Pre-Order Brave New World

Getting it on Steam because then I can play it on July 9th even though I live in Europe :)

How so? I got G&K on Steam and was only able to play it after the European release date.

There are ways around it, but I think it's frowned upon to talk about it on this forum.
Moderator Action: True :yup:.

With hindsight, did those 2-3 days make that much difference in your playing experience between June last year and now?

The release date is on a Friday, so if it doesn't arrive until, say, Monday, I essentially couldn't play it until the next weekend.

So to answer your absurd question: no, of course it didn't, but it was irritating as I had been hoping to play it a week earlier than I was able to.

The Gaming Dragons website seems to work by location detection; for me, the price shows as $24.99, which is cheaper than all of the other US shops we have so far.

if you use the promo code "UGRocks" on the gaming dragons site, you can get another 5% off. seems to be the cheapest offer so far.

A quick comparison of the prices (at May 23rd prices, with 29.99USD being used as the baseline for price): :)

Download
Gamingdragons.com (through Steam) - EUR 19.95

25.767USD. Marked down.

Australia
Game-lane.com.au - AUD 39.99
Mighty Ape.com.au - AUD 39.99

38.639USD. Aussie Tax in full effect, marked up.

Austria
Amazon.at - EUR 29.95
Gameware.at - EUR 29.99
Multimediawelt.at - EUR 31.08

38.735USD. VAT accounts for some, but not all, of the difference. Marked up.

Canada
Amazon.ca - CAD 29.99
EBGames.ca - CAD 29.99

29.021USD. Very slight mark down.

Czech Republic
Xzone.cz - CZK 499

24.643USD. Marked down.

Denmark
CDON.dk - DKK 299

51.809USD. Scalpers. I feel sorry for you Danes.

Finland
CDON.fi - EUR 34.95

45.141USD. Almost as bad as the Danes. Are there extra taxes in Scandinavia that aren't in the rest of Europe that are this significant?

Discshop.fi - EUR 29.95

38.683USD. Same VAT+mark-up.

Germany
Amazon.de - EUR 29.95
Gameware.at - EUR 29.99

38.735USD.

Netherlands
Bol.com - EUR 29.99
Cosmox.nl - EUR 29.99

38.735USD.

Freerecordshop.nl - EUR 25.00

32.29USD. Those touting the Netherlands as cheap are incorrect :D

Wehkamp.nl - EUR 27.99

36.152USD. Mark-up.

New Zealand
Mighty Ape.co.nz - NZD 49.99

40.387USD. Is there a Kiwi tax, too?

Norway
CDON.no - NOK 299.00

51.261USD. Scandinavia tax strikes again.

homeenter.com - NKK 249

42.689USD. Marked up, but not as badly.

Spain
Fnac.es - EUR 27.45

34.454USD. Marked up.

Sweden
CDON.se - SEK 349.00

52.42USD. Wow.

Webhallen.com - SEK 299.00

44.91USD. Marked up.

United Kingdom
Amazon.co.uk - GBP 19.99

30.14. VAT means mark-down.

Zavvi.com - GBP 21.25

32.039USD. Marked down.

It is quoting £15.80 for UK.

Gaming Dragon are US based and the rates are ex-VAT for EU.

According to HMRC, they should have and charge for VAT if their business in the UK exceeds £70K pa. Also, if the goods exceed £15 you should have to pay import VAT on it, but that may not apply to software services rather than a physical product, and excise charges if it is over £135.

I suspect that Steam are VAT registered, so Gaming Dragons should be cheaper than them.

Ordered from Gaming Dragons with the discount code £15.25. That price isn't going to be beat between now and release.

Do you guys know if the Gaming Dragons key is going to be US-based or also location specific?

probably location specific. at least they gave me the non-US release date as my "shipping" date. does it say july 9th if you order from US?

Today the new in the Netherlands told the Free Record Shop is bankrupt. I pre-ordered the game there so I hope I get either the game or the money back. I'd advise people not to pre-order on this site until the fate of the shop is known. I already have sent a mail asking for the fate of my pre-order. I'll let you know when I've news.

A quick comparison of the prices (at May 23rd prices, with 29.99USD being used as the baseline for price): :)

Canada
Amazon.ca - CAD 29.99
EBGames.ca - CAD 29.99

29.021USD. Very slight mark down.

Wow; them listing fixed prices in Canada results in counter-intuitive results. The dollar being worth slightly more than the Canadian dollar has resulted in this discount.
Also, it may be worth noting that since pre-orders usually aren't charged against the credit card until the official release date that all these prices in terms of US dollars will change daily until they get locked into to whatever the exchange rate happens to be on July 9th/12th. If the US dollar strengthens more, all these prices in terms of US dollars goes down while if the US dollar weakens, all these prices in terms of the dollar rises.

Wow; them listing fixed prices in Canada results in counter-intuitive results. The dollar being worth slightly more than the Canadian dollar has resulted in this discount.
Also, it may be worth noting that since pre-orders usually aren't charged against the credit card until the official release date that all these prices in terms of US dollars will change daily until they get locked into to whatever the exchange rate happens to be on July 9th/12th. If the US dollar strengthens more, all these prices in terms of US dollars goes down while if the US dollar weakens, all these prices in terms of the dollar rises.

I thought about stating that because of the usual fluctuations of our dollars (today, it's 30.92CAD :lol:, but decided that I would just go ahead and use May 23rd prices :)

Top Bottom