Was this the civ of my childhood?

Revent

Will SIP
Hello all,

As a kid, I used to LOVE playing Civ, the idea of creating my own kingdom and conquering other people was just amazing. Problem is, I can't remember what version of Civ I started with. I only have hints which may point me to the right direction.

-I could upgrade my palace and make it look nicer as time went on.
-The units looked like stamps rather than actual 3d icons.
-Triremes could get lost at sea.
-I last played this game over 15-16+ years ago

Was this Civ I? or perhaps II?

Thank you!

Point 1: Civ1 or Civ3 (Civ2 had a throne room)
Point 2: Civ1
Point 3: Civ1 or 2 (3 didn't have triremes)
Point 4: Civ1, 2 or 3.

My conclusion: Civ1.
:)

It's fantastic.

What is the difference between Civ 1 and CivWin?

I did play my game on a Windows machine :)

As far as i can tell, no difference in the mechanics of the game under hood (bonnet?). The graphics are nicer in CivWIN, since it can use more system RAM, but all of the bugs, exploits, features and cheats that others report here for CivDOS are also present in CivWIN. The layout of the game's information is different, and that's about it.

The graphics are nicer in CivWIN

Entirely subjective, as I personally prefer CivDOS (= Civ 1) graphics :)

but all of the bugs, exploits, features and cheats that others report here for CivDOS are also present in CivWIN

I think that's inaccurate: as far as I remember, the fast settler cheat disappeared in CivWin... Anyone can confirm ?

as far as I remember, the fast settler cheat disappeared in CivWin... Anyone can confirm ?

It definitely works here. But do not know if there are later versions of CivWIN where it might have been fixed? Mine calls itself "Version 1.2.0 (c)1993". And, ashamed to admit, i never knew about the "no orders" order until i re-read the manual recently. For years i just used to Sentry then click on the unit and un-Sentry, and it'd be ready to go next turn.

However, it continually annoyed me that this trick never worked when the unit was inside a city, haha! I never realized that the re-awakened unit had a fresh set of movement points, because it was always a unit i didn't want to move, just wanted it to wait a turn where it was. So that "cheat" definitely works in CivWIN too :blush:

Must correct myself: there is a difference i've noticed while reading here: the colors are different. Each civ has it's own immutable color and civs are "twinned", i.e. two civs share each color and cannot exist simultaneously. But in CivWIN my colors are all different than what is written here about CivDOS. Except for Barbarians, they're still red.

At first i saw a post and thought "he's got the colors wrong," but then noticed that the "wrongness" was consistent; the Greeks + English are both referred to as the same color, the Russians + Romans, et cetera. So the twinning of civs is the same in WIN and DOS, only the colors got shuffled when they ported the game to Windows.

For me in CivWIN:

White = Indians + Mongols
Yellow = Russians + Romans
Green = English + Greeks
Dk Blue = French + Germans
Pink = Americans + Chinese
Lt Blue = Aztecs + Egyptians
Gray = Zulus + Babylonians

Entirely subjective, as I personally prefer CivDOS (= Civ 1) graphics :)

I think that's inaccurate: as far as I remember, the fast settler cheat disappeared in CivWin... Anyone can confirm ?
This is an old thread, but I can shed some light on this. CivWin / WinCiv has the fast settler cheat, while CivNet (which has the same graphics) does not.

This is an old thread, but I can shed some light on this. CivWin / WinCiv has the fast settler cheat, while CivNet (which has the same graphics) does not.

While this zombie's afoot, must correct myself again... CivWIN does not have the SHIFT-56 cheat. But it is capable of producing a 1-Turn Win, which CivDOS can not.

I have read a lot of such comparisons here, and surprised to see that no one mentions the unit handling difference. In Civnet, I can right click next to a unit, which will move even if it is not selected. That spares a lot of time when there are a lot of units, and their movements depend on each other, as I don't have to issue a lot of wait commands. I am playing the dos version in recent years, but planning to switch to civnet just for this feature. Thoughts?

Top Bottom