Unit Maintenance

PrimoXanthous

~ knightmare13 ~
Don't know if somebody already post this but,
In some of my recent games I noticed that my 4 Musketman, 1 composite, 1 knight, 1 trebuchet and 3 workers cost 18+ maintenance, all of them are upgrade from their first upgrade line(musket from warriors, composite from archers, etc.) except for workers obcourse. Then i built another 5 muskets, a couple of knights and Trebuchet because im at war with everybody :lol:, but what i is notice that, i only got +1 gold maintenance for each of those new unit. My question is how did my first 10 units got a maintenance of 18+ gold? is this happen because most of them have upgraded from the earliest units? because they're Veterans? or its just another BUG? answers please.

Are you sure you only counted unit maintenance, or maybe you added building maintenance as well? Also, if you have a lot of Scouts, they cost maintenance as well. As do any unused GPs. Maybe even Caravans/Cargo ships.

Do you have any other noncombat units around? Great people, missionaries, etc?

Are you sure you only counted unit maintenance, or maybe you added building maintenance as well? Also, if you have a lot of Scouts, they cost maintenance as well. As do any unused GPs. Maybe even Caravans/Cargo ships.
Im sure that it was unit maintenance only, yeah i forgot i got 1 scout i think.
also, i got some few units, gifted by Militaristic CS but i delete them and i gift some to my allied CS. maybe those unit still take maintenance??.

Maintenance per unit increases with number of units and with time (as you may know if you hovered over the unit maintenance number; also shows cost per unit). Trade units are not included. Deleted/destroyed units aren't either; pay attention and compare unit maint. before and after unit quantity changes.

Were you saying that with your building 7+ new units your maint. cost went up +1g EACH (from about 1.5 to about 2.5 gold)? I'd find it quite believable.

Upgrades and promotions do not contribute to maint. costs. Working as designed ... and yes, you could end up paying 7-9 gpt each towards the end of the game (so don't ignore your income).

If you garrisoned some units the total maintenance cost will go down.
In BNW hovering over "unit" in the big economic report will not only tell you how much each unit cost for maintenance, but also how many of your units are maintenance free.

Trade unit have no maintenance. I'm not certain about archeologists. But, garrisoned units (if you have the Tradition Oligarchy policy) are free. Look at the free units figure, move a military unit in or out of a city and watch the figure change.

Are units in the same era worth different maintenances?

Garrisoned units (with Oligarchy SP) and trade units cost nothing. EVERY other unit, military and other ... warrior, worker, settler, archeologist, modern armor, bomber, GDR, WHATEVER,
costs the same as every other unit on a given turn of the game. But procure another unit and that per-unit cost will increase (and will decrease by unit elimination), as it will just by letting turns past by.

--
I enjoy having city connection and trade route income being not much less than unit and building costs, but I don't require it (Prince difficulty). :D

Yeah, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to have unit maintenance not go up with the era, but remain the same cost as the era from which they belong in the tech tree. Why should my spearman become more expensive to maintain just because I developed Theology? It seems like an unnecessary punishment for advancing in tech. Now, if I upgrade him to a pikeman, then it makes sense to increase his maintenance cost.

Unit maintenance does not increase with tech advancement (in case you had that misunderstanding): It's just turns.

Call it bureaucracy, inflation, ...
Or a device designed to keep unit numbers down.

Unit maintenance does not increase with tech advancement (in case you had that misunderstanding): It's just turns.

Call it bureaucracy, inflation, ...
Or a device designed to keep unit numbers down.

Oh? Do you know the actual formula? When does it go up? If the system is such that the unit maintenance simply doubles from 1 :c5gold: per unit to 2 :c5gold: on some arbitrary turn, I still think it makes more sense to have unit maintenance go with the era of the original unit, and don't think that would be too hard to program.

Top Bottom