[MODCOMP] Sniper Mod

Fachy said:
Great mod! I thought the sniper was too over powered first, especially that he's not costy to produce.. but then realized it was balanced with his relatively weak firepower

Question for mod combining though: I want to use the civ4modder to combine several mods. Do I have to do anything special to the .ini files? Or just cram them all outside the assets folder as if I'm using only one mod?
Yep that is correct, on all accounts.

I just discovered a terrible mistake in the mod!
I was sitting back and thinking: why can't a tank fire on a unit a tile away without actually having to move up to it? Then I realized that, if the average distance between major cities is 3-4 tiles, then the tile is something around 50-100 kilometers!

That means, that it's impossible for a poor rifled guy to hit anything 50 km away (the best I've heard of was a Russian Dragonov, it can HURT -not kill- 4 km away)

My suggestion is to make the sniper invisible if an enemy unit "stepped on it", and then it would have the option to expose itself and fire at it, or leave it alone to pass. Also the sniper would be able to attack like other units of course. Otherwise we're assuming the sniper's bullet range is like 200 km away!!

If that wasn't acceptable, I'd like to know where can I adjust it to be that way, for a perfectly realistic mod ^^

Fachy said:
I just discovered a terrible mistake in the mod!
I was sitting back and thinking: why can't a tank fire on a unit a tile away without actually having to move up to it? Then I realized that, if the average distance between major cities is 3-4 tiles, then the tile is something around 50-100 kilometers!

That means, that it's impossible for a poor rifled guy to hit anything 50 km away (the best I've heard of was a Russian Dragonov, it can HURT -not kill- 4 km away)

My suggestion is to make the sniper invisible if an enemy unit "stepped on it", and then it would have the option to expose itself and fire at it, or leave it alone to pass. Also the sniper would be able to attack like other units of course. Otherwise we're assuming the sniper's bullet range is like 200 km away!!

If that wasn't acceptable, I'd like to know where can I adjust it to be that way, for a perfectly realistic mod ^^

This is very easy, just set "Hills Increase Sniper Range" to false in the configuration file. This way snipers will only be able to shoot into the square next to them.

Will they do that with or without moving into that square? Because if it's without moving, then it's the same problem: their bullets travels 50-100 km!

Fachy said:
Will they do that with or without moving into that square? Because if it's without moving, then it's the same problem: their bullets travels 50-100 km!

Well, he could be stnading on the edge of his square and firing into the closest part of the adjacent square so the distance may only be a couple of hundred feet.

Your suggestion of having him intercept units moving through his square wouldn't work for a hotseat game or a play by email game because the owner of the sniper wouldn't be there to make the decision.

Roger Bacon

Roger, if we consider your "edge of the tile" theory then archers, musket men, and certanily tanks all should be able to fire at the adjacent tiles without having to move unto them!

And about having him "set a trap" on his own tile, it could be done if he's in a mode similar to sentry; so that he'd fire once stepped on by enemies. Or he could fire at selective units when their turn ends while they stand on him. In all cases, he'd be invisible, and he could walk up to them and shoot (and thus be visible) if their turn ends in a tile close to him.

Moin, (norther german greeting, like "Hello")

I have a couple of questions.

First this is a great MOD...

So I want to Combine a couple of MODs to my CustomAsset Folder, so the would actually no longer be a MOD, but part of the Game... Sniper Spy FieldDoc Sonar TrainingBarracks and a couple of new Units, so I have read somewhere in this Thread there is a Civ4Modder who does this... Did I understand that correct?! And If yes, where can I get this Program!

Further on, I would like to know with which Program you do your dds-Files, couse I would like to change some Promo pic ;) And would like to know how...

Last question, can I use the Sniper Promo for my UU, based on Navy SEALs?

Thx for your help....

German Lonewolf said:
Moin, (norther german greeting, like "Hello")

I have a couple of questions.

First this is a great MOD...
Thanks

So I want to Combine a couple of MODs to my CustomAsset Folder, so the would actually no longer be a MOD, but part of the Game... Sniper Spy FieldDoc Sonar TrainingBarracks and a couple of new Units, so I have read somewhere in this Thread there is a Civ4Modder who does this... Did I understand that correct?! And If yes, where can I get this Program!
[/QUOTE] I have no idea sorry.

German Lonewolf said:
Further on, I would like to know with which Program you do your dds-Files, couse I would like to change some Promo pic ;) And would like to know how...
I use PS CS to do all of my DDS work.

German Lonewolf said:
Last question, can I use the Sniper Promo for my UU, based on Navy SEALs?
Please don't, the emblem is really for US snipers, not Navy SEALS. Here is the link to an image of the navy Seal emblem. http://hspig.org/albums/SEAL-Photos/SEAL_Emblem.highlight.jpg

if that doesn't work for you then I can work with you to find something better.

Well, there was a misanderstanding, my UU is only based on the seals, but is a specforce of the German Army, called "KSK" (Kommando Spezial Kräfte - Comando Special Forces), they are real, but they don't have a special batch for sniper, they use the German Batch, German military uses the same batch for all units...

