping enabled that I had to fix but everything else i encounted was introduced by me.

check out the siltOverLakes function and the ones that it calls. It's pretty simple really. It should just go right into your map.

Edit: Actually there is one tweak in the other river code also that prevents rivers from going straight if possible.
I'm probably going to end up picking apart quite a bit from PW2 in addition to the rivers. Thanks for the hint though, I think everybody that uses my version for FfH will appreciate longer rivers although honestly the rivers you had with FaireWeather were pretty good to start with. Question though, I couldn't really tell from the screenshots (and I'm at work so I can't test it) do you still get some lakes created by the river system or will I need to adjust the function that fills in lakes prior to river creation to make sure I still get a couple. And then, I suppose, if I do that will they get removed by the siltOverLakes function?

Didn't the original perfect world work by differences? Or am I imagining things? I know I saw numerous references to the 'lowest neighbor' in FaireWeather too, guess I should dig deeper next time.
Yeah, it's the same. The comment is for first time users.

Any hints on what the 'old bugs' were? I know there was one in FaireWeather.py with wrapping enabled that I had to fix but everything else i encounted was introduced by me.

There was an incompatability with vanilla that caused my bonus placer to crash. Also, I made it so that when you change the tuning vars regarding new world and pangaeas it's reflected in the in-game map options, and... I can't remember what else. See the last few complaints on the original thread for PW1.

I'm probably going to end up picking apart quite a bit from PW2 in addition to the rivers. Thanks for the hint though, I think everybody that uses my version for FfH will appreciate longer rivers although honestly the rivers you had with FaireWeather were pretty good to start with. Question though, I couldn't really tell from the screenshots (and I'm at work so I can't test it) do you still get some lakes created by the river system or will I need to adjust the function that fills in lakes prior to river creation to make sure I still get a couple. And then, I suppose, if I do that will they get removed by the siltOverLakes function?

Lakes are actually added later. You just choose how many and it puts them in random spots above a certain altitude. I think it's minLakeAltitude and lakesPerPlot or something like that. There will still be lakes.

No adjustments of the kind you mentioned. Does that mean the map is too big for a normal game? Nobody should be starting on tiny islands, I'd like a screenshot if that's the case because that's a bug.

No actually I mean it's a great map that is finally big enough for me. :goodjob: It generates much better than the other huge maps. (The others seem to not give enough space for 20+ civilizations in a game.)

And I seem to have lost the save files, so I have not way of going back to get you a screen shot. Sorry. However there were 2 or 3 civs that were siting on little tiney islands in the north when I went into world builder. One was the Japanese and I forget the others. I'll let you know if I see something like that again though. :)

I absolutely love what you've done with perfectworld, but sometimes especially when I start in the northern or southern regions I feel tempted to add a few luxuries. There are seldom anything to speak of in these places. Is there something I can do to tune this? I've tried python both on and off.

Cheers!

I absolutely love what you've done with perfectworld, but sometimes especially when I start in the northern or southern regions I feel tempted to add a few luxuries. There are seldom anything to speak of in these places. Is there something I can do to tune this? I've tried python both on and off.

Cheers!

Resources are placed according to the rules in the XML, with a few minor exceptions. I pretty much copied the methods used in the SDK except I allow bonuses to overwrite forest and resources to be placed on small islands. Most luxuries are designed to appear on one continent only, and in clusters. The stock maps that use the 'Fractal' terrain tend to break these clusters up alot more, which spreads them out somewhat, but in PW there is alot of clustering since there is alot of contiguous terrain. I kindof like this because it encourages trade rather than self-sufficiency.

That's a concept I like too... enhanced trade. However, not getting any luxuries is a bit extreme. Land closer to the equator holds much more resources on average per tile. Food a get enough, it's just luxuries that are a bit scarce.

I'll continue to use your beautiful map script, but I just wanted to offer my two :commerce:

I did not play Civ4 for a while (played too much of it), but since I installed PW2 I am tempted to play again and again, as the game for me is breathing with new life on a new level of realism, surprise and strategy. This map generator is wonderful stuff and we feature it big on civilized.de. Thanks a lot for your this exceptional module!

