Ranged units defend ranged attacks with ranged strength

Amarr Emperor

Chieftain
After 3 months of playing civ, I finally figured something out. Ranged units defend ranged attacks with ranged strength. Damn lol no wonder my hwachas raped a gang of crossbowmen so easily.

I think i'm right, even though nobody officially gave any formula to it. If i'm wrong then please correct me.

I wasn't aware that violent sexual assault occured in CiV.

We must be playing different games.

After 3 months of playing civ, I finally figured something out. Ranged units defend ranged attacks with ranged strength. Damn lol no wonder my hwachas raped a gang of crossbowmen so easily.

I think i'm right, even though nobody officially gave any formula to it. If i'm wrong then please correct me.

Yes, been aware of this for a while. First noticed back in vanilla when archers seemed to take less damage from other archers than spearmen did. Another reason why it's better to take out ranged units with melee units since they suffer more damage from them (usually) than other ranged.

Not sure it's always the case, 'cos my SOTL seem to sink frigates easier than privateers - but I haven't checked the stats.

does city attack count as ranged? this might be why siege weapons are a joke compared to archers : archers have more ranged strength, thus take less damage from cities.

Yes, been aware of this for a while. First noticed back in vanilla when archers seemed to take less damage from other archers than spearmen did.

Even if OP is true, spearman still have much higher combat strength (11) than archer's range strength (7).

Another reason why it's better to take out ranged units with melee units since they suffer more damage from them (usually) than other ranged.

I believe this is simply a comparison of combat strength. Given an era, melee units have higher combat strength than ranged counter parts (e.g. warrior vs archer)

Even if OP is true, spearman still have much higher combat strength (11) than archer's range strength (7).

Well, I haven't tested it recently, I was referring to early when the game came out. I believe archer's RCS was closer to Spearmen CS then - might be mistaken though. Regardless, archers did more damage to melee units than to other archers. I think this had to do with the melee units completely lacking an RCS because it appears having a RCS reduces damage from range attacks. I dinked around with my mod giving all Gunpowder style units - Musketmen, tanks, etc - a Range 1 attack with RCS about 75% of their CS and they still took less damage from range attacks despite RCS being lower than CS.

The experiment was a failure overall since I couldn't figure out how to script the AI to handle it and it really screwed promotion bonuses - Drill/Shock didn't add to RCS so the range attack was pathetic.

yeah, what you said is also a major problem with RCS causing the attacking ranged unit to do more damage to the defending ranged. Since melee gets a bonus on defence with their promotions and ranged don't...

I always thought only chariot archers take damage using ranged strength but archers take damage using base strength.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I wasn't aware that violent sexual assault occured in CiV.

We must be playing different games.

It's right underneath the "raze" option in some versions.

Kind of like some lost animal pictures have "lost doge", except different because Venice is actually in this game.

Top Bottom