7 new screenshots and more information emerges from GDC (8th March 2012)

anyone else notice that Atilla's Court was not the capital?

maybe the huns don't have a capital city?

(Ahem, clears throat) The Huns were the ones driving all those puny German and Teutonic (as the Goths were from modern Sweden) tribes before them in terror out of their homelands and into the territory of the decaying Roman Empire. The Huns, therefore, were the major cause of the fall of the Empire in the West.

They also brought with them a military innovation in the laminated bow they fired from horseback, putting much more power behind the arrow. They were able to do so on the basis of another innovation - the stirrup - that they also introduced to the clueless and backwards Europeans, barbarian or civilized.

Language? Just have them speak HUNgarian :) Yes the Magyars were a different people, but they came in on the same script - from central Asia, on horseback, invading terror, non- Indo-European language, yada, yada. And they likely bore some linguistic relation to their Hunnish predecessors.

And Attila is a modern Hungarian name in use.

But who ended up ruling the territory in the Western Roman Empire? Germanic peoples.

Here's a secondhand description of him by Jordanes:
Short of stature, with a broad chest and a large head; his eyes were small, his beard thin and sprinkled with grey; and he had a flat nose and tanned skin, showing evidence of his origin.

Seems Attila looked more "Asian" than "European"
Would be really funny if they made Attila very European in look. With red hair, blue eyes etc.

Apparently the Huns were a multiethnic confederation of tribes, there was a purported "Hunnic" language spoken along with Latin, Gothic, "Scythian" (I assume Iranian),

Here are the prominent linguistic theories: Turkic, Indo-European (because the three recorded "Hunnic words" (medos, kamos, strava) seem more like Indo-European words than Turkic, Uralic (based more on legends), Xiongnu (which is unknown),

So possible language choices for Attila would be
Chuvash (Oghur Turkic, related to Bulgar, Khazar, Turkic Avar, which are all extinct)
A Slavic language
A Germanic language (Gothic???)
A Iranian language
Hungarian (seems more likely this will be the choice, thought I highly doubt the Hunnic language was related to Magyar)
possibly Mongolian
or a Turkic language which has more speakers than Chuvash (like Kazakh, Uzbek, Turkmen)

I really find the Huns an unnecessary addition to the game, prolly chosen for gameplay value and Attila's fame

Oh c'mon Firaxis, put Great Moravia in. Please!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Moravia
Spoiler :

Not that bad idea. Even though the "empire" lasted for a very short period in time, it could be interesting. But as we will have the Huns in G&K, I do not see chance for their inclusion unfortunately (just like Khazars, Romania(Vlad Tepes) and perhaps Hungary) as they controlled pretty much the same area.

I have been looking for a complete/good idea for a Civ from former Yugoslavia area as I think it deserves to be noted. If someone can come up with leader + all uniques concept I'd gladly add it to the Civ5 Civilizations/Leaders Wanted! list. :)

Perhaps though from the region Dacians ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Dacia ) would be the strongest choice. They just fell a bit in the category of "interesting but not that important" like Sarmatians and Scythians. Hittites on the other hand I feel are way too undervalued. Being the first Civilization to develop Iron Working should be a major bonus for them. They kept the secret of Iron for a long time and thus secured their Empire and had valuable iron trading items. When their empire eventually fell, the secret of iron working spread to other nations.

I really find the Huns an unnecessary addition to the game, prolly chosen for gameplay value and Attila's fame

That is the ONLY reason to choose a Civ for the game. You can have the most historically accurate potrayal of a civ possible, but if it's not fun to play, it's not successful.

We don't know whether it's the capital or not; Attila's Court is under Carthaginian occupation in the shot (notice the puppet icon).

Kind of funny that they show off a new (presumably) warmonger civ with their capitol lost.

That is the ONLY reason to choose a Civ for the game. You can have the most historically accurate potrayal of a civ possible, but if it's not fun to play, it's not successful.

Fine, let's have the Klingons in the next DLC.

Well, Russia is in the game and even then, the Kievan Rus', the Bulgarian Empire, and Poland are all arguably more significant Slavic entities to include. (Re-iterate Poland if you were talking specifically about under-representation of West Slavic).

