Harry Turtledove's Alternate History WWI Development Thread

Meteor Man

Cylindropuntia imbricata
Wow, what a mouthful of a title. :D

Anyway...so here it is: the start of something NEW! And please try to correct me if this is in the wrong forum. Thanks Padma, or Turner, or whoever moderater that happens to move me if there is a problem.

This is the development thread for a new chain of scenarios...3 at least, mabey 4. Anyway let's start with some backround information on what the scenario is based on.

The title of the book that got me going is: The Great War: American Front. It is about an alternate history where the Union lost the Civil War, and the Confederacy became a new nation. These books were written by Harry Turtledove, considered the alternate history novelest of our day. Moreover, he has not only written these books, but a score of them, ranging from the Japanese bombing and invading of Pearl Harbor to the Civil War and WWII. Let's just say he's good at this stuff.

My first scenario will be the main one, entitled The Great War: Confederate Soveriegnty. This scenario will encompass the broad events happening in the Great War Trilogy.

Here is the list of Alternate History Novels Harry Turtledove has written, including a description of each one (all information from wikipedia)(be warned that this is a VERY long list):

Spoiler :
Elabon Books
Wereblood (1979) — using Eric Iverson pseudonym
Werenight (1979) — using Eric Iverson pseudonym
Prince of the North (1994)
King of the North (1996)
Fox and Empire (1998)

The Videssos Books
Fantasy series about a world that is analogous to the Byzantine Empire.

The Videssos Cycle
The Misplaced Legion: One of Julius Caesar's legions is transported to a world with magic. (1987)
An Emperor for the Legion (1987)
The Legion of Videssos (1987)
The Swords of the Legion (1987)
The Tale of Krispos Series
Krispos Rising (1991)
Krispos of Videssos (1991)
Krispos the Emperor (1994)
The Time of Troubles Series
The Stolen Throne (1995)
Hammer and Anvil (1996)
The Thousand Cities (1997)
Videssos Besieged (1998)
The Bridge of the Separator (2005)

Worldwar & Colonization Series
Sci-Fi/Alternate History — Aliens invade in the middle of World War II

Worldwar Tetralogy
In the Balance (1994)
Tilting the Balance (1995)
Upsetting the Balance (1996)
Striking the Balance (1996)
Colonization Trilogy
Second Contact (1999)
Down to Earth (2000)
Aftershocks (2001)
Homeward Bound (2004)

The Southern Victory or Timeline-191 Series

The cover of How Few Remain, the first book in the Timeline-191 seriesAlternate History — The South has won the American Civil War; this posits what would then happen over the next century. (The series consists of several smaller series and has no official title)

How Few Remain (1997)
The Great War Trilogy
American Front (1998)
Walk in Hell (1999)
Breakthroughs (2000)
The American Empire Trilogy
Blood and Iron (2001)
The Center Cannot Hold (2002)
The Victorious Opposition (2003)
The Settling Accounts Tetralogy
Return Engagement (2004)
Drive to the East (2005)
The Grapple (2006)
In at the Death (2007)

Darkness Series
A fantasy series about a world war between nations using magic as weapons. Many of the plot elements are analogous to elements of World War II, with countries and technologies that are comparable to the events of the real world, while the writing style is similar to Timeline-191.

Into the Darkness (1999)
Darkness Descending (2000)
Through the Darkness (2001)
Rulers of the Darkness (2002)
Jaws of the Darkness (2003)
Out of the Darkness (2004)

War Between the Provinces Series
A reversed fantasy version of the American Civil War, set in a world where magic significantly works. The industrial-magical south is fighting the rural north over the blond serfs.

Sentry Peak (2000)
Marching Through Peachtree (2001)
Advance and Retreat (2002)

Hellenic Traders Series
A historical fiction series about two cousins who are traveling merchants in the fourth century BC Mediterranean. The novels were written under the H.N. Turteltaub pseudonym.

Over the Wine Dark Sea (2001)
The Gryphon's Skull (2002)
The Sacred Land (2003)
Owls to Athens (2004)

Crosstime Traffic Series
This series is based on the premise that travel between parallel universes is possible. This is a series for young adults. Turtledove makes sure not to use any profanity or racial slurs in this series.

