The Great Artist/Writer with No Name

Catawumpus

Chieftain
I encountered this situation over the weekend. Playing on a TS location Earth map with 22 civs and at about the Industrial era I start getting Great Artists and Writers that have no name and option to have them add to a great work slot is not available. I am a little perplexed. Some thoughts ran through my head. Some of these were generated with Faith but as the game progressed I do not think I received a named artist again. I definitely had slots, I was going cultural so I had tons of museums, opera houses, etc and by the end of the game I had a huge number of empty great works slots.

It made me wonder if perhaps because of the high number of civs still alive by this era (it was a generally peaceful game) we had tapped the well and all great artists were taken so we could no longer generate great works. Is that possible? Anyone else encounter this?

Yes, hilariously amount of epople have reported this bug.

Hopefully the fix is in the works (I'd be hoenstly surprised if it wasn't)

There's only about, 50? 60? 70? indvidiual works for each type (Art, Literature, Music), and once they are all used there's nothing more to create (I checked, ther'es only 71 musician spresent).

The game has 70-some Great Artists included in it, and once all of them are used it will just generate generic "Great Artist" units that can only create Golden Ages because there is no Great Work associated with them.

Myself and Xboxfanatic77 are both working on mods to alleviate this issue. I also believe we are both getting quite close to completing them. My mod will include over 80 more fully functional Great Artists (more than doubling the total) and another 50 Great Writers, and Xboxfanatic77's has 20-some of each Artists, Writers and Musicians. (as another plus, we have also ensured that our mods are unique from each other, and we have no duplicate Great People, so it will be beneficial to have both!)

I'm just in the testing phases right now, and finishing working out bugs, but I'd expect I will be able to release a beta in the next week or two. I will likely make a post in the Creation & Customization forum when it's ready to go. :)

The game has 70-some Great Artists included in it, and once all of them are used it will just generate generic "Great Artist" units that can only create Golden Ages because there is no Great Work associated with them.

Myself and Xboxfanatic77 are both working on mods to alleviate this issue. I also believe we are both getting quite close to completing them. My mod will include over 80 more fully functional Great Artists (more than doubling the total) and another 50 Great Writers, and Xboxfanatic77's has 20-some of each Artists, Writers and Musicians. (as another plus, we have also ensured that our mods are unique from each other, and we have no duplicate Great People, so it will be beneficial to have both!)

I'm just in the testing phases right now, and finishing working out bugs, but I'd expect I will be able to release a beta in the next week or two. I will likely make a post in the Creation & Customization forum when it's ready to go. :)

Way to advertise your mod :lol:

I'm pretty sure Firaxis is going to fix this issue in the Fall Patch anyway.

Way to advertise your mod :lol:

I'm pretty sure Firaxis is going to fix this issue in the Fall Patch anyway.

Hey, it's directly related to the thread topic :lol:

edit - to justify myself further, I have never made a mod before and I have put a ****ton of hours into it, so heck yeah, I am pretty proud of it and am not afraid to let people know about it if it's appropriate. ;)

Even with that mod you can still run out of GWs (on a Huge map with 43 civs)... Perhaps you could add like 999 'Generic Great W/A/M #xxx' after the named GWAMs run out. Even if it's not possible, kudos for making the mod. :)

Maybe so, but it's better than NOT having another 50 Writers and 80+ Artists. ;)

The issue with adding Generic Artists and Writers is that the game doesn't "tack on" newly added units to the end of the list, it randomizes the full list and mixes them in. So throughout the game you'd be getting random Generic units, which in my mind would also spoil a lot of the fun - part of it is seeing what new Great Work you'll be getting.

If there is a way to change the game so that it would not use the Generics until the end, unfortunately I do not know it. That goes much more in-depth than simply adding more information. It is a wonderful idea though, and I agree that it would be ideal.

Top Bottom