East... or West?

Civ4rulesTH

Warlord
In the viking scenario I've noticed that West Francia is actually furthest East and East Francia is on the West. :) Sorry if this has already been pointed out.

Doesn´t it depend on the location where you are?

If you are located in America, the rightmost Tip of Francia can only be reached by traveling westwards and the leftmnost tip can only be reached by travelling eastwards
Therefore it sounds correct, in a certain way :D

Proteus said:
Doesn´t it depend on the location where you are?

If you are located in America, the rightmost Tip of Francia can only be reached by traveling westwards and the leftmnost tip can only be reached by travelling eastwards
Therefore it sounds correct, in a certain way :D

That makes absolutely no sence...

Well, as Willowmound correctly assumed, I was just joking :D
But think about it, for an american (or, better, someone on the opposite side of the globe) west francia lies in the east and east francia in the west,
just like for an european the east cost of america lies in the west and the west coast of america lies in the east.
So someone who doesn´t care about naming conventions and just names locations relative to his own position might indeed name the west coats of america east coast of america and vice versa (or west francia east francia and east francia west francia, if he has a map of the world in his hands, with his own position in the middle, and francia split in two, with east francia on the western tip of the map and west francia on the eastern tip of the map :D

Proteus said:
Well, as Willowmound correctly assumed, I was just joking :D
But think about it, for an american (or, better, someone on the opposite side of the globe) west francia lies in the east and east francia in the west,
just like for an european the east cost of america lies in the west and the west coast of america lies in the east.
So someone who doesn´t care about naming conventions and just names locations relative to his own position might indeed name the west coats of america east coast of america and vice versa (or west francia east francia and east francia west francia, if he has a map of the world in his hands, with his own position in the middle, and francia split in two, with east francia on the western tip of the map and west francia on the eastern tip of the map :D

First of all, there is this thing called the International Dateline. It is located in the Pacific. It is an artificial and globally agreed-upon reference line. It defines where East ends, and West begins.

Second, East Francia and West Francia were actual places, like England or Mexico. After the death of Charlemagne, his sons split Francia into three parts. East Francia was ruled by Louis the German. West Francia was ruled by Charles the Bald. Central Francia was ruled by Lothair I.

In this error-filled Civ4 scenario, what is called West Francia is actually Central Francia. What is called East Francia is actually West Francia. The actual East Francia is outside the map.

There is nothing to argue about, joking or not ;)

That´s why I made up this theoretical person which doesn´t care about international conventions (or history of countries) and just uses its own position as reference ;)

Top Bottom