Gunpowder Empire (2003)
Curious Notions (2004)
In High Places (2006)
The Disunited States of America (2006)
The Gladiator (2007)
The Valley-Westside War (2008)

The Infamy Duology
Alternate History — The Japanese have gained the initiative in the Pacific War by invading and occupying Hawaii.

Days of Infamy (2004)
End of the Beginning (2005)

The Atlantis Series
An as yet unfinished trilogy of books which describes a world where the American eastern coast from the tip of Florida to New Brunswick breaks away from the mainland millions of years in the past and has an island biota similar to New Zealand's. Discovered in 1453 and named Atlantis, this eighth continent becomes a focal point in a gradually diverging timeline. At least two short stories, "Audubon in Atlantis" and "The Scarlet Band" have been set in this milieu.

Opening Atlantis (2007)
The United States of Atlantis (2008)

The Gap
Beyond the Gap (2007) - Inhabitants of an Iron Age empire explore a land uncovered by a receding glacier
Breath of God (2008) - continuation of Beyond the Gap, forthcoming in October 2008

Stand-alone Books
Agent of Byzantium (1987) — Imperial Byzantine special agent Basil Argyros is sent on various missions in an alternate universe where Muhammad became a Christian saint and consequently the Byzantine Empire never fell.
A Different Flesh (1988) — a related set of short stories spanning the 17th to 20th centuries set in a universe where the ancestors of the Native Americans never crossed into the New World, only Homo erectus.
Noninterference (1988) — A human interstellar survey team violates a directive to avoid interference with alien civilizations, with disastrous long-term consequences.
Kaleidoscope (1990) — short story collection
A World Of Difference (1990) — In this alternative history story, the 4th planet of our solar system is larger and named Minerva instead of Mars. The Viking space probe of the 1970s sends back one picture — that of an alien creature swinging a stick — before losing contact. A USA mission and a USSR mission are sent to explore the planet; these two missions start separately but later have to cooperate.
Earthgrip (1991)
The Guns of the South (1992) Sci-Fi/Alternate History — The Confederate Army is supplied with AK-47's by time travelling members of the Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging from the early 21st century.
The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump (1993) — EPA agent David Fisher battles displaced magical powers in a very creative sorcerous equivalent to late-20th century Los Angeles. He follows the evidence to a toxic spell dump, where dangerous remnants of industrial sorcery are stored.
Departures (1993) — short story collection
Down in the Bottomlands (1993) — At the end of the Miocene period, the Mediterranean Sea stays dry to the present day. The dry sea basin is a large canyon containing a national park, and the hero must race to stop villains from letting in the Atlantic and flooding the area.
The Two Georges (1995) Alternate History/Mystery, co-authored with Richard Dreyfuss — Set in the year 1996 of an alternate timeline where the American Revolution was peacefully avoided. The painting that symbolizes the union between North America and Britain is stolen by terrorists, and officers of the Royal North American Mounted Police must find it before it is destroyed.
Thessalonica (1997) — Early Christians in the Greek city of Thessalonica deal with barbarian invaders on both a physical and metaphysical level.
Between the Rivers (1998) — Taking place in an equivalent to ancient Mesopotamia, city-states ruled by different gods fight for dominance.
Justinian (1998) — Fictionalized account (with some speculation involved) of the life of the Byzantine Emperor Justinian II -- using H.N. Turteltaub pseudonym
Household Gods (1999) — co-written with Judith Tarr Sci-Fi/Alternate History — A modern female lawyer finds herself in the Roman Empire of Marcus Aurelius.
Counting Up, Counting Down (2002) — short story collection
The Daimon (2002) - A novella included in the alternate history collection Worlds That Weren't. It describes a world where the Greek philosopher Socrates aids the Athenian general Alkibiades in defeating the Spartans, allowing him to unite the city-states of ancient Greece and contemplate war on the Persian Empire.
Ruled Britannia (2002) Alternate History — The Spanish Armada conquers England and forces Shakespeare to write a play about Philip II. At the same time he is secretly writing a play for the English underground resistance about Boudica's rebellion, with Boudica meant to be analogous to the imprisoned Elizabeth I.
In the Presence of Mine Enemies (2003) Alternate History — Follows the struggles of a family of secret Jews in Berlin two or three generations after a Nazi victory in World War II. The events in the story follow a common theme of Turtledove's work, transplanting one set of historical events into another setting (the most prominent example being Timeline-191 moving European history onto the American continent). In this case, the decline of the Soviet Union in the 1990s is translated to the Third Reich in the 21st century.
Conan of Venarium (2004) a tale set in the youth of Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian.
Every Inch a King (ISFiC Press) (2005) An acrobat becomes king of a small country. Although set in a fantasy world, it is analogous to the real world, this time in the Balkans, between the first and second Balkan War. Shqiperi is modeled on Albania, and the story itself is modeled on the story of Otto Witte.
Fort Pillow (2006) - Historical retelling of the Battle of Fort Pillow.
The Man with the Iron Heart (2008) - Reinhard Heydrich survives an assassination in Czechoslovakia by partisans and later goes on to lead an insurgent movement against the allied occupation of Germany.
After the Downfall (2008) - A Wehrmacht officer is transported into a fantasy world during the Russian invasion of Germany at the end of World War II.

