City Index + City Plans

I agree we shouldn't convert to Buddhism.

I prefer settling either N or NE of horses. This opens up 1 or 2 other cities that could take advantage of the flood plains e.g. 1E from cows could use farm in 1 flood plains and there could be commerce city south from flood plains.

Settling above horses would eventually create 1 very strong commerce city. However, I see that our short term goal of this city is producing army of Immortals to support our expansion. Therefore the city should either have solid amount of hammers or enough food to whip. Neither of these alternatives allows utilizing cottages effectively. Furthermore our 3rd city will be commerce monster so this city doesn't had to be that commerce heavy.

Hi everyone :)

Just caught up with this game, looking good over the first few turns. I'm kind of surprised, however, that there is no talk of a production city between the two silk tiles to the SW of the capital. It might be a good idea for a fifth city, as we're probably not going to need much in the way of military or production before then. To begin with the silks can be farmed (for a 3/0/3 tile!), which would make it at least a break-even city in terms of cost. But when the pigs get pastured, and the rest of the grassland farmed, this will make an immense production/HE city.

Hi v8_mark and welcome to the team. There has been some discussion about this somewhere, but can't remeber exactly where (Turn discussion thread probably). It should definately be added to the list of cities. It might very well be our fifth city, because of the reasons you presented and it is also close to our capital.

Here is my suggestion concerning city placement using current information. Silver city Iapetus (4th city) is not visible. I would settle Titan NE from horses. in that area there would be room for small production city E from cows and then commerce/hybrid city South from flood plains. I would also consider settling a city to E from Rhea that would work some of its cottages for it as long as it can done it itself or when whipping. Later it could utilise farmed Flood plain tile and couple of hills. Eastern part of the map seems very dry. I've put 1 city site there, but the lack of food is evident and probably this city should be delayed until Calendar is available.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0302.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0302.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 289
Hmm, seeing the screenshots, I would probably prefer Titan being 1N of the Horses instead of 1NE. That way we'll have more food available (3 extra flood plains), and thus Titan will actually have a chance of becoming a decent city relatively quickly. This won't affect any of the other city placements, and the loss of a forest tile (underneath the city square) isn't too major when compared with the mid- to long-term benefits of the site.

Wait, I missed the discussion, but wouldn't Titan be better off 1E? Wastes a forest which is unfortunate but it gives us access to more of those floodplains sooner. Or is it going to be a production city rather than a commerce one? Two floodplains along with grassland farms may be enough to feed the hills.

Wait, I missed the discussion, but wouldn't Titan be better off 1E? Wastes a forest which is unfortunate but it gives us access to more of those floodplains sooner. Or is it going to be a production city rather than a commerce one? Two floodplains along with grassland farms may be enough to feed the hills.
Did you mean 1W instead of 1E (ie, closer towards the flood plains)? :confused: If so, I agree.

I was originally thinking we should found Titan where plako suggested it.

If we want this city to be a production city, we should found it 1 NE of horses and farm the two floodplains and the other grasslands. It won't be a bad production city, that's for sure.

If we want it to be a commerce city or more of a hybrid, then 1N of the horses would be best.

I'm actually supporting plako's position seeing that our third city is definitely a commerce city so we might want a production city to supplement that. On the other hand, our fourth city could serve as a production hybrid and our fifth (or should the order of those two switch? Depends on how urgent silver is and if there's any other seafood) is a production. Again, I'm quite divided by now. I'll come up with a final decision later. Well, soon. ;)

You can never have too many commerce cities. Cottages cottages cottages! :yumyum: We only have so many floodplains, I feel we should use them...

Our capital should supply decent enough production until we get a proper production city set up after silver/copper.

I agree with Joshua. More cottages are never a bad thing. Especially flood-plains-cottages. ;)

I still strongly suggest that we found Titan 1N of the Horses, not 1NE.

You can never have too many commerce cities. Cottages cottages cottages! :yumyum: We only have so many floodplains, I feel we should use them...

Our capital should supply decent enough production until we get a proper production city set up after silver/copper.

N from horse is definately ok. This map seems to have plenty of production city sites so actually it might be better to found hybrid city that could first provide production and later it could be more commerce oriented.

I now support 1N of the horses, because I figured that we would need some more commerce cities and that we, as Darius I, should play our strengths anyway. On top of that, the city gets a head start from growth due to a floodplain in its initial 8 tiles.

(Also, I made this decision BEFORE reading this thread so it wasn't affected by your decisions. Good to know we're on the same page here.)

I'll update the original post (I can edit now! Yay!)

Since we seem to agree on settling 1N of the horses, how about this for initial worker actions:

1. Worker pastures the horses.
2. Worker moves to the floodplain 1SW of the city center (1W of the horses) and cottages.
3. Worker moves north 1 tile on the floodplains 1W of the city center and cottages.
4. Worker moves 1NE (1N of the city center) and cottages the grassland.

By the time we get that done, we should at least get a border pop. EDIT: If we do get the Oracle, we will found Confucianism in Titan which will cause the city to pop borders in 2 turns. In that case, it would be better to have the workers cottage the other floodplains rather than the grassland (in step 4 of my plan).

This order assumes that we have roads connected to the city, which plako has, if I'm not mistaken, already included in his plan for the Oracle. EDIT - No roads are planned, but we can still make Immortals out of Titan.

Since we seem to agree on settling 1N of the horses, how about this for initial worker actions:

1. Worker pastures the horses.

By the time we get that done, we should at least get a border pop. This order assumes that we have roads connected to the city, which plako has, if I'm not mistaken, already included in his plan for the Oracle.

Actually the plan focuses only getting Oracle and horses pastured as soon as possible it doesn't include road between the cities. On turn 61 oracle is ready and horses pastured. There are 6 improved tiles around saturn. This is probably enough so we could send 2 workers from saturn to build road to horse city. I assume that Saturn would be producing settlers and workers and Titan immortals so there is no need to have road right away.

Your plan is ok. The city grows fast enough with cottaged flood plains. At first I considered more production oriented start with a farm or two and utilizing mines and whipping to get initial army faster, but maybe we can build up our army little bit slower and focus on max commerce.

Okay. So once Saturn's about to get the Oracle (if it does), we can send the workers out to connect the horses. We should probably start roading the tile that's 1S of the easternmost cottage (the culture we have in the capital over the river should provide us with trade route access, right? Or is that only if you have Sailing?) and go from there.

The floodplains will offer plenty of food for whipping as well as research.

Saturn's cultural borders will pop on turn 50. Utilising rivers for transferring horses requires sailing. I don't know how cultural borders affect to this. At least it seems that horses are available to Titan without road or sailing right after pasturing them.

Top Bottom