Ancient/Pre-Steam Unit Graphics

Speaking of "ancient mariners," (well, maybe not so ancient), even though it was never built, that monster "Duke of Kent" ship Joseph Tucker designed for the Royal Navy in 1809 might also be a nice frill too, but certainly not a priority - just a "would be nice" type of thing.

A couple of old stand-ins for Avars/ Alans I had made for Palaiologos way back.

Attachments

• Substitutes.png
    Substitutes.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,134
These look great, Tanelorn. Thanks!

Lets get this one started
1st Light archer, 3 kingdoms era -Eastern Tsin to Sui dynasties:
2nd Light archer,T'ang dynasty:
3rd Chiang or Northern tribal militia:

Attachments

• Tanelorn 3 Kingdoms light archer.png
    Tanelorn 3 Kingdoms light archer.png
    3 KB · Views: 345
  • Tanelorn T'ang light archer.png
    Tanelorn T'ang light archer.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 296
  • Tanelorn Chiang or Northern militia.png
    Tanelorn Chiang or Northern militia.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 292
I can't quite remember - which dynasty first fielded the Chu'ko'no in significant numbers? Those repeating crossbows were kind of funky...

(Neo)Assyrian and (Neo)Babylonian infantry types. Kisir Sharruti elites (red), Qurubuti regulars (blue, green) and Babylonian/ Neo-Hittite auxiliaries. Their shields are supposed to be more conical than convex.
Small fix:
Tanelorn Assyrobabylonian Spears.png

Attachments

• Tanelorn Assyrobabylonian Inf.png
    Tanelorn Assyrobabylonian Inf.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,085
Last edited:
Pretty fabulous, but what's a neo-Assyrian?

I believe the Assyrian civilization as defined between the Dark Age of Antiquity in about 1200 BC and it's fall to the Neo-Babylonian and Persian onslaught the 7th Century BC, if I'm not mistaken, was termed historiographically the Neo-Assyrian Empire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Assyrian_Empire ;)

An Aramean skirmisher and Chaldeans/ Babylonians. Switch the headband for the hat for later Babylonians or Persian vassals.
Sidenote: It is worn up to the Spanish reconquista by Jewish militias IIRC, for some reason.
-edit- re-uploaded.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Chaldeans.png
    Tanelorn Chaldeans.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 885
Last edited:
Thanks G, honestly I can't take credit for it- these are just very easy convesions.
Well, a recipe is ony as good as its ingredients, so I thank you Gareth*. :thumbsup:
*Tomcat on the horizon, perchance?

Inspired by Gapetit's latest modification of Mathias Koster's DAROAE, I decided to expand the unit roster for my gaming pleasure.
So, to the left, two units of generic Balkan levy (for Byzantium, Epirus, Serbia -and Bulgaria, with a mind to use them in Maciej's Fading Lights later-)
The mercenaries of the Grand Catalan Company next, coming from the Sicilian Vespers on Aragon's side and fighting for and against Byzantine factions, the Turks, the Latins, other mercenaries and ravaging the countryside. Finally they turned against their last employer, the Duchy of Athens, decimated the knights of the Latin kingdoms in the battle of Halmyros and took Athens (and Thebes, and Hypate) for themselves. Normally they used both the coutell pike and azegaya javelins in the same loose formations.

Viglai, i.e. Lat. Vigiles are Byzantine local provincial militias. Viglai or fylakes politai are town militia. The can also be mounted. Tsakones, recruited from the Doric speaking population in the Despotate of Mystra are loyal to the Paleologoidynasty.

Allagitai regulars next.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Balkan levy and Catalan Copmpany.png
    Tanelorn Balkan levy and Catalan Copmpany.png
    11 KB · Views: 901
  • Tanelorn Byzantine Viglai.png
    Tanelorn Byzantine Viglai.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 903
Last edited:
Was the Duke of Athens, who was a supporting character in Shakespeare's Play, "A Midsummer Night's Dream, inspired by the ruling title of the Medieval Crusader state, or do you even know?

Tzangratores "crab men" (Latin Canceratores) or Tzangrotoxotai were Byzantine troops armed with le "Latin bow" or tzangra (cancer, crab) are mentioned since the 1020s and are certainly in use by the 13th century under western influence. Always few in number they are better paid and equiped than other archers. The contigent from the capital is led by a “Stratopedarches of the Tzangratores”. They are certainly attested in Constatinople and the garissons of Thessaly.

Bulgarian crossbowmen from Tarnovo would look similar to this and unlike their Serbian or Latin equivalents.
Englinovarangoi next.

@Tech. I d' love to, but I don't have time to make that right now.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Tzangratores.png
    Tanelorn Tzangratores.png
    3 KB · Views: 775
Last edited:
Beginning in the second half of the 11th century, the Varangian guard started losing its Scandinavian character as more and more Anglo-Saxons joined the regiment following the battle of Hastings. By the 13th century, the Varangian guard was more or less entirely English in composition (Englinovarangoi, Keltes Pelekyforoi). They even voiced their acclamations of the emperor in English. Their weapon was always the axe "pelekys". The last reference to the Varangians comes from around the turn of the 15th century (1404).

Attachments

• Tanelorn Englinovarangoi.png
    Tanelorn Englinovarangoi.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:

The alforrats were Aragonese light cavalry sergeants simillar to the (even lighter) Castillian jinetes. Alforrats can be found in Spain in the armies of the Kingdom of Aragon but also in Sicilian armies and in the armies of the Catalan Duchy of Athens as mercenaries.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Alforrat Jinette.png
    Tanelorn Alforrat Jinette.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 799
Top Bottom