Since this is a development thread, no files will be uploaded, and feel free to give me any suggestions, constructive criticizims, ravings, help, suggestions, ect.

Also note that I already have the perfect map for the first scenario, though I will need a map of northern Mexico that includes much of the United States.
(This is for all you adventurous map-makers out there.)

Thanx,
MM:cool:

Since this is a development thread, no files will be uploaded, and feel free to give me any suggestions, constructive criticizims, ravings, help, suggestions, ect.

Also note that I already have the perfect map for the first scenario, though I will need a map of northern Mexico that includes much of the United States.
(This is for all you adventurous map-makers out there.)

Thanx,
MM:cool:

Personally I would suggest combining all the Timeline 191 books so it covers the first and second world wars. What map do you have btw?

On the odd chance you missed THIS THREAD.

Happy Modding,

Oz

I have and downloaded all of the units relative to this scenario. Thanks anyway. (Awsome units made by Wyrmshadow)

Personally I would suggest combining all the Timeline 191 books so it covers the first and second world wars. What map do you have btw?

I have one made in 2003 by Cantankerous. It has all of the US in its sights. Awsome map. Right now I hope to finish this scenario first and then move on to the others. Frankly, I think that encompassing both would be too much stuff, and I might as well add all of Europe. Remeber that this is my first BIG project so I will take it slow. You think you can help me with that map of northern Mexico?

I have one made in 2003 by Cantankerous. It has all of the US in its sights. Awsome map. Right now I hope to finish this scenario first and then move on to the others. Frankly, I think that encompassing both would be too much stuff, and I might as well add all of Europe. Remeber that this is my first BIG project so I will take it slow. You think you can help me with that map of northern Mexico?

Northern Mexico is included in that 160 x 130 map I used the forum search and found the map made that you mentioned. I would slightly enlarge that map however because you need a bit more of Canada and Mexico and it would be advisable to also have Cuba for the Confederacy. The size on that map would lend itself nicely to also make the Mississippi and Ohio rivers navigable and much better barriers so invading the Confederacy or United States would be more challenging. Looking at the map are you planning to make this for PTW or conquests because the original map is a bix.

Adding all of Europe would be very difficult and I do not think it would be advisable. It would detract from the main area of emphasis. Also for gameplay having a route to be able to access the Great Lakes from the Atlantic would be a nice twist. I do not think that adding in the Second World War years would be too much unless you are planning to use weeks as your base time frame. By using months you would get 240 turns for a 20 year period. Of course since you are creating this it is your decision.

I could make a fast bmp to biq of northern Mexico however that would be one boring map to play in C3C.

I was able to change the map to a biq, and I made the Mississippi river a waterway to that gunboats and transports can navigate it. It stretches from the Gulf of Mexico to the Great Lakes, so that's pretty cool, except you have to cross the Mississippi using a transport or something. This is another time in which I could have bridges span a waterway...

