What?...

Mattygerst

Prince
What is the deal here??...

All this talk of people re-dedicating to this mod after done with school, etc., has seemed to have gone nowhere.

Whats the OFFICIAL point we're at with this mod?

Does it work? Will it work? Are we still getting too many errors? Are these errors able to be fixed? Do we have people that know how to fix these errors?

Is the mod going to run as planned - with all the civs, etc?...

Whats the deal? There are tidbits of rambling here and there, but no one really knows what is going on at this point.

What are the answers to those above questions?...Is this going to happen, or it is looking like Civ5 will be out before this ever actually gets released in a working format?

Dear Mattygerst,

I completely agree. It's fair to say that this is a free toy from people I don't know, never met, and will probably never meet. I expect nothing from them and would be grateful for anything they deliver.

I'm sure you feel the same; or maybe close.

Personally, I've lost interest in CIV IV. The lack of scenarios/mods and the abundance of core game features (religion, corporations, etc.) has made this more like playing in SPSS or SAS. Honestly, I'm enjoying the Xbox 360 CIV a lot!

What is the deal here??...

All this talk of people re-dedicating to this mod after done with school, etc., has seemed to have gone nowhere.

Whats the OFFICIAL point we're at with this mod?

Does it work? Will it work? Are we still getting too many errors? Are these errors able to be fixed? Do we have people that know how to fix these errors?

Is the mod going to run as planned - with all the civs, etc?...

Whats the deal? There are tidbits of rambling here and there, but no one really knows what is going on at this point.

What are the answers to those above questions?...Is this going to happen, or it is looking like Civ5 will be out before this ever actually gets released in a working format?
Please, there's no need for this. I'm still busy with school - there's no way around that - and for much of the free time I have, I've got to revise or practise or work. I thought I was giving this a bit of a kick when I uploaded the new version of the mod to the SVN (now based on RevDCM). Yes, there are still errors that need to be worked out, but I need help with that.

Officially, I have no idea where we're at. A lot of people have done a lot of work, but I've seen very little of it actually come through. I have Bahmo's civics and the work that was done on civs, but not much else. If anyone reading this has anything to upload, please tell me, or send it to me, or just say that you're still working on it. I can't do this alone.

Does it work? Not really. Will it work? Yes, if I get help. The errors are many, but most are very, very easy XML fixes. Anyone with 5 minutes to boot the game can fix them.
What is the hold up with this?
Can no-one provide a 60 civ dll?
Has anyone been allocated to deal with this?
Who is project managing the project now?
Are we to assume that DVS has abandoned this?
If so can Niknaks drive this through?

We desperately need someone who knows how to do the technical engineering to grab this mod by the scruff of the neck and drive it through.

Sorry for stating the obvious and beleive me i wish i was a modder, but this mod is such a great idea and so much work has been done it would be a shame to let it fal to pieces. The nature of voluntary global internet based work is that no-one owes anyone anything and it can be hard to communicate, but we are crying out for an able modder amongst the team to drive this through.

If anyone feels like me and knows how to provide a 60 civ dll can they please do so?

Come on!
Without the work of others to add, I have no idea how much is going to be in the next release. That's the hold-up. I need people to upload their stuff. If I've missed it, I apologize, but I'm sure I've got almost everything I can find. The 60-civ DLL is a relatively minor thing compared to the issue of collecting the work. I'm sure Genghis will be able to work with the new version I've uploaded, which is built for 50.

Not that it's in any way official, but I'm running the mod in DVS' absence, whenever I have a spare minute. I'm sure he hasn't abandoned this. Like me, he's probably being crushed by work as well. Cut him some slack, please.

So, where are we? Nowhere, unless other people, who do have time and who can work on this help. As I've said, unless you can wait for years, I can't do this alone. Help me out here, guys.

hiatus agreed, life has been really hectic recently and I just haven't had the wherewithall to get down to some serious stats collection and collating. I will be back on the job soon, sorry guys :(

EDIT: I know for a fact UK schools are still here and in GCSE\A-Level exam time, some uni courses still going too

What the hell happened to DVS, first of all?...

And NikNaks...there was no "no need for this" type of criticism going on. Re-read my post...it was simply a series of questions trying to see exactly where we were.

When you say that you can't do this on your own and you need the stuff you need...what exactly do you need?

What is a list of things you DO have...things you CAN get done and working, yourself? And what is the list of things you NEED from others to implement?...

I only see a "I can't do this on my own." Well, that is the point of this. What is the deal? What is it exactly that you DO have, and what do you NEED? From the ideas we had in place...what things are just not going to be in the mod?...etc.

Answer that and maybe we can get back on track with getting things together and figuring out what exactly is needed.

