Things we'd like to see in MOO2Civ

Agent327

Observer
BUG/BAT has been mentioned.;)

Great People list:

Here's the full list of Great People so far, for a grand total of 63 people I also changed Kimbuzzi's and Xantus' titles better fit with their original titles.

Great Artists
Dave Lawell
Deon of Petersburg
John Deane
Jon Shafer
Ken Burd
NCC Savage
Sid Meier
Soren Johnson
Steve Barcia

Great Engineers
Admiral Tellik
Caern the Tulosian Mercenary
Claw the Klackon Taskmaster
Felina the Naturalist
Houri the Environmentalist
Kimbuzzi the Agrarian
Khunagg the Ruthless
Sparky the Meklar Cybernaut
Torg the Overlord

Great Merchants
Galis the Financier
Galin the Rogue Trader
Grogg the Gnolam Capitalist
Kher the Smuggler
Lydon the Noble
Slag the Armsdealer
V'Larr the Independent Trader

Great Prophets
Cassandra the Elerian Mystic
Dark Lord Necron
Electra the High Priestess
Orphus the Peacemaker
Matrix the Cyber Mage
Tanus the Revolutionary
Xantus the Supreme

Great Scientists
Chug the Planetologist
Director Androgena
Director Brainac
Emo the Scientist
Gizmo the Gadgeteer
Kirsus, the Psilon Scientist
Urro the Ikarian Doctor

Great Spies
Arakhor the Courtier
Crassis the Overseer
Diablo the Cyber Marauder
Draxx the Spy Master
Ezixl of Klackon
Jeelen One-Eye
Tulock the Bounty Hunter

Great Generals
Altos the Alkari Pilot
Aquasarrious the Trilarian Navigator
Cyr the Fighter Ace
Grumm the Armsman
Hawk the Astrogator
Karg the Pirate
Kronos the Spacefarer
Loknar the Last Orion
Malovane the Battle Lord
Mukirr the Mrrshan Warrior
Nhagg the Armsmaster
Nile the Forsaken Warrior
Nimrazz the Master Tactician
Ruola the Weapons Officer
Skaine the Legend
Slith the Rebel Pilot
Tyranous the Sakkra Armsman

Full list in post #26.

... as has Blue Marble terrain. :)

Blue Marble mod seems compatible with MOO2Civ (apenpaap used it for his Star Trek Leaders modmod), but for some reason the following terrain types are being renamed when starting up a MOO2Civ game:
- Radiation cloud => Fallout
- Nebula => Ice
- Black hole (center) => Oasis.
I'm trying to fix this.

Jeelen, tell me when you have blue marble merged in, I might want to add that. Also, I saw in the patch thread that you had an issue with the barbs spawing PDS's. Couldn't you just set that unitclass to NONE in the XML?

General question, please forgive my ignorance, but what is BAT? I personaly would stay away from BUG until they can make it much more user friendly. I don't know what well over half of the options are and theres to help text. I don't really see it adding anything, but then again, I really don't play to win, but more just to try stuff out.

I want to see if I can get it in in the next patch (ran into some trouble getting it into Patch4i, which was announced to be released Saturday at the latest). I've seen BUG mod merged in a couple of mods and liked it, especially the 5% tech slider; as far as I know it's mostly in-game screen modification, which overall adds some flavour to the game, so that's quite alright IMO.

Thx for the tip as regards PDFs (had several now, so that should work out fine as well).;)

I'm happy enough to turn off the Cultural and Domination victories, but I really miss my regular cultural expansions. Could the culture-pops be put back to normal - my Psilon "empire" resembles nothing much more than a string of systems and intermittent starbases linked by fragile space-lanes!

As a corollary to this, perhaps we could have a themed Great Wall wonder which keeps pirates away from your fragile trade-lanes - or at the least, makes them ablative, dropping from fortified lanes to normal lanes to all-gone (rather like towns/villages).

Why not change the Human Ascendancy victory to the Antaran Assault? Once you've collected all the various parts to construct the Dimensional Gate and pierce the Antaran barrier, then you slip through and bomb their home world, winning the game by default :)

It would be nice to some help files installed and maybe the tech quotes replaced with something for Orion-ish. I'd be happy to help with the text if you want.

I noticed that you switched off Open Borders and removed penalties for refusing to swap techs or go to war. I approve entirely! I love the promotions and so on as well - great job!