Cultural impact of Great Moravia is huge. There is still cyrilic scrypt (and azbuka) in many country (Russia, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia/Hercegovina,...) Religion with reference to saint Cyril and Method from that ages is still dominant here and people still know who was Mojmir or Svatopluk (king of Great Moravia). Great Moravia was slavic monarchy. A big milestone for all slavs from north (Poland) to south (Croatia), from west (Bohemia) to east (Ukraine). Just look at few Great Moravia cities like: Bratislava, Nitra, Mikucice, Olomouc, Znojmo, Velehrad, Strigonium,... I think slavic people deserve a representative in this game. There are Shonghai, Zulu (Civ1 ~ Civ4), Polynesia, Khmer (Civ4), so why not first big slavic monarchy?

Hi everyone, I'm back and in my new house. Good to see that the thread's still going strong ;).

Is that Attila in the Gods & Kings poster behind Ed Beach? I'm presuming the other character is Boudicca!

Good find. I'd say that's almost definitely Attila. I can't see who else it could be.

Cultural impact of Great Moravia is huge. There is still cyrilic scrypt (and azbuka) in many country (Russia, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia/Hercegovina,...) Religion with reference to saint Cyril and Method from that ages is still dominant here and people still know who was Mojmir or Svatopluk (king of Great Moravia). Great Moravia was slavic monarchy. A big milestone for all slavs from north (Poland) to south (Croatia), from west (Bohemia) to east (Ukraine). Just look at few Great Moravia cities like: Bratislava, Nitra, Mikucice, Olomouc, Znojmo, Velehrad, Strigonium,... I think slavic people deserve a representative in this game. There are Shonghai, Zulu (Civ1 ~ Civ4), Polynesia, Khmer (Civ4), so why not first big slavic monarchy?

I support the addition of at least one East European civ but be honest with yourself here, given the choice of:

Poland (1000+ year continuous cultural history, largest state in Europe for centuries, central to European history and culture in many ways)
Hungary
Lithuania
Bohemia
Bulgaria
Serbia
aaaaand... Great Moravia

what do you think they're going to choose? We'll both be lying in the cold, cold ground before you see the likes of Samo's kingdom and Csanad in a Civ title and Moravia falls into that category: an influential, significant but ultimately ephemeral state.

I support the addition of at least one East European civ but be honest with yourself here, given the choice of:

Poland (1000+ year continuous cultural history, largest state in Europe for centuries, central to European history and culture in many ways)
Hungary
Lithuania
Bohemia
Bulgaria
Serbia
aaaaand... Great Moravia

what do you think they're going to choose? We'll both be lying in the cold, cold ground before you see the likes of Samo's kingdom and Csanad in a Civ title and Moravia falls into that category: an influential, significant but ultimately ephemeral state.

Being of Polish descent, I've always hoped for a Polish civ, but they've always been overshadowed in the civ games by all the other European powers. I'll keep hoping, but the realist in me knows it's not likely. okay.jpg

I wasn't saying Great Moravia wasn't significant, I was just saying I believe the impact of the Kievan Rus', Bulgaria, and/or Poland was bigger than the impact of Great Moravia, which is arguably true. I would not mind seeing Great Moravia included, but after those other three get in. And again, Russia is slavic so there is representation (it's not true to say there is none). I agree there could and should be more. However, of the three slavic branches (even if you don't want to count Russia for whatever reason), again, East Slavic is better represented by the Kievan Rus; South Slavic by the Bulgarian Empire; and West Slavic by Poland.

Was browsing the thread.... not sure if this has been resolved yet.

EDIT: Well that's embarassing. Hundreds of hours of Civ and I never noticed other Civs' logos next to their city names. Still left wondering why there's a city called Attila's Court, then.

There's no logo on the left because it's your city. On the right, it's the enemy city.

Lmao it does. I think it may be just that actually. Good eye.

Edit: Nevermind, that's the Great Prophet.

Damn, that means i'm going to have to change my icons...can't have fat and skinny doves flying around the map at the same time, it'll get confusing.

Was browsing the thread.... not sure if this has been resolved yet.

EDIT: Well that's embarassing. Hundreds of hours of Civ and I never noticed other Civs' logos next to their city names. Still left wondering why there's a city called Attila's Court, then.
Because Attila's Court is a Hun city that was captured by Carthage; it's not a city-state. The elephant symbol on the right the the Carthage civ bage, not a city state type icon.

A captured city-state looks like this:

Top Bottom