Korean War Revisited

Patine,

I hope you don't mind but I have had a little play around with your units file (from the original game) to incorporate some more up to date infantry units. I can send you the bmp if you like them. I'm more than willing to spend a bit more time making alterations and refining the units (this is just a quick cut and paste job).

The United Nations units mostly seemed to be equipped by the US. In reality this would mean that they all looked pretty much the same, but I used a bit of artistic licence to add some variety.

Let me know what you think, what you would like altered and I can make changes.

These look awesome, McMonkey! I also agree about creative liberties with the different UN nationality's issued firearms and other gear. You needn't fuss too much over Soviet units (other than MiG-15's, which are actually given to the Chinese anyways) or A-bombers, though; as you can see on my previous file, I have other plans for those slots. But I love the rest! When you think it looks finished, please e-mail it to me (you should still have my address) and I'll look it over. Thanks greatly!

They are very good. I have a couple of quibbles, however. The North Korean guerrilla (I assume), is actually a Viet Cong, as far as I can tell. It looks very out of place in a Korean War scenario. Also, the British and Canadian helmets look more like something from the Death Star. Both armies wore something similar to the traditional British helmet from both world wars, or often, a beret.

I'm glad you like them Patine. I didn't want to lose the individual character of your UN units but being historically accurate nearly all of the UN troops (bar the British Commonwealth) would have looked like standard US Infantry with only the flag to differentiate them. I will work on them some more. If it would be possible to send me your current units.bmp that would be great.

Turks in Korea

Tech, I was looking for source pictures of NK Irregulars but ran out of time yesterday. I agree that the headgear needs changing but I think I can use the rest of that unit. The British and Canadian Armies did wear the Mk III 'Turtle' helmet (below) in the later part of WWII and in Korea alongside the Mark II 'Kettle' steel helmet but I agree that it is an ugly beast. I was thinking about giving one of them a Mk1 and the other a black beret or khaki cap comforter as well as possibly the camoflage smock if I can find one (see below).

I did find this image of Canadian Infantry in Korea where they appear to be wearing a mixture of British and US style equipment, but I think to keep them distinct I will stick with the British issue kit.

*puts on unbearably annoying military geek hat of all-knowledge* - Drew's right Tech, the Commonwealth forces had largely switched to the Mk III Death Star turtle helmet by the time of Korea, which continued in use right up to the 1980s. In fact the Canadians had been amongst the first to wear it in WW2 in the Normandy campaign. My old man has a pic of himself sporting this very headgear in his National Service days (1950-52 I think; he served in Malaya rather than Korea but you get the point)

http://canadaatwar.weebly.com/helmets.html

My grandfather was in the RCAF in those days, as a belly-gunner in WWII, and a trainer of pilots during the Korean War (though he never actually set foot in Korea; he did all the training over here), and given all the photos he has from the era are planes and airmen (such as a cool one of him and three war buddies taken in front of the wing of his bomber that sits in a frame on top of one of my bookshelves), I imagine, even if he was still alive (he passed away in 2003), he wouldn't be able to shed light on this infantry helmet issue with more authority than failine and his old man anyways. :p

And, sounds great, McMonkey. I'm posting this from work, so I'll send you when I arrive home.

When it comes to the Canadian Army and the uniforms used in Korea:
Winter: http://mpmuseum.org/postuniform/battledress/1954_korea_2.jpg
Summer: http://mpmuseum.org/postuniform/bush/bush1front.jpg

Note: The Canadian Battledress uniform was more greenish in color than the British battledress. Also, if memory serves me correctly, the Canadian Army went back to the WWII pattern helmet shortly after the war: http://regimentalrogue.tripod.com/blog/Heller.JPG (from 1956)

I think the BD for summer and olive green tunic and trousers for winter applied to the British as well as the Canadians in Korea. You are right about the slightly greener shade of khaki drab for Canadian BD, which was apparently a better quality than the Brit version in both WW2 and post-War

http://www.onesixth.co.uk/vb4forum/showthread.php?1566-Combat-Dress-1950-and-1960-Patterns

Did you get my e-mail, Monkey? I hope I didn't mistype your address.

I must apologize McMonkey, but I honestly don't remember if you'd e-mailed me the bitmap version of the units file above (or an even more updated version), or if that hasn't yet happened yet. Either way, I can't find it on my hard drive, so either you haven't yet sent it, or I've misplaced it. I again apologize for forgetting this, but it's been a busy week or two (though people here never from the frequency of my posts, the thing is I had been posting on many of my few free moments), but please remind me of whether it was sent or not. I went to check my Saved Mail folder but, despite being promised unlimited space there by AoL, the outfit that took over Netscape, which my almost two-decade old e-mail address belonged to, my computer literally ground to a crawl when I opened that. I must have TONNES of junk in there, probably a lot I don't need anymore or remember why it's there, and it needs to cleaned out.

Sorry Patine, I had not sent it. I have just sent to your Netscape e-mail address. I intended to do some more work on it but got caught up with my SCW project and kinda forgot. I may well do some bits and pieces and send you an update, but for now this file should be adequate. The only unit I'm not happy with is the North Korean Irregular. I'm not sure what to do with his headgear.

Top Bottom