It's also worth noting that on a play-through with the Star Trek mod on similar settings (FF flat, Large/Epic) I didn't get any lag, even when I was 200 or so turns into the game. The lag may come later, but so far the Trek mod is winning on the no-lag front :)

Oh, while I'm thinking about it, can we get some of those cloaked ships from the Trek mod to use as Darlok stealth ships or will that cause all the same problems with undefended Darlok worlds?

Great, creepy picture for Greymoran, incidentally :)

I'm happy enough to turn off the Cultural and Domination victories, but I really miss my regular cultural expansions. Could the culture-pops be put back to normal - my Psilon "empire" resembles nothing much more than a string of systems and intermittent starbases linked by fragile space-lanes!

You can still build Culture buildings without Cultural Victory in order to expand your borders.

As a corollary to this, perhaps we could have a themed Great Wall wonder which keeps pirates away from your fragile trade-lanes - or at the least, makes them ablative, dropping from fortified lanes to normal lanes to all-gone (rather like towns/villages).

There's no such thing in Master of Orion; also, the 'barbs' in MOO are always Antaran - which you're supposed to defeat.

Why not change the Human Ascendancy victory to the Antaran Assault? Once you've collected all the various parts to construct the Dimensional Gate and pierce the Antaran barrier, then you slip through and bomb their home world, winning the game by default :)

That's a great idea if it could be implemented - I agree totally. Unfortunately it's a bit beyond my current modding skills...

It would be nice to some help files installed and maybe the tech quotes replaced with something for Orion-ish. I'd be happy to help with the text if you want.

I welcome any help, so I'd really appreciate it.

I noticed that you switched off Open Borders and removed penalties for refusing to swap techs or go to war. I approve entirely! I love the promotions and so on as well - great job!

The credit for that should go to Minor Annoyance.

It's also worth noting that on a play-through with the Star Trek mod on similar settings (FF flat, Large/Epic) I didn't get any lag, even when I was 200 or so turns into the game. The lag may come later, but so far the Trek mod is winning on the no-lag front :)

OK, I can only repeat MOO2Civ has never been tested on anything but Normal speed. As is, Star Trek gives me more lag time than MOO2Civ, although lag times seem to have increased a bit with Patch4i.

Oh, while I'm thinking about it, can we get some of those cloaked ships from the Trek mod to use as Darlok stealth ships or will that cause all the same problems with undefended Darlok worlds?

I fear it might. Another idea might just be to move back access to Stealth Ships for the other races, while making it an (early) UU for the Darloks. This seems to me to be in line with MOO characteristics.

Great, creepy picture for Greymoran, incidentally

I think that's one of Deon's leaderheads.;)

Well, maybe Stealth ships should be the Darlok UU only for obvious reasons, but you also ensure that it can't defend - low attack maybe, no defensive bonuses and very fast and nimble.

Well, maybe instead of actually having to bomb the Antarans etc., you simply rename the victory condition and then install a game clip of the "bombed Antarans" ending as the victory video. Oh. and as you said on the Trek thread, definitely rename the pirates to Antarans :p

If you turn off culture-flipping and cultural victories, then culture means precisely one thing - exploitation of resources. (The AI will still attack if it wants to and not if it doesn't, so borders in that respect are irrelevant.) As much as I value the concept of starbases, I would like to be able to organically spread my borders (colonists and philosophers espousing my values, for instance) in addition to buildings and starbases.

You could also add Culture as an additional value and maybe even Growth/Exploration too. Extra values mean more differentiation of the aliens and provide for more tense diplomacy :)

The credit for that should go to Minor Annoyance.
Just the ones with capturing. Not that I haven't thought about other stuff for promotions, but one thing at a time.
Another idea might just be to move back access to Stealth Ships for the other races, while making it an (early) UU for the Darloks. This seems to me to be in line with MOO characteristics.
I thought of having the Stealth ship be a national unit limited to one for each empire, but have the Darlok version have no limit or a large limit. That might make for an odd situation where your limited to one of each version of stealth ships so you'd keep you're Stealth Ship I, with your Stealth Ship II and Stealth Ship III etc. because you'd actually be allowed one of each, although you couldn't rebuild an obsolete Stealth Ship.

Why does the MoO mod include space-lanes anyway? I understand that they were in the FF mod originally, but the Trek mod does away with them and simply allows you to trade over space after tech learning.

I agree that, for one, looks much better. I'd like to limit starlanes and hyperdrives/wormholes in a scenario eventually. (But for this Doomstars, Orion and the Antarans need steel to be implemented.)