I think the ice is sometimes a bit overdone around the equator.
Here's a screenshot:

I don't know how there can be ice there between deserts. I think there shouldn't be any water/precipitation up there, so no ice. Maybe tundra if it's very cold?

I also saw occurences of rivers going from plains to hills to plains (corssing hills), which seems a bit unrealistic to me.
River basins are still very nice (compared with v1) but too many rivers start in deserts.

Overall, I think the result is very neat, but generation time is awful.

I was playing a game with 2 contenents with new world on, and everyone started in one contenent except for me, i started in an isolated island next to the new world. There was ocean between my island and the new world, but i just put a city on the corner of my island, and it's culture reached the other continents waters which let me explore the continent 1000 years before anyone else. I think that in such conditions, even giving a civ a horsehockey spot in the old world is better then letting a civ take all the goody huts, early exploration and settlement etc. (although you might be technologically backwards, but that wasn't the case for me as i had tons of fish and got Great Lighthouse.)

I don't know how there can be ice there between deserts. I think there shouldn't be any water/precipitation up there, so no ice. Maybe tundra if it's very cold?

I also saw occurences of rivers going from plains to hills to plains (corssing hills), which seems a bit unrealistic to me.
River basins are still very nice (compared with v1) but too many rivers start in deserts.

Yeah, right now ice goes purely by temperature. I have a rainfall map which I could use for that I suppose but I haven't. Another thing that makes this screenshot look a little weird is that I made a 'clean up' routine that prevents desert from appearing next to tundra and ice, since it really doesn't look good to put them together. So what happened in this case is that we have what is supposed to be a very high altitude ridge, but the tundra surrounding the ice has been turned to plains to avoid desert+tundra. I may have to revisit the rules regarding this. Maybe turn the desert into plains rather than the tundra.

The generation time is much improved over v1. That's all I have to say about that. :lol: Hey, you only have to generate once per game. :)

I was playing a game with 2 contenents with new world on, and everyone started in one contenent except for me, i started in an isolated island next to the new world. There was ocean between my island and the new world, but i just put a city on the corner of my island, and it's culture reached the other continents waters which let me explore the continent 1000 years before anyone else. I think that in such conditions, even giving a civ a horsehockey spot in the old world is better then letting a civ take all the goody huts, early exploration and settlement etc. (although you might be technologically backwards, but that wasn't the case for me as i had tons of fish and got Great Lighthouse.)

The starting plot code is definately the most difficult part of a map like this. I think I did about the best I could do on that. You had a good start! Next time you'll have a hopeless one probably. :D

I did not play Civ4 for a while (played too much of it), but since I installed PW2 I am tempted to play again and again, as the game for me is breathing with new life on a new level of realism, surprise and strategy. This map generator is wonderful stuff and we feature it big on civilized.de. Thanks a lot for your this exceptional module!

Thanks CF! Of course it looks much better with blue marble too!

I tried the new version in vanilla and it worked fine, but when I tried it with the latest FfH I got, well... see for yourself. This is a custom game, large map, low sea level. The options for new world and pangeas didn't show up at all.

Edit: I move the script from My Games\Beyond the Sword\Fall from Heaven 2\PublicMaps (I use an alternate root folder for FfH) to the maps folder under the main mod folder, and I didn't have that problem. Probably something to do with root folders. However, I did notice that I started with no river and zero visible resources in my BFC. Also, I popped five goody huts in the first 25 turns and every one of them gave me a technology. @_@

Here's a screenshot:

Yeah this is my only issue with the map. Everything else is great but I find ice by the equator and such to be unrealistic... and kind of annoying when discovering it in my terrain during the ancient exploration phase when I'm playing the game. ;)

I find ice by the equator and such to be unrealistic...

On this BlueMarble satellite image you can see ice by the equator:
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/BlueMarble/Images/BlueMarble_2005_SAm_09_4096.jpg

But it is limited to Peaks, so perhaps in PM a high and cold terrain also should be just Desert. Speaking of Deserts: I sometimes seem to have a bit too much of them while Tundra seems to be a bit too little. Perhaps Cephalo could adjust this a bit. In reality there is more Tundra, only the usual map projection (round globe to square map) shows less Tundra because the pole regions appear smaller:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_projection#Choosing_a_projection_surface

Top Bottom