Perhaps the biggest problem here is the excessive amount of different countries in the scenario at the same time. I know of no other scenario whatsoever, in any mod, that does that, and that's why my own plan for this sort of thing was decidedly different. What we need is somebody who can do more than just XML editing; he needs to alter the game on a deeper level to make this work.

Nice to see a tiny isle of good news, but it's still in a sea of bad news. I am horrified by how slow this mod is moving, especially since it's so needed.

Not that I'm just complaining gratuitously. I am on vacation now, and would be glad to help finish another aspect of the mod if I can. Problem is, I probably can't. Recently I tried to mod traits and failed, for some odd reason. That bugged me a lot.

Re-emphasizing my post to NikNaks:

What the hell happened to DVS, first of all?...

And NikNaks...there was no "no need for this" type of criticism going on. Re-read my post...it was simply a series of questions trying to see exactly where we were.

When you say that you can't do this on your own and you need the stuff you need...what exactly do you need?

What is a list of things you DO have...things you CAN get done and working, yourself? And what is the list of things you NEED from others to implement in order to get ALL of the ideas we wanted to implement into the mod?...

I only see a "I can't do this on my own." Well, that is the point of this. What is the deal? What is it exactly that you DO have, and what do you NEED? From the ideas we had in place...what things are just not going to be in the mod because we cannot simply accomplish it in terms of getting someone to make the game do something we wanted it to do?...etc.

Answer that and maybe we can get back on track with getting things together and figuring out what exactly is needed.

Sometimes it's best to know when to let something go. IMHO, this mod is dead, just like the WWII mod that someone is working on. Perhaps, CIV's time has come and gone.

i don't want to give up on this. i may have only come across this recently but i have been wanting something like this for ages. I think that we just need to simplify things for now.

top priority is the map, and i know Kai needs the 60 civ DLL thing needs to be done before that and we need a working mod before that. so for now we could just borrow the techs from ROM (unless we already have them done), ignore UU's and UB's (alot of little errors there atm), ignore all the cool features that will eventually make this mod awesome and go with a giant Earth map with modern civs in their locations, with a modern+ tech tree, and anything ellse we have dpne that isnt packed with little errors.

i dont know if this is sensible but if we hold all the cool bits back for now, it sounds like a fairly simple mod to make.
but i havent made a group mod before so feel free to tell me this is a dumb idea.

Nah, this mod isn't dead, I think its just gotten too big for itself. I remember back when we where wondering if the game would work if it held 40 civs, but now we're nearing 60 (if not there already) which I believe is just ridiculous. If we cut back on some of the more complicated stuff and simplify it a teeny bit I think we could get this mod out before the end of summer.

What I think we really need to do now is put out a list (as Mattygerst is saying) of priorities and things that still need to be accomplished. Once we do that, we need find people who have the time to do those things and put this thing together.

Mattygerst, no one knows what has happened to DVS. He told us he was buried under exams and never came back, maybe his computer broke, maybe he abandoned us. We will never know for sure unless he posts again. For now, we will just have to chug ahead without him.

Once again, since its summer I can try and do anything that is needed for this mod. I (and the rest of the team) just need to know what there is still left to do.

Are you saying we should go back to having 40 civs?
as for a list my post above states
UU's and UB's (almost done)
Tech Tree (don't know if done)
Wonders, National Wonders and Projects (done i think)
Civ's (done isnt it?)
Ideoligies (don't know if done)
Corporations (don't know if done)
Completed Map (needs all of above)

i don't know what the weapon liscensing thing is all about but is that already done and working? if not we can leave it out for now.

Nah, I'm just saying we should cut back just a little, because this mod is becoming, really, really, big. Oh and tech tree I'm pretty sure is done. Wonders I'm not totally sure about. Civs (hopefully ;)) are done. Ideologies I (once again) not totally sure about, I haven't been following that thread at all. Corporations were done a while ago. And finally the map is nearing completion by Genghis Kai, he just needs to place Ideologies I think...

Oh, I didn't know, well at least he has a lot of the map done (he showed us pics a while ago).

Alright...

So...60 civ DLL is up next. Who do we have that can work on that and get it done?

After that, making sure and checking thru the UU/UB/Wonders would be next. Idealogies I read were done (outside of being implemented?). I know we "knew" what the corportations where going to be...only thing was changing their names/graphics and their bonuses. All of this seems simple enough, at the moment, except the 60 civ DLL.

Who do we have that can get this done? NikNaks?...

Take it one thing at a time together. Those with the mod & knowledge...check that list above and see what is and isn't officially done. Then list what is needed, and we'll take it one step at a time.

Top Bottom