I gave both Canada and the Confederacy a lot more cities, CSA's in Sonora and Canada's along the North. I also added a railway running from Winnipeg to Calgary.

I will use weeks for the time frame. It is easier, and I am planning on making a later scenario on WWII.

If you think that you could make a playable map of Northern Mexico, please do. I need ons to go into depth on the Battles in Sonora.

As for inlarging, how do I do that? Is there an easy way or do I have to recreate the entire map?

[...] except you have to cross the Mississippi using a transport or something. This is another time in which I could have bridges span a waterway...

I'd recommend simply using New Orleans, Vicksburg, Memphis, Cairo et.al. as "bridges" and use the "No-Raze" patch.

Best,

Oz

I'd recommend simply using New Orleans, Vicksburg, Memphis, Cairo et.al. as "bridges" and use the "No-Raze" patch.

Best,

Oz

But then ships could not freely pass through the Mississippi without first capturing the cities. :confused:

UPDATE:

Map is finished though resources till need to be accuratley placed for both gameplay and history. I will post a screenshot:

The file takes a while to load, be patient! :p

Attachments

• WWI Screenie.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 107
I was able to change the map to a biq, and I made the Mississippi river a waterway to that gunboats and transports can navigate it. It stretches from the Gulf of Mexico to the Great Lakes, so that's pretty cool, except you have to cross the Mississippi using a transport or something. This is another time in which I could have bridges span a waterway...

As for inlarging, how do I do that? Is there an easy way or do I have to recreate the entire map?
A city will act as a bridge. Use the map tweaker utility to enlarge maps I allready downloaded that map enlarged it to 200 x 200 and saved it as a biq. The Mississippi actually runs along the western border of Wisconsin when you get that far north. I was thinking something like the St Lawrence Seaway or Erie Canal to open the Great Lakes to the Atlantic.

Best,

Oz
That would be the best way to create the choke points and have the AI follow the invasion route detailed in the books. The AI is not good at amphibious operations.
But then ships could not freely pass through the Mississippi without first capturing the cities. :confused:
That is correct it would make controlling those cities that much more important strategically and even the AI would figure that out.

The Landmass of Mexico and Canada above and below the Old map is now ocean and needs to be filled in and I nudged it slightly to the right so Alaska should fit (I hope). In the books they specifically mention that the Panama Canal did not get built so I was thinking maybe a northern route between oceans would work.
The map now has room to include the war in Canada and Sonora with English and Mexican Allies. The United States stands alone but then in the books the Germans never sent men to fight in North America.

Attachments

• Timeline 191.zip
    48.1 KB · Views: 88
I also forgot to mention looking at your screenshot if you place (plains tiles) just right mixed with grassland it will make the river look much more narrow. Also you really do need to choke off the southern end of the Mississippi river making New Orleans a bridge city so that the US cannot enter there without taking the city.

I have and downloaded all of the units relative to this scenario. Thanks anyway.

A simple mention of the only guy that has made any of them, infact all of them like: "The hard part of getting unique units has already been taken care of. Now comes the relatively easy part of just sorting out the numbers."

Otherwise I just feel hurt.

Sorry, Wyrm. I would definetly have included you in the credits when I do release the scenario, but sorry for that. Seriously.

And you are right. Thank you very much for these wonderful, awsome units.

@ BadKarma:

Wow. That's all I can say for the map. I still think that the map is a little big for this, though I may inlarge it for the next big WWII scenario that will surely come up. I will still download. I have also already gotten all the cities and roads/rails/mines/irrigation set to my liking, so this may screw it up. Thanks anyway.

Also, I will do as you said and try to make the Mississippi River seem smaller by messing with the terrain around it. New Orleans will also be changed, thanks.

UPDATE!!!

I have decided to add both WWI and WWII in this scenario, as I find that there are the perfect # of eras: War of Succession, Second Mexican War, World War I, and World War II. 4 eras. Hope you're happy, BadKarma. :p

Top Bottom