New City Sites

Lord Parkin

aka emperor
Seems like there's a good potential city site on the desert-hill 2 tiles north of the Scout's current location. River for health bonus (and Levee later), tonnes of flood plains, a few hills, and Incense. Only one tile of overlap with the capital. A few desert tiles, but that can't be helped if we want to get to those nice flood plains.

Thoughts? :)

Yeah, a commerce city, with a few hammers for buildings. Probably easiest to whip out the first buildings though.

Bureaucracy!
What about it? A single word doesn't provide much context, I'm afraid... :p

Hmm, could think about that later on in the game. But it'll take the city a while to get to that stage.

I'm usually fairly reluctant to move the capital, especially earlier on - it costs 160 hammers, very expensive in the early game. But maybe we could think about it later on, once the city is actually getting its towns up and running. ;)

Eh, I move my capital for a bureaucracy boost all the time, if there's a better location with signifigantly more hammers/commerce. Not too early though of course, the new city has to already be fully developed and worthwhile for an immediate reward. But by the late medieval/early renaissance it's usually fine. Printing Press is often a good cue. At least in cases like this where our actual capital isn't that great.

Double Post :(

The suggested place seems best of the options visible so far. Short term health is problem for this city. With crab and sheep this city will start losing food at size 4. I think we could ignore farms from this city to prevent too fast growth and build just cottages.

Moving capitol is definately on option. However it might be that the window of usefulness isn't that long. If we get enough towns Free speech migh be better quite early.

If there are good city sites in the west, I might consider settling that first especially if the city provide horses or some new health resources.

Discussion was started in the turn discussion thread, but maybe this would be better place to continue discussion.

With current information I suggest that our 2nd city (Titan?) should be founded 1N from the horses. Even if not all tiles has been revealed, one can already see that it is good city site. There are several flood planes and riverside horses and even couple of forests to support health. Production is lot better here than in the Flood planes city suggested earlier and Immortals can be build every 6 turns (riverside horses yield 1F,4H and 3C) when horses are hooked up and naturally faster when mines get ready. This site might also be able to get us some of the cheap early wonders, if we want to try it. I would prefer Great Wall (This with Courthouses should provide us early game espionage edge) but if Stonehenge is still available that could also be possibility.

To support this I suggest that our 1st warrior should scout first little bit west but then head to south to check the tiles south from horses. 2nd warrior would support the settler to get safely to place where we want our city.

I agree, barring something awesome appearing to our west (like closer horses for instance) our second city should grab them. As it is, 1N of horses seems like the best spot and we should aim for there, though we should definitely get someone to explore at least two tiles south of the horses before actually settling, in just case there is food down there.

With Immortals hooked up, barbs will become a complete non-issue.

I agree with city 2 being founded 1 north of horses. Great early game city with room for another $$ city in the floodplains.

The thing about the horses site is that a it's a southern chokepoint that will draw barb attention, floodplains for growth and cottages, forests for chopping, and hills for production, with a possible chance of production recources later. Oh and horses for our UU. Realy what more could u want? Oh and a river 4 the health and $
The main reason to go for the Horse city would not be for a chokepoint, but to get access to Immortals sooner. That will in turn ensure our safety against barbarians for a considerable amount of time (until Spearmen appear). However, I do think that we really should scout the site before finalising a city placement - there may be another resource that could be grabbed with the Horse city that is currently fogged out.

Overall, I'm coming around to the idea of our first Settler heading 1N of the Horses. We'd need roads ASAP to get Horses back to the capital, of course.

EDIT: Double post.

We'd need roads ASAP to get Horses back to the capital, of course.

At first I thought this too but actually we can use 2nd city for producing the first Immortals and let the worker first create a farm and possibly mine (assuming monument and border pop) before starting the road to capital. Meanwhile capital could concentrate e.g. building more workers/settlers or create some of the early wonders.

More workers and settlers at first, I imagine. One of the new workers at the capital could take care of the road if necessary.

Top Bottom