Civ IV in-game World Builder Manual

Re-uploaded the file.. This time I downloaded it after upload to make sure it's not corrupted. :)

Anyway in the WB to move the cursor over a item (Resource) and it tells you what is there. Or a option that would do that. Sometimes when in it I see some of the hard to tell resources and I forget what they are. I thought it would be easy if it was like In Game and tell you what was in the square you were over?

Thanks in advance
Fenryial

Is there any info on that new feature they added in the 1.09 patch? The "regenerate map" button, in other words?

I tried using it but it didn't seem to do anything. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

A helpful trick I discovered when using WB. I noticed that if I have already saved a WB file under a certain name (say, My Game), try it out, and then I go into WB and tweak it some more, and then try saving it under the same name as before (i.e., My Game), the changes will not be saved when I load the same game. From comments in this thread it sounds like restarting the game may solve this (correct me if I'm wrong). But I also found that simply saving it under a different name (i.e., My Game 2) will cause the save to retain all changes, and you can immediately load without needing to exit and restart.

Camber said:
A helpful trick I discovered when using WB. I noticed that if I have already saved a WB file under a certain name (say, My Game), try it out, and then I go into WB and tweak it some more, and then try saving it under the same name as before (i.e., My Game), the changes will not be saved when I load the same game. From comments in this thread it sounds like restarting the game may solve this (correct me if I'm wrong). But I also found that simply saving it under a different name (i.e., My Game 2) will cause the save to retain all changes, and you can immediately load without needing to exit and restart.

I noticed that too. I'm guessing the cached data is interfering. Or at least the problem vanished when I shutdown the game, emptied the cache and started it back up. All the changes stayed put after that.

Ok - Im very keen to try creating some cool new units for Civ 4. I can use 3d Studio and other 3d modelling software such as autocad, maya and rhino. Looking at the graphics in the game, they dont look too complicated - simple polygon 3d models, probably solids with mapped textures.

Problem: There does not seem to be currently a way to modify or create new units, however, other than apply skins (different colours) to the existing models.

My summary of the notes on modding unit graphics in Stickys "modders Guide to Civ 4" (which you may wish to check out) is this:

the graphics used in the game were created on a piece of software called "milkshake 3d" and are NIF files, which are not currently exportable.

Does anyone know how to import the NIF files into 3D studio, or export them back?
is this "milkshake 3d" software (whatever that is!:)) available?

the models cant be too complex... surely if they can be opened and saved in more common modelling software they could be accessible. it would be very easy to manipulate the existing 3d models to create new units, and with some more effort create new ones. then scenarios on Civ 4 will really fly.
anybody any ideas?

...and with the latest patch, the "regenerate map" function works! Yay! ;)

It may be my browser, but neither Thunderfall's link nor Dale's link could be accessed. I get "host not found" in the error report. I'm behind a government firewall, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Very respectfully,

Cowabunga

Cowabunga said:
It may be my browser, but neither Thunderfall's link nor Dale's link could be accessed. I get "host not found" in the error report. I'm behind a government firewall, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Very respectfully,

Cowabunga

I think it's being behind a government firewall :p.

I was able to download it fine.

Req

Sabre21 said:
Dale
I am editing this to add another question. I went ahead and continued with the modding instructions even though I could not find the other civilization's units to remove. So I changed everything to ocean. But I can still see the outlines of the original terrain, even though its all blue. Is this supposed to happen? I scroll out using my mouse wheel and can see the continents that were created even though they are blue. Any comments on this?

I've got exactly the same problem, but saving and reloading it doesn't seem to do the job. I can still see the outlines of the continents that were there, which looks awfull :( Are there any other known solutions to this problem?

The link on your post appears to have some issues ... the server will not respond (as if they are blocking zip downloads).

Can you put this on a server where it could be downloaded?

The civfanatics.net server seems to be having problems at the moment. That link should work once it's back up again.

When I try to enter the world builder on my custom game, it's simply not on the menu, but if i load a scenario the world builder is there. what am I doing wrong? Plz help:confused:

Have you got the "No cheating" option checked? With that check the World builder isn't available.

for some reason my 'CheatCode=0' line is missing from my .ini file. I've only went in once to turn on copying every other scanline and now it's gone. Is there any way to replace it without messing things up?

Top Bottom