So if you could help me...

I am Trying to get that program, don't know where to get from, so I have to look.

What emblem are you talking about... btw...

German Lonewolf said:
Well, there was a misanderstanding, my UU is only based on the seals, but is a specforce of the German Army, called "KSK" (Kommando Spezial Kräfte - Comando Special Forces), they are real, but they don't have a special batch for sniper, they use the German Batch, German military uses the same batch for all units...

So if you could help me...

I am Trying to get that program, don't know where to get from, so I have to look.

What emblem are you talking about... btw...

Here's a link to the KSK emblem that you can use:

??!?!?!?!?!

I thing we are talking sideways..... :confused:

Well I do have enough pics of the KSK or emblems of them...

And back to Civ IV, I already have a german UU KSK, all I want is the promo sniper to add to my KSK unit, that's all...

and for that I am trying to change your dds fils, promo sniper dds, the one with the smiley and the heart... :sniper:

Hope we talking now the right way ;)

German Lonewolf said:
??!?!?!?!?!

I thing we are talking sideways..... :confused:

Well I do have enough pics of the KSK or emblems of them...

And back to Civ IV, I already have a german UU KSK, all I want is the promo sniper to add to my KSK unit, that's all...

and for that I am trying to change your dds fils, promo sniper dds, the one with the smiley and the heart... :sniper:

Hope we talking now the right way ;)

LOL, sorry about that, anyways, you might want to try GIMP to edit the promotion images. It's free where-as Photoshop is not. Here's the link to GIMP: http://www.gimp.org/

I have an error when compiling it into the dll here's the code:
I didn't edit any of the code in the below file I unzipped the file and tried to complile!

This is from file cvdllwidgetdata.cpp
the error message: CvDLLWidgetData.cpp(2437) : error C2027: use of undefined type 'CvActionButtonInfo'
CvDLLWidgetData.cpp(2437) : error C2228: left of '.getHelp' must have class/struct/union type

Code:
            //// BEGIN ActionButtons2
            else if (GC.getActionInfo(widgetDataStruct.m_iData1).getCommandType() == COMMAND_ACTIONBUTTON)
            {
                szBuffer += CvWString::format(L"%s%s", NEWLINE, GC.getActionButtonInfo(GC.getActionInfo(widgetDataStruct.m_iData1).getCommandData()).getHelp()).c_str();
            }
            //// END ActionButtons2

rebel5555 said:
I have an error when compiling it into the dll here's the code:
I didn't edit any of the code in the below file I unzipped the file and tried to complile!

This is from file cvdllwidgetdata.cpp
the error message: CvDLLWidgetData.cpp(2437) : error C2027: use of undefined type 'CvActionButtonInfo'
CvDLLWidgetData.cpp(2437) : error C2228: left of '.getHelp' must have class/struct/union type

Code:
            //// BEGIN ActionButtons2
            else if (GC.getActionInfo(widgetDataStruct.m_iData1).getCommandType() == COMMAND_ACTIONBUTTON)
            {
                szBuffer += CvWString::format(L"%s%s", NEWLINE, GC.getActionButtonInfo(GC.getActionInfo(widgetDataStruct.m_iData1).getCommandData()).getHelp()).c_str();
            }
            //// END ActionButtons2

Did you only try to compile the files included or did you copy the files included with the sniper mod into the SDK files and try to compile?

I only included the files in the sniper mod that got changed. Also are you trying to compile it for the regular SDK or Warlords SDK?

TheLopez said:
Did you only try to compile the files included or did you copy the files included with the sniper mod into the SDK files and try to compile?

I only included the files in the sniper mod that got changed. Also are you trying to compile it for the regular SDK or Warlords SDK?
I know what was wrong I forgot to add the code for the actionbuttons.
I'm adding this mod and others to my mod and I've been mergeing them together and this was my only problem so far. Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

I''m having difficulty trying to get this to work for Warlords. Currently I get two XML errors about UNITAI_GENERAL in Info class being incortrect. Also after I do load the game the snipers do not have any action buttons. Any idea where I should look to fix those problems?

CSimian, the sniper mod has not been released for Warlords yet.

I know, I'm jumping the gun. I'm looking at using it to learn how some of these python scripts work. I'm thinking about doing something similar for submarines and cruise missiles. Basically having the subs being able to take pot shots at naval vessels with chance of failure and chance of being hit back based on type of sub and promotion. Also thinking of making precision guidance (GPS or laser guided type of munitions) for cruise missiles where you can choose your target and have a chance of missing your target (maybe do damage to a different unit instead or more collateral damage).

Hi, I've converted the code to Warlords for 2nd Revolution and uploaded it if anyone wants it. I've only uploaded the DLL file.

Download link: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=3210

Just download the original Sniper Mod and then copy the Warlords DLL file over the top of the Civ4 1.61 one.

Dale

Thanks Dale

Top Bottom