New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Like BN1's Back to Our Roots (which desperately needs an update), where you can create a faction, and I just give you basic information, war is handled through description of battle strategy, and the whole thing is a lot more story-driven than stat-driven.

That sounds and looks like a decent way to go about it. I'd try to grab a detailed map of America or something rather than have a whole world focus, that way you could have stuff like very radiated spots (DC, LA, NY, etc. etc.), rivers (which should be important!) mountains, etc. etc.

The question is: How many of you would play it?

It's a start. I'm going to do a little more research into how much I'm willing to bend the canon of Fallout for the purposes of the NES, and into how I would do it, and start a pre-thread at some point in the future.

A pre-NES group may actually be more forum friendly >.> Just saying.

A couple of ideas for Worldwar-NES:

Aliens
  • Aliens are created by the players. They can decide how they are physically and which kind of technology they have (Do they make bio-based weaponry? Do their planes have fusion drives? Do their tanks hover?), of course, with limits so that the Aliens aren't über-powerful. Making them more or less humanoid would work quite well.
  • The Aliens' technological research is directed at furthering their knowledge of the planet they have landed in, adapting themselves to the environment, developing better settlements for the new members of their species as they come...
  • Their manpower starts small, to compensate for their technological advantage, and will require to build special settlements to protect their population, but as time passes more reinforcements will come and, once they control enough land, they may call for a colonization fleet that will increase their manpower enormously.
Natives
  • All Natives are the same species (human, for example). They would be at a technological level equal to that of our 1930s. There would be 2 or 3 alliances of nations that are in a war when the Aliens come. It'd be up to the Native nations to choose whether to stop the war and fight the Aliens together, continue to fight against the other Native nations, help the Aliens or a combination of all of them.
  • Natives' technological research is directed at adapting the knowledge the enemy from the stars has brought in order to reduce the disadvantage between them and the Aliens. Reverse-Engineering becomes possible if they manage to steal Alien weaponry or if an Alien assault ends up badly, leaving supplies and weapons behind.
  • They have a greater manpower and also greater research pools than the Aliens, to offset their technological disadvantage. The greater research pools compensate the fact that they don't know much about the enemy, and thus their Reverse-Engineering is understandably slow.

Opinions?

Not too bad there, Milarqui. I think our aliens should use plasma weaponry. Lasers seem too cliched, and biotech is advanced to the point that I don't think they would have a problem dealing with an industrial society.

I'm thinking about doing a NES and it's going to be the world after world war 3

I also have a quick question for you experianced mods: how long does it take to create a NES?

I've been having a NES idea for a while now. It takes place in 2003, but the Cold War is still raging. Japan and Vietnam were annexed as states, Korea is unified (Under the southern government), China annexes Mongolia, Soviet invasion of Afghanistan actually works, and therefore doesn't collapse due to economic pressure, which means the Iron Curtain is still up. However, the UK now only exists as a military alliance between a now independent Wales, Scotland, and England (Northern Ireland joined, well, Ireland). Also, East and West Germany re-unite under the West, which almost started WWIII. NATO/Warsaw relationships are shaky as England and USA are doing a joint invasion of Iraq, while the USSR does their own invasion.

A detailed timeline does exist, I'll post it tomorrow.

I'm intrigued.

I've been having a NES idea for a while now. It takes place in 2003, but the Cold War is still raging. Japan and Vietnam were annexed as states, Korea is unified (Under the southern government), China annexes Mongolia, Soviet invasion of Afghanistan actually works, and therefore doesn't collapse due to economic pressure, which means the Iron Curtain is still up. However, the UK now only exists as a military alliance between a now independent Wales, Scotland, and England (Northern Ireland joined, well, Ireland). Also, East and West Germany re-unite under the West, which almost started WWIII. NATO/Warsaw relationships are shaky as England and USA are doing a joint invasion of Iraq, while the USSR does their own invasion.

I'm sorry. What.

Has anyone here played any of the Fallout games? I've been looking to seeing what could be done with them as it comes to NES.
Reno ran one once...

A couple of ideas for Worldwar-NES:

Aliens
  • Aliens are created by the players. They can decide how they are physically and which kind of technology they have (Do they make bio-based weaponry? Do their planes have fusion drives? Do their tanks hover?), of course, with limits so that the Aliens aren't über-powerful. Making them more or less humanoid would work quite well.
  • The Aliens' technological research is directed at furthering their knowledge of the planet they have landed in, adapting themselves to the environment, developing better settlements for the new members of their species as they come...
  • Their manpower starts small, to compensate for their technological advantage, and will require to build special settlements to protect their population, but as time passes more reinforcements will come and, once they control enough land, they may call for a colonization fleet that will increase their manpower enormously.
Natives
  • All Natives are the same species (human, for example). They would be at a technological level equal to that of our 1930s. There would be 2 or 3 alliances of nations that are in a war when the Aliens come. It'd be up to the Native nations to choose whether to stop the war and fight the Aliens together, continue to fight against the other Native nations, help the Aliens or a combination of all of them.
  • Natives' technological research is directed at adapting the knowledge the enemy from the stars has brought in order to reduce the disadvantage between them and the Aliens. Reverse-Engineering becomes possible if they manage to steal Alien weaponry or if an Alien assault ends up badly, leaving supplies and weapons behind.
  • They have a greater manpower and also greater research pools than the Aliens, to offset their technological disadvantage. The greater research pools compensate the fact that they don't know much about the enemy, and thus their Reverse-Engineering is understandably slow.

Opinions?
That sounds cool. :)

I'm sorry. What.
Just because there is a series of events that doesn't immediately make sense isn't a reason to be dickish Thlayli. Be constructive!

What caused this set of events Omega?

Just because there is a series of events that doesn't immediately make sense isn't a reason to be dickish Thlayli. Be constructive!

What caused this set of events Omega?

Doesn't immediately make sense? That's like saying a Big Mac "doesn't immediately fit" into a balanced diet.

Let's try, "A bunch of random, cobbled-together :):):):):):):):) that I might somehow pass off as a NES on several unsuspecting players."

Seriously, just abandon the modicum of reality and say the moon men did it.

Seriously, though, why? Is there any one PoD that is somehow supposed to result in all those things or were you just working off chaos theory?

Don't like the collapse of the UK. Seems a bit arbitrary and pointless, the UK is a stable country and full devloution of government isn't about to happen any time soon. The rest is interesting though.

It is unlikely but could happen under certain circumstances. The same goes for everything else in the list. The problem Thlayli and I seem to be having with this is, how do you put all those unlikely events together in one setting?

The problem Thlayli and I seem to be having with this is, how do you put all those unlikely events together in one setting?

By typing them up together.

Frankly, I don't give a rat's arse what the setting is, as long as it's a good game. Tell "realism" to find a fat man in a wifebeater, get him to knock it out, take it to the bushes and give it a good time.

If it comes up to be a solid NES with good rules, a consisently updating mod that's half-decent, and great opportunity for each player to do something with it (and it being a NES, presumably means war and annexing everyone else), then it's fine by my book.

Question is, does omega's NES fit those criteria?

Don't like the collapse of the UK. Seems a bit arbitrary and pointless, the UK is a stable country and full devloution of government isn't about to happen any time soon. The rest is interesting though.

Everything else is even more arbitrary and pointless; you're just reflecting your own limited worldview on your lonely island. ;)

Top Bottom