I thought of having the Stealth ship be a national unit limited to one for each empire, but have the Darlok version have no limit or a large limit.

If I remember correctly, in MOO the Darloks have the ability to give any ship Stealth (so you can't even see them scouting). As is, that's probably too much, as Stealth ships currently can't be used as defenders.

In Star Trek however, they can defend, but not be attacked. (A seemingly empty system may be stacked with Cloaked ships - quite effective -, although they still can't conquer systems; the latter would probably too big an advantage.) Also, Star Trek uses Cloak/Stealth as a promotion; this might work - provided the Darloks start out with that promotion.

Well, just as the Darloks are master spies, you also give them the racial trait "Stealthy Ships" (which I think is identical to the Orion name), which automatically adds Stealth to almost all of their ships. (They still want some attacking ships obviously and some purely defensive things like armour probably shouldn't be able to move.)

On that note, why can Armour move when you research the tech that give all ships +1 Move? Can't you just move Armour into its own ship class and exclude that class from the bonus? Can we also have Armour with a U in the mod? :)

Also, do Elerians have their fabled omniscience in the game (reveal all tiles) or can that only be done via a scenario?

Why does the MoO mod include space-lanes anyway? I understand that they were in the FF mod originally, but the Trek mod does away with them and simply allows you to trade over space after tech learning.

Jump Gates which increase your ships speed between your colonies are available at the Sub-Space Physics technology so if it were to mimic the original, space-lanes which serve the same basic function, would be available there. It might be interesting to see roads be a somewhat advanced technology

Also, do Elerians have their fabled omniscience in the game (reveal all tiles) or can that only be done via a scenario?
The Elohim in FfH have an ability where they can see certain features from the start of the game. That could be adapted for this purpose. There is an easier way though. In the standard game when you research Satellites it reveals the whole map (although that's so late in the game it's not likely to matter). If you created a technology that couldn't be researched or traded, had the map reveal ability, and gave it to the Elerians as a starting tech then they would have omniscience, although not the part where they can see all the ships and colonies too.

Well, perhaps instead of being a technology, you could incorporate the effect into a racial trait. Just like you could give a Cloak upgrade automatically to all Darklok scouts and light fighters, you could give the Elerians this Satellite-variant racial trait. Shouldn't that be possible?

Regarding the trade-lanes, you could just remove them altogether until the Jump Gate technology is researched and then increase the effect of the lanes to, say, 1/5 movement speed. With three Construction Ships laying one tile a turn, you could have your Jump Gates "allowing" ships to move fairly fast!

The Star Gate technology (Physics X) could then allow trade-lane travel to consume 0 movement, like the railways in Civ II, to simulate the instant teleportation that the Star Gates provide.

The Star Gate technology (Physics X) could then allow trade-lane travel to consume 0 movement, like the railways in Civ II, to simulate the instant teleportation that the Star Gates provide.

Or a building with the airlift ability.

True, but the Star Gates in MoO allow unlimited travel. One ship a turn is fairly weak for would be a top-level tech!

Regarding the Darlok cloak, there may be a way to make that happen without making them defenceless.
In FfH2 the Elohim get the Homeland promotion which has effects that are dependant on whether the unit is in it's own territory or not. It may be possible to use that to have Darlok ships only be invisible outside their own boarders. That way they can still defend themselves but be able to make sneak attacks.
Some other ideas are to have all their ships have the 'can explore rival territory without triggering war' ability, or from FfH2 one of the effects of the Council of Esus, which is that units inside a rivals territory aren't kicked out when you declare war so you can be right next to your target, declare war, and not be moved.

After checking around for Orion images, I came across the Orion Empire site by Ezixl. He had quite large pictures of all the races, their spies/soldiers/scientists and even their banners, so I thought I'd include all the images I saved onto my machine in a zip file in case any of them are better quality than the ones you're using.

I've also included a text file which lists all the ruler names from Orion I & II and includes bios for each race (also from Ezixl's site). You could always use the ruler names as a system/city name bank for each race if you wanted to.

Finally, I've included some extracts from the game manual, dealing with races, race picks, mercenary leaders and, of course, all the tech descriptions!

Attachments

• MoO2 pictures.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 326
  • MoO2 races and names.txt
    20.1 KB · Views: 352
  • MOO2 manual extracts.txt
    93.2 KB · Views: 266